Sylvain Distin

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Sylvain has had a period of not being back to his best,” the Everton manager said. “He is not someone I want to use on the bench at the age of 36. But he is a very important player for us.”

He's still employed by the club, so he needs to be professional and play his part.

Imagine if Jagielka gets an injury on Thursday! Domestos sales will hit the roof.

But Antolin Alcaraz’s injury, half an hour in, forced a significant reshuffle. And with no natural central defender in reserve – Martinez strangely insisted afterwards that Sylvain Distin was “not someone I would use on the bench” - it was Barry who dropped in alongside Phil Jagielka, with Muhamed Besic on in midfield.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...nalysis-gareth-barry-shines-emergency-8036420

Seems an odd quote, so is he saying that Distin will either be in the starting 11 or not in the squad at all?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...nalysis-gareth-barry-shines-emergency-8036420

Seems an odd quote, so is he saying that Distin will either be in the starting 11 or not in the squad at all?

“Sylvain has had a period of not being back to his best,” the Everton manager said. “He is not someone I want to use on the bench at the age of 36. But he is a very important player for us.”

Sometimes the slightest shift in nuance can be Martinez's enemy. I think he means Sylvain's going through a prolonged and particularly brutal period of menstruation at the moment, and with the bench being fairly light in colour it's not wise for him to be sitting there for and hour and a half.

Hibbert on the team sheet previous 8 matches.

Distin "is not someone I want to use on the bench [at his age]."

Three years makes a lot of difference?

He should've been on the bench on Saturday. Simple as that. There should always be a replacement centre half on the bench. Its a combative position on the pitch and injuries will occur. Rather Distin than Hibbert on bench for me.

I can see Distin being released and Alcatraz getting a new deal at the end of the season. I hope Browning or Galloway have the chance to step up. Are there any decent young centre halves who dont cost a fortune around ? I heard about and seen Soutar play for Dundee United, meant to have good potential and wont cost a fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.