Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Back online now. Are you still there, Marnie? If you are, why not tell the forum a bit more about yourself and how you're feeling.
No pressure.....tell as much as you're comfortable saying

Honestly welled me up reading the last couple of pages. Last 6 months of my life have been awful myself, having depression and anxiety problems, the hardest bit was opening up, I actually did it on here first as well, it's a fantastic site with fantastic caring people.

Very proud of the last couple of posters who are so open about what's going on. Like Bryan, I'm not a professional but I am going through similar stuff and hopefully on the way up, if there's any advice I can give or you just need someone to listen PM me. You're amazing for having the courage to speak out.

Honestly welled me up reading the last couple of pages. Last 6 months of my life have been awful myself, having depression and anxiety problems, the hardest bit was opening up, I actually did it on here first as well, it's a fantastic site with fantastic caring people.

Very proud of the last couple of posters who are so open about what's going on. Like Bryan, I'm not a professional but I am going through similar stuff and hopefully on the way up, if there's any advice I can give or you just need someone to listen PM me. You're amazing for having the courage to speak out.
Don't know about you mate, or anyone else, but I found that this was very relevant to me, thinking back to when I was suffering depression;

image.jpg

Got to say i,ve been lurking this superb thread since Groucho,s inception. And as a normally happy go lucky sort, i too have been gripped by this dark downward spiral.
Pretty much started 3yrs ago when the recession resulted in my job loss (Rigger), for the first six months everything was great, caught up with lots DIY at home.

But as time passed by i could feel this unemployment thing taking hold, to say concern set in is probably an understatement. I,ve sent CV,s off left, right and centre but to no avail. The only income i have is a doorman a couple of nights a weeks (i,m 53 ffs!!) I receive no financial benefits apart from a medical card.

A year ago i took it upon myself i was on the scrap heap, i lost all my motivation, i just did not feel any self worth to my wife and daughter, i just wanted to end this darkness once and for all. So i decided i was worth more dead to my family than alive, so after weeks of deliberation and planning the will etc i amassed a good deal of subscription drugs hopped in the car and drove miles to a secluded spot and downed the lot.

I woke up three days later in hospital with tubes everywhere and the first faces i saw my tearful wife and daughter, but their tears were of complete relief i had come back to them.
If i had not been discovered when i had by some hill walkers (thanks Kurt) i would most certainly have died. I have received professional counselling, but i never felt comfortable talking in a clinical environment,, they always seemed to have a trainee sitting in on a session.

The one thing i did benefit from my episode was the support i found from a lot of my hard arsed mates who have opened up to me privately about their own lives, and i know i,ve helped them as much as they,ve helped me.

Thanks Groucho and all the GOT family.... COYB.s FFS!!!

Firstly top marks Groucho for having the foresight to pin this thread on a football forum.
I lost my daughter Emily to cancer two and half years ago she was only 5 years 6 months old.
Without the help and support of an online community of everton fans to get me through those darkest 18 months of my life,I would have cracked.
Depressed ? Most certainly, and I still have my moments as am sure a lot of you can imagine.
Lads don't bottle it up ! From experience what helped me get through it may help you get through it.
It's good to talk !!

Got to say i,ve been lurking this superb thread since Groucho,s inception. And as a normally happy go lucky sort, i too have been gripped by this dark downward spiral.
Pretty much started 3yrs ago when the recession resulted in my job loss (Rigger), for the first six months everything was great, caught up with lots DIY at home.

But as time passed by i could feel this unemployment thing taking hold, to say concern set in is probably an understatement. I,ve sent CV,s off left, right and centre but to no avail. The only income i have is a doorman a couple of nights a weeks (i,m 53 ffs!!) I receive no financial benefits apart from a medical card.

A year ago i took it upon myself i was on the scrap heap, i lost all my motivation, i just did not feel any self worth to my wife and daughter, i just wanted to end this darkness once and for all. So i decided i was worth more dead to my family than alive, so after weeks of deliberation and planning the will etc i amassed a good deal of subscription drugs hopped in the car and drove miles to a secluded spot and downed the lot.

I woke up three days later in hospital with tubes everywhere and the first faces i saw my tearful wife and daughter, but their tears were of complete relief i had come back to them.
If i had not been discovered when i had by some hill walkers (thanks Kurt) i would most certainly have died. I have received professional counselling, but i never felt comfortable talking in a clinical environment,, they always seemed to have a trainee sitting in on a session.

The one thing i did benefit from my episode was the support i found from a lot of my hard arsed mates who have opened up to me privately about their own lives, and i know i,ve helped them as much as they,ve helped me.

Thanks Groucho and all the GOT family.... COYB.s FFS!!!

Jeez mate, good on you for sharing this....

Hope things are getting better, and you know a lot of guys on here will be looking out for you now (in a positive sense). Hope the GOT community helps even in a small way.

I do think having the bond of being a football supporter, with your club and fellow supporters should not be overlooked as a positive. Good on you for reaching out....

Firstly top marks Groucho for having the foresight to pin this thread on a football forum.
I lost my daughter Emily to cancer two and half years ago she was only 5 years 6 months old.
Without the help and support of an online community of everton fans to get me through those darkest 18 months of my life,I would have cracked.
Depressed ? Most certainly, and I still have my moments as am sure a lot of you can imagine.
Lads don't bottle it up ! From experience what helped me get through it may help you get through it.
It's good to talk !!

Mate, I'll just echo what I said above, it takes enormous courage to speak openly in the manner you have.

I can't comprehend what you must have gone through, only offer our support on here, and thoughts and prayers for your little one.

Take care and stick around

I posted in this thread when it was first created and I have to say what a brilliant idea it was to pin it as we all from time to time suffer from depression and anxieties.

My initial contribution to the thread though true, I didn't give the reasons why.

I'm 21 years old and even writing this down now, knowing I'm likely to never see any of you is hard. I'm a closeted gay, though out to two of my close friends, it can be hard to hide this secret life from your parents and family.

The pressures can sometimes be immense, watching your other cousins get girlfriends, then the looming question of "why don't you have one?" arises.

When I went to counselling for depression I didn't tell them this through pure fear of not only being outed but fear of accepting what I am.

It's becoming more of an issue getting older, as I've started being in relationships with other men, and when these relationships breakdown you have to hide the pain of it and once again wear the mask, having to come to terms with the fact that the the idea of 'straight' you will never be.

I posted in this thread when it was first created and I have to say what a brilliant idea it was to pin it as we all from time to time suffer from depression and anxieties.

My initial contribution to the thread though true, I didn't give the reasons why.

I'm 21 years old and even writing this down now, knowing I'm likely to never see any of you is hard. I'm a closeted gay, though out to two of my close friends, it can be hard to hide this secret life from your parents and family.

The pressures can sometimes be immense, watching your other cousins get girlfriends, then the looming question of "why don't you have one?" arises.

When I went to counselling for depression I didn't tell them this through pure fear of not only being outed but fear of accepting what I am.

It's becoming more of an issue getting older, as I've started being in relationships with other men, and when these relationships breakdown you have to hide the pain of it and once again wear the mask, having to come to terms with the fact that the the idea of 'straight' you will never be.

I cant give you any help mate other than to say that could have been written by my cousin 20 years ago. He came out to us, and honestly, it was absolutely no surprise to any of us, but we could literally see the worry and strain just fall off him like an overcoat slipping off.

There are guys on here that I know have been in exactly the same position you are in now, and not that long ago. I wont tag him, cos its not my place to do so, but I would imagine he will see your post, and hopefully be a great help to you.

But as I said, I dont think your family & friends will be as surprised as you might think.

I cant give you any help mate other than to say that could have been written by my cousin 20 years ago. He came out to us, and honestly, it was absolutely no surprise to any of us, but we could literally see the worry and strain just fall off him like an overcoat slipping off.

There are guys on here that I know have been in exactly the same position you are in now, and not that long ago. I wont tag him, cos its not my place to do so, but I would imagine he will see your post, and hopefully be a great help to you.

But as I said, I dont think your family & friends will be as surprised as you might think.
Thanks for the reply. I think when closeted you're more sensitive to the things that get said about gays, especially from family.

Over the years I've heard some horrible things said about gays from close family members and all I could do was sit there and smile.

I want to come out, I need to come out. I've pumped myself up numerous times 'Just go in and tell them' then the fear grips me and I can't do it. I know they wouldn't want a gay son, I don't think anybody would but I know they need to know because carrying this burden is not possible for the rest of my life. I'm just terrified of rejection or for them to be ashamed of me.

OK Gwladys Blue. Well done for coming out on here. Must be a very difficult situation. Stressful too, always being somebody you're not. To have carried that off for so long shows that you have strength.

But I can see that coming out to your family is a gargantuan step for you.

Fact: some family members may judge you negatively if you come out.

But also a fact: they may not. Have you thought about what it would be like to be free of the tension and stress but still loved unconditionally by those close to you?

Not saying that you should def come out.....that has to be your choice. But it's a balanced choice. There are risks and benefits of coming out. There are risks and benefits of staying in the closet.