Sylvain Distin

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did last year, probably our best defender.

I like Distin but unfortunately at best you could call his season so far "mixed", hope he turns it around especially since we seem to be getting injuries at Aresnal-like frequency.
Fair enough, you know much more about this than me. I did see a bit of the Lille match and he seemed pretty comfortable haha But I can't make a judgement about a player based on a portion of a match lol I'm just shocked he's playing at the top level at that age, and if I recall correctly, you guys also had a nice run of clean sheets last year? I'm guessing he was part of that. His longevity reminds me of Maldini (Maldini was just ridiculously awesome though).

Fair enough, you know much more about this than me. I did see a bit of the Lille match and he seemed pretty comfortable haha But I can't make a judgement about a player based on a portion of a match lol I'm just shocked he's playing at the top level at that age, and if I recall correctly, you guys also had a nice run of clean sheets last year? I'm guessing he was part of that. His longevity reminds me of Maldini (Maldini was just ridiculously awesome though).
Our best run last season of wins and clean sheets came when we had Stones and Distin partnered together, they looked great.

But this season Distin looks like he might have just lost a bit of speed, both in his pace and reaction times. The rest of our defenders being off form and our midfield not helping shield them just made it all appear even worse and affected everyone mentally. Hopefully just a blip, Jags wasn't great either but has regained his confidence.

Even if it isn't temporary he has been a fantastic purchase, 4m for 5 years of mostly excellent performances and rarely injured. Moyes for all his faults was superb at buying good defenders cheaply. As you say, amazing Distin has lasted so long.

I think he will turn it around. In fact I expect him and Jags to get back to where they where last season. Jags already is and Distin was fine against Lille.

He doesn't seem to have lost the athleticism. He's just been responsible for some howlers.

Frankly although Alcaraz has done well and uses the ball much better I'm a little bit relieved we now have a bit of pace at CB.

.... Oh wait Jags is the fastest player in the league ;-)

Thought he did well against Lille, just don't think he's a CB in Martinez's mold who's comfortable on the ball.

I do still think he has more to offer us but we've seriously got to start looking a buying another CB, preferably one who is left footed and in their early 20's. Maybe Browning could be a long term option there, but we've not seen him play CB yet. Martinez clearly rates him though.

With the emergence of Stones, and also perhaps Browning this season will probably be his last. Galloway is also doing quite well in the reserves. He's been a fine servant.

If Distan like is being quoted has fallen out completely with Martinez do we risk him to represent the club, hoping he is a model pro and put his resentment behind him or drop him in case his performance is affected by the behind the scenes shenanigans ???

What I can say for this story is

1 - Mdr

2- LOL

That's mixed emotion.

sorry. If this is a factful rumor, I don't know. I have no idea.

My experience of Sylvain is laid back, he is sometimes emotional and passionate. I have nothing more to say, I'm not in total believment but I wouldn't be totally surprised. It's disappointing to hear (hence Mdr) he's from an Eastern area to my child home in Paris.

Status
Not open for further replies.