Pennington
Garbutt
Niasse
Martina
Sandro
Tosun
Schneiderlin
Sigurdsson

There’s 11 players that contribute absolutely nothing that we wouldn’t miss in the slightest if we got rid of them. A few are definitely leaving as contracts are expiring, but it should be an absolute priority to shift as many of the others as we possibly can.
That's what I mean though. From that list Bolasie, Tosun, Schneiderlin, Sandro and Sigurdsson are almost impossible to shift I think.

Niasse, Stekelenburg, Garbutt and Martina are expiring and gone. So that's that for four.

Pennington is on low enough wages that shifting him to a championship or lower team should be easy. And honestly his wages are so low that a loan where his deal expires next summer isn't much different anyway.

Tosun's injury means he is going to be almost impossible to sell for actual money.

Sandro, Bolasie and Besic are all one year from expiring so teams could be inclined to do a loan and just decide if they want a free at the end. Besic could maybe happen but Sandro and Bolasie have very skewed wages to skill levels.

That leaves Schneiderlin and Sigurdsson who are both over 30 and clearly past their best. They also aren't on small wages and they've lived in England for basically their entire careers. My guess is if we can't sort something out with another PL club it doesn't happen for them.

The TL;DR of all this being aside from the 4 out of contracts and Pennington, it feels like we could end up not moving any of these on permanently this summer if it doesn't break right. It's dire.

Everton’s circumstances: Missed out on a bit of match day revenue that isn’t even that big anyway. No big loss in TV money. Could still actually qualify for Europe and oh yeah, have an owner that is wealthier than Roman Abramovich.

European Club’s circumstances: Have a wank TV deal and are far more reliant on match day income. Some clubs will be in difficult situations and have to sell their best players, the vast majority don’t have an owner that is wealthier than Roman Abramovich.

Evertonian’s attitude: I can’t see us spending much this summer. It’s probably a good thing anyway because we’ve persistently bought dross in the past. We are best taking baby steps and have a five year plan, look for cheap players with ‘resale value’ that nobody else wants.

Everton’s circumstances: Missed out on a bit of match day revenue that isn’t even that big anyway. No big loss in TV money. Could still actually qualify for Europe and oh yeah, have an owner that is wealthier than Roman Abramovich.

European Club’s circumstances: Have a wank TV deal and are far more reliant on match day income. Some clubs will be in difficult situations and have to sell their best players, the vast majority don’t have an owner that is wealthier than Roman Abramovich.

Evertonian’s attitude: I can’t see us spending much this summer. It’s probably a good thing anyway because we’ve persistently bought dross in the past. We are best taking baby steps and have a five year plan, look for cheap players with ‘resale value’ that nobody else wants.

Who has said any of that?

Who has said any of that?

It's the impression I get, not least from our proclivity to make excuses for our owners in advance and being eternally petrified of the 'big six'.

However, maybe they are correct and I am wrong.

They certainly will be correct if Usmanov's involvement is not much more than a blag, and our next sponsor is going to be with WHOPPERBET.IO at a rate that is currently achieved by the likes of Burnley FC.

And that gives financial acumen for a football team?

To me it’s simple: Our finances are still in a mess as per AGM, we have a new stadium on the horizon, Mosh has sunk a fortune into us, the club has just lost millions due to a virus (although may make some back up if restarted) and we’re still bleeding out on high wage players we can’t get rid of.

The only way we spend big is if Usmanov really is involved and if he is he’ll need a clever way of actually funding us without an investigation.

This isn’t “oh negative Evertonian” attitude this is just someone looking at things logically during a pandemic.
The loss in the accounts does not reflect the actual trading situation for the year... the actual was less than 15m... which is still substantial.

And that gives financial acumen for a football team?

To me it’s simple: Our finances are still in a mess as per AGM, we have a new stadium on the horizon, Mosh has sunk a fortune into us, the club has just lost millions due to a virus (although may make some back up if restarted) and we’re still bleeding out on high wage players we can’t get rid of.

The only way we spend big is if Usmanov really is involved and if he is he’ll need a clever way of actually funding us without an investigation.

This isn’t “oh negative Evertonian” attitude this is just someone looking at things logically during a pandemic.

I do understand this line of thinking. My question would be how did we manage to spend as much as we did (particularly in the last 2 years). An orthodox reading of the situation going into the last 3 summers was that a more austere approach was needed, yet we spent 100m+, mostly all net each summer.

Quite clearly whoever owns/funds the soending have not been overly concerned about short term profitability when faced with the alternative of not spending. Yes the situation has become worse, but its not fundamentally changed this summer. Everton cannot sustain the spending it makes unless it has cash injections from an external source. The question might be, whybwould this summer be the one the tap is turned off?

Status
Not open for further replies.