We have to get back to a four man defence

Status
Not open for further replies.
This present system of three is not us and it's not that effective, as seldom do we have five at the back when we have to transition when the ball is with the opposition. It's alien to us and it's showing. We're playing it because of personnel, not because it's a tactical strength. Lampard is frustrated we dont have the people here to go with 4 at the back and 3 in midfield and said so recently.

We conceded yesterday because the players we have just cant work the system and we end up with non-defenders bundling over the opposition to hand pens and victories to them.
Happy?

We don't sign Gana, Garner and Onana (a pokemon evolution) to play a back three and midfield two. Lampard likely wants to play 4-3-3 but because of who was available that's what he thought was best.

Hopefully 433 will be the system moving forward with the odd 4231 and Gordon as a 10 against weaker sides (not sure who constitutes a weaker side tbf)

But we had the same set of players we've had so far this season...

Injury to Holgate made it less feasible to start with 3 CBs as then you are having to start Keane and only have youngsters on the bench or you are relying on Coleman or Mykolenko to at as CBs. Also, don't think he would have wanted to play Onana as a DM so early, also he likely had reservations about Patterson in a back 4. My guess is had we sorted Gana earlier, maybe we'd have seen 433 earlier as he would have had a DM he can trust. I would argue the DM is the most important player in a 433.

From 5:50 onwards

Basically Frank saying here he hasn't been able to play 4-3-3 because he doesn't have the players for it. But he's looking to bring them in....

I think he has said that for a while, yesterday we seemed to play 4-1-4-1 against Leeds with Onana mostly playing in between the back 4 and midfield 4. the lack of a striker and bad VAR decision hurt us but I thought Onana, Davies and Iwobi looked solid in the center and if we bring in Gana and Garner thats two more players who can play in that CDM role, Garner can play box to box as well and it would give the manager more options with formations

giphy.gif

Cant see us going back to that muck given that Coady and Tarkowski were so good yesterday and the former underlined that he can do it against the 2nd or 3rd best team in the PL. If we were going to use it again it'd have been against a team like that where you need a lot behind the ball.

That 3 at the back malarkey is dead in the water. An alien system.

Onana, Gana, Iwobi
Garner, Davies, Doucouré
Allen.

7 first team options with a good mix of attributes and combinations.

Could see Iwobi playing a forward role on occasion but we're now in a position to play 3 in midfield regularly with suitable replacements for injury or fatigue.

Cant see us going back to that muck given that Coady and Tarkowski were so good yesterday and the former underlined that he can do it against the 2nd or 3rd best team in the PL. If we were going to use it again it'd have been against a team like that where you need a lot behind the ball.

That 3 at the back malarkey is dead in the water. An alien system.

Tbf Dave, now with Gueye back at the club I would feel a lot better about us playing 5-2-3 as in Gueye and Onana we actually have 2 CMs who can play in a 2. Previously there was always a weak link in that 2.

That said, 4 at the back from now on please!

Tbf Dave, now with Gueye back at the club I would feel a lot better about us playing 5-2-3 as in Gueye and Onana we actually have 2 CMs who can play in a 2. Previously there was always a weak link in that 2.

That said, 4 at the back from now on please!
Also, I think Tarkowski will welcome the shift back to 4 at the back. Coady can play in a back four just fine, so why not accomodate your best CB and play in the system he's used to dominating in?

Status
Not open for further replies.