Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Sharp

Votes: 28 19.4%
  • Ferguson

Votes: 44 30.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My favourite was Sharp, defenders were often physically afraid of him and he won us so many matches. And the photo with the panda.

efc__1342753956_panda-on-lap.jpg

Often wondered that myself,we had a pretty outstanding league record from 1961-70,I think the only occasion we finished outside of the top six(1966)we won the FA Cup,two league titles was a very good return considering Man U,City,Leeds,Chelsea,Spurs were in and around us,the league appeared a lot stronger back then very decent sides at the likes of Arsenal,West Ham,WBA,Stoke,Newcastle,we also had some terrible luck in our European ventures(drawing Inter Milan first round in their pomp),as well as the FA Cup Final defeat to WBA and the following year the semi final defeat to Man City.

cheers mate that's a great reply. I have often wondered for example the way how Chelsea/City/Utd fans basically think the title is a given because of how much they spend whether our fans ever felt we had a divine right to win loads of trophies ourselves during that time. Its a good insight as to how you look at it that we were successful with 2 titles and an FA cup and was always in the hunt. Bloody hell what we wouldn't do for something similar now!!

Often wondered that myself,we had a pretty outstanding league record from 1961-70,I think the only occasion we finished outside of the top six(1966)we won the FA Cup,two league titles was a very good return considering Man U,City,Leeds,Chelsea,Spurs were in and around us,the league appeared a lot stronger back then very decent sides at the likes of Arsenal,West Ham,WBA,Stoke,Newcastle,we also had some terrible luck in our European ventures(drawing Inter Milan first round in their pomp),as well as the FA Cup Final defeat to WBA and the following year the semi final defeat to Man City.

Back then no substitutes either, you played with what you had.

I should think some one much better at this IT stuff than me could probably put together a sample of vids of goals scored by each no 9.

I was wondering mate that back in those days am i right that we were classed as the Mersey millionaires and if there was a player we wanted the Moores family could bankroll any signing the manager wanted? If thats true do you think we should have won more titles/trophies during that period or was it that the quality and standard of the league meant anyone could win it back then?

We had the money, and we could buy anyone we wanted. But the other clubs could all afford players because they were cheap. Added to that was the fact that most squads were about 16 strong and a team could only use the one substitute and you can see that the talent was spread around. In truth it was a better game then, lots of competition, but we were BOSS........

We had the money, and we could buy anyone we wanted. But the other clubs could all afford players because they were cheap. Added to that was the fact that most squads were about 16 strong and a team could only use the one substitute and you can see that the talent was spread around. In truth it was a better game then, lots of competition, but we were BOSS........

Cheers for replying mate, sounds like it was a more even playing field which probably made for a better season for all supporters

Cheers for replying mate, sounds like it was a more even playing field which probably made for a better season for all supporters

It was. No team had dominated until then. Some had a few years of titles like Huddersfield and Arsenal way back when, but it felt as though we were all in with a chance. It's screwed now.......

It was. No team had dominated until then. Some had a few years of titles like Huddersfield and Arsenal way back when, but it felt as though we were all in with a chance. It's screwed now.......

Yep totally agree. I think a little bit of football dies each season when deep down we know we aint competing for the title and all the talk is about top 4. Thats not just us, its every team and how its deemed a success. I remember last season Osman done an article with his tip for the title and i was thinking if the players have that mindset already then what chance do we really have. I would love Martinez to change that mindset.

Not blaming Osman there just an observation before a ball has been kicked about how a player looks on others who have spent big and believes they cant compete and it isnt an even playing field.

Yep totally agree. I think a little bit of football dies each season when deep down we know we aint competing for the title and all the talk is about top 4. Thats not just us, its every team and how its deemed a success. I remember last season Osman done an article with his tip for the title and i was thinking if the players have that mindset already then what chance do we really have. I would love Martinez to change that mindset.

Not blaming Osman there just an observation before a ball has been kicked about how a player looks on others who have spent big and believes they cant compete and it isnt an even playing field.

This is what Moyes has done to us. Every season we used to go into the league thinking we would win it, and the thing is that the fans optimism was also picked up by the players and vice versa. Now we use money as the excuse as to why we can't do it, but it's still 11v11 on the pitch, attitude, tactics and the support from the fans. If we give up so do the players......

This is what Moyes has done to us. Every season we used to go into the league thinking we would win it, and the thing is that the fans optimism was also picked up by the players and vice versa. Now we use money as the excuse as to why we can't do it, but it's still 11v11 on the pitch, attitude, tactics and the support from the fans. If we give up so do the players......

Agree with the 11v11 on the pitch, its equal and on any given day anyone can beat anyone which is proved week in week out. Mental attitude is imperative imo. I think in a way we have given up as fans, but theres still a glimmer when people like yourself talk about great teams of the 60's, the great sides of the mid 80's. Theres always hope that our time will come again. I still believe that and my son will certainly grow up believing that even if it takes another 20 years.

I have to say, I understand all those voting Dixie. He was boss.

But I understand all those saying Sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.