Roots of Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostOfDixie

Player Valuation: £70m
http://toffeeweb.com/season/07-08/comment/mailbag/mailbagitem.asp?submissionID=8749

I was kindly informed by that man at TW and he said that the mailbag is printed with no prejudice. Well I think its a dangerous policy, if the above rumour is anything to go by.

It may well be true, but how easy is it to make up rumours??? Those guys on BK revel in it, this whole debacle about Fernandes having his car delivered to his old flat and them picking up the keys etc.... - only for someone to kindly point out that he had just come on for Valencia against Madrid.

Here's one. My friend works in Pan Am, and she does. She spoke with Arteta and Alonso and they confirmed they were both going to be playing in the Spanish league again soon. Now they both go in there, she serves them regularly - is it true? No. But that's how easy it is. Get it printed on a popular site, and bam you have the rumour mill flying. Then the press get hold of it and it ends up in the NOTW.

Basically the clown running the controls over there needs to take more responsibility for the content they produce.

Its never gotten this bad, but we're so desperate. Fernandes did play tonight I saw him. He didnt get into the game much...

http://toffeeweb.com/season/07-08/comment/mailbag/mailbagitem.asp?submissionID=8749

I was kindly informed by that man at TW and he said that the mailbag is printed with no prejudice. Well I think its a dangerous policy, if the above rumour is anything to go by.

It may well be true, but how easy is it to make up rumours??? Those guys on BK revel in it, this whole debacle about Fernandes having his car delivered to his old flat and them picking up the keys etc.... - only for someone to kindly point out that he had just come on for Valencia against Madrid.

Here's one. My friend works in Pan Am, and she does. She spoke with Arteta and Alonso and they confirmed they were both going to be playing in the Spanish league again soon. Now they both go in there, she serves them regularly - is it true? No. But that's how easy it is. Get it printed on a popular site, and bam you have the rumour mill flying. Then the press get hold of it and it ends up in the NOTW.

Basically the clown running the controls over there needs to take more responsibility for the content they produce.

I have raised this issue with TW in relation to the Kirkby debate, but that's how they operate, and even though I think it dangerous, its not my trainset as they say.

As for BK, the people who posted I have been told have been right before. But as someone else has pointed out, the basic facts could be true (apartments being rented out by Everton), but the person may not have the whole picture therefore adding 2+2 and making 28.

If everyone was responsible on forums, they would cease to be what they are, channels for information, debate, humour and some general mayhem.

It's impossible to tell right info from false. The only way would be to ask the source and then contacting that source. For obvious reasons most transfer rumours couldn't be verified this way.

There are numerous problems with these transfer rumours. The obvious one is people making them up for some reason (I can hazard a guess at their motives) but there's also the problem that even real interest doesn't often come to something. I think a big problem is people exaggerating things. A query about a player becomes a bid a bid becomes a medical and so on. It's quite understandable: if someone hears that the manager has mentioned a player in the context of thinking he would improve the team it sounds much more interesting if this person tells his mates he heard the manager is about to make a bid.

And in Everton's case I also believe the PR department is feeding these sort of stories to the press. The press of course regard this info highly since it's coming straight from the horse's mouth.

Arteta has always said he'd like to play for Athletico Madrid sometime in the future. I'm suprised that Athletico never bid on him considering they were thin in the midfield and have C-League money to work with.

This is the internet age. It's going to happen. Just don't belive everything..........hang on, anything you read on the web.

By the way, theirs a party from everton at barca. Aparently were signing Eto'o.

There's a simple solution. Toffeeweb should continue publishing any rumours that they hear, but have the editors rate each rumour according to how credible or dubious they think it is.

It's no worse, infact its almost an identical scenario to what Cal posted on here the other day.
You just got to choose what you want to believe.

i registered on kipper and came up with a ridiculous one, didnt really think anyone would believe it but some did, i got an oscar for worst rumour, outbullshitting kippers is no mean feat and i feel i should get a g.o.t. award for
a. being everpresesnt at g.o.t. togethers.
b. cross forum harassment.
c. quickly identifying any 'fishy' rumours on here.
d. being an all round good egg.

btw sharpy i was doin' the eto'o thing a month ago and werethefeck were you at the carisbrook ?

Status
Not open for further replies.