Tom Cleverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd take him for nothing and believe me, if he had the choice between coming to us or Villa on a permanent deal, he'd walk to Goodison Park.

Think Villa probably end up keeping him though. Besic has impressed so Martinez may have lost interest.

I'd take him for nothing and believe me, if he had the choice between coming to us or Villa on a permanent deal, he'd walk to Goodison Park.

Think Villa probably end up keeping him though. Besic has impressed so Martinez may have lost interest.
Think they are for two different roles though - Cleverley as Osman's replacement and Besic for Barry.

Maybe long-term, so far though Besic has been McCarthy's back-up. High-energy, box-to-box player.
Perhaps although Besic's background is similar to Barry's with the spells at full back and CB. From the limited games I've seen him in, think he reads the game quite well and might be able to start attacking moves off with a good pass from a deep lying position as well as being able to man mark.

But I don't see Cleverley's best position being either as a Barry or McCarthy replacement in CM although that is the role he was often tasked with at United - he hasn't got the physical strength. For Villa so far he's played on the right of a midfield three and iirc for Wigan he played in a similar role or as the number 10.

He's on a free and some people are saying no?? He's still young, has Pl and International experience, is energetic and keeps things nice and simple. His short quick passing keeps the game moving but that gets overlooked as he doesnt do anything fancy. I think Martinez would like a high tempo pressing style but Gibson, Osman and Barry dont have the legs.

The same people turning their noses up at him are the same ones who said Barry was [Poor language removed] and oh yes, McCarthy was [Poor language removed] too.

If he signs then im convinced he will prove people wrong, if not sell him to someone after a year and make a profit.

I don't think it's that simple, that's the FIFA scenario. If he plays badly, nobody will be willing to pay a significant sum for him and he will surely ask for a signing on fee which could go up to a couple of millions, plus his weekly wages, which won't be low from an ex-ManU player. Of course, not having to pay a transfer fee could make it a good piece of business, but it doesn't ensure profit with 100% certainty.

I don't think it's that simple, that's the FIFA scenario. If he plays badly, nobody will be willing to pay a significant sum for him and he will surely ask for a signing on fee which could go up to a couple of millions, plus his weekly wages, which won't be low from an ex-ManU player. Of course, not having to pay a transfer fee could make it a good piece of business, but it doesn't ensure profit with 100% certainty.
Fair point there, but we just have to be smart about the wages..... Offer him something reasonable and he can take it or no.....

If he holds out for too much then let him find someone else to pay it.

Fair point there, but we just have to be smart about the wages..... Offer him something reasonable and he can take it or no.....

If he holds out for too much then let him find someone else to pay it.

Probably the prospect of reuniting with his former manager would be an appealing one to him. I'm pretty sure he will have ni complaints at joining Everton either. The top clubs won't be standing in the queue for him, we should be the club with the highest reputation competing for him, so he is a realistic target. I'm sure we could afford someone on a free too. If the intentions are the same then there shouldn't be a problem in reaching an agreement either.

Status
Not open for further replies.