Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transfers and seeing the potential in players are two of Moyes' strongest attributes.

Of course the old argument 'you never know what would have happened if he hadnt released them' will probably pop up.

But by that logic a boss can never get rid of under performing staff on the odd chance they might one day come in and be ace.

For me, the whole "if they were any good they'd come back and prove Moyes wrong" argument doesn't work. For the simple reason that no young player is ever as good as they could be when they are young, they need to be developed from potential to finished item.

Lets take Leighton Baines as an example. Plays for Wigan, does well but is just considered a good left back nothing more.

Signs for Everton but struggles to play regularly (possibly because the staff believe he's too small or whatever it was) leading to talk he might be better off moving somewhere else.

But due to injuries he gets a run in the team making the position his own.

Gets better and better till he's widely regarded as one of the best ful backs in the world.

So he didn't just become world class overnight like young players don't become good enough for our first team squad overnight.

He waited, got his chance and then went on to progress from a good Prem player to a world class player. Would he have done that on the bench? No. Would he have done that if he went to Sunderland? Maybe, but i'd say its more likely that he wouldn't have done.

Of course full credit to Moyes and the coaching staff for turning him into the player he is today. But how did he go from them having doubts about him and sitting on our bench to being world class?

From playing, from being given a chance.

And the same principles apply to young players. They can only come so far before you reach a cut off point (more often than not) where they either need to be helped onto the next level, or they get dropped down and face an uphill struggle to reach even near that level. A player playing at Everton in and around our first team will become a better play than doing the same at a League 1 side.

I bet that of all the players we'd let go who are now playing in the lower leagues, if they'd all been given a run of 6 games in the first team at one point or another that some of them would still be playing Premier League football now. That chance would have been crucial in developing them into good players just like Leighton Baines chance did for him.

That doesn't go for all of them of course, some really are total gash. But i'm just trying to explain why i think one of the most important aspects in turning promising young players at a Prem club into Prem players is by giving them a proper chance at playing them in the Prem, and that when they get let go without that chance it sets them back a long way when they're somewhere between your Rooneys and your complete gashness.

When a Manager with an unlimited spend wins the Title on GD and then fails to get out the group stage in the CL, I have my doubts on his ability to Manage properly.

Hold on....? He "won" the league. Doesnt matter how he done it he won it. Now if he had unlimited spend and finished 5th or 6th then you could argue about his ability.

What about his Seria A record. He wins cups enough said.

so is Lukaku and Sterling -( 19) and quite a few players in the Spanish La Liga - age has nothing to do with the argument - or has it ?

Isnt Sterling younger?. And Lukaku as been playing first team football since the age of 16 when at Anderlecht. But some players just come on quicker than others. I'm not so sure if the likes of Sterling & Lukaku have had serious injuries that have stunted there footballing growth, like Barkley?!.

Missed a fair few months of developement at an important age within football. But i believe he'll come good, he showed enough signs last pre-season and the early part of last season that he's got something in his locker to be a good player.

Hold on....? He "won" the league. Doesnt matter how he done it he won it. Now if he had unlimited spend and finished 5th or 6th then you could argue about his ability.

What about his Seria A record. He wins cups enough said.

So in his first full Season, when he spent around 600000m and finished 3rd, I can question his ability on that, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.