6 + 2 Point Deductions

Everton future in peril if 777 takeover not completed this month​

Working capital and new stadium financing for Bramley Moore Dock is only assured until March 31

Tom Morgan, SPORTS NEWS CORRESPONDENT4 March 2024 • 5:39pm

777 Partners co-founder Josh Wander at Goodison Park for an Everton match in February

Everton’s financial future will be plunged into major doubt by the end of the month if 777 Capital’s proposed takeover remains unresolved.
Pressure is mounting for the Premier League to finally make a decision on the deal as working capital and new stadium financing is assured only to March 31.
The coming weeks could be among the most consequential in the Merseyside club’s history, with executives also fighting a second alleged spending breach.
A decision on the outcome of the league’s toughened owners’ and directors’ test can be ruled out for at least another week, sources tell Telegraph Sport. More meetings are anticipated between the top tier and the Miami-based investment firm in the coming days to clarify outstanding questions face to face.

Even if the Premier League board is then satisfied it has received all information, an independent oversight panel of KCs will be called in to review conclusions under the new rules.
The precedent set by Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s 25 per cent purchase of Manchester United have led insiders to conclude that further process alone will take another seven days.
Although Everton’s 10-point deduction was reduced to six last week, the club’s form has dipped worryingly, with defeat against West Ham on the weekend.
An appeal panel reduced Everton’s punishment due to “legal errors” but an accompanying ruling detailed how the club had already committed “over £800 million” to its new Bramley-Moore Dock development.

Telegraph Sport has reported previously how 777 appears unwilling to provide any further loan funding while the takeover saga drags on. The company, one of a growing number of multi-club owner models, agreed to purchase owner Farhad Moshiri’s 94 per cent stake in September. It has since provided Everton with a further £30 million in funding, taking the total loan from the American investment firm to £180 million.
In recent weeks, 777 has moved to reassure its own staff over its finances after the recent departure of Damien Alfalla as chief financial officer.
Co-founders Josh Wander and Steve Pasko wrote in an internal memo: “We are pleased to announce that Brett Kaufman will be stepping into the role of CFO for 777 Partners. We are confident that this change will fortify our future growth and are excited to welcome Brett into the 777 family. We appreciate your continued support and enthusiasm during this transition.”

Everton were hit by claims that the takeover could be put in danger by allegations regarding one of 777s subsidiaries, 777Re, which is a Bermuda-based reinsurer.
But sources close to 777 insisted the reinsurer has been placed under administrative control as part of a reorganisation of the industry by Bermudan authorities, rather than being placed into administration, and that there are no issues for their funding of the Everton deal as a result.
Related Topic

p
Doesn't really say much new that does it?

Was on a villa forum and it looks like they've had to stop the expansion of their stadium as the revenue lost from closing 1 of their stands would push them over the edge with regards to prs. Another club stopped from progressing by rules set up to protect the sky 6.
I just can't understand how infrastructure that has long term benefits isn't calculated as such

Was on a villa forum and it looks like they've had to stop the expansion of their stadium as the revenue lost from closing 1 of their stands would push them over the edge with regards to prs. Another club stopped from progressing by rules set up to protect the sky 6.
Fans who delighted in our plight will get what they deserve. Utter bellends who think because they are current flavour of the month means that the league won’t make sure they don’t stay that way.

It's been mad seeing Forest fans and now Villa fans falling into the same traps as us, just waiting to be stung by the inevitable.

This whole system is just two big fingers up to the fans - heads falling off all over the place.
I’ve noticed a bit of a pity party breaking out for villa fans among our support and TBH I can’t be bothered joining in- I remember arguing a lot with that Villa guy on here that they were doing all the things we did to get in trouble and he didn’t want to know, much like we didn’t want to worry about FFP before it suddenly came down on us.

They’ve done the same things as us- taking on a massive wage bill their revenue can’t justify, signing older players with little resale like Digne and Diego Carlos, it’s a short term strategy to buy success, they’ve done it better than us but it’s still a strategy that invites FFP issues. They could’ve learned that lesson from us.

Selling players at some point was an inevitable part of the strategy they played and they probably knew that all along, I don’t think it’s worthy of enormous sympathy.

Fans who delighted in our plight will get what they deserve. Utter bellends who think because they are current flavour of the month means that the league won’t make sure they don’t stay that way.
Just another in a long line of clubs being screwed over.

We were the regular pushers on the glass ceiling and it’s been downhill for years for us.

Leicester won the league and look where they are now.
Newcastle had one season up there and now can’t spend.
Now Villa.

I’ve noticed a bit of a pity party breaking out for villa fans among our support and TBH I can’t be bothered joining in- I remember arguing a lot with that Villa guy on here that they were doing all the things we did to get in trouble and he didn’t want to know, much like we didn’t want to worry about FFP before it suddenly came down on us.

They’ve done the same things as us- taking on a massive wage bill their revenue can’t justify, signing older players with little resale like Digne and Diego Carlos, it’s a short term strategy to buy success, they’ve done it better than us but it’s still a strategy that invites FFP issues. They could’ve learned that lesson from us.

Selling players at some point was an inevitable part of the strategy they played and they probably knew that all along, I don’t think it’s worthy of enormous sympathy.
I dont support points deductions for off field issues for any club

It wouldn't be consistent for me to believe our points deduction is a disgrace (which I do) and then say others deserve deductions. That doesn't mean we don't need consistency because consistency is obviously important moving forward. But what I would absolutely prefer is no points deductions at all for any teams, not deductions for lots of non top 6 clubs.

Villa have put together a side that is better than some of the top 6. And now these totally absurd rules might well punish then for it.

I dont support points deductions for off field issues for any club

It wouldn't be consistent for me to believe our points deduction is a disgrace (which I do) and then say others deserve deductions. That doesn't mean we don't need consistency because consistency is obviously important moving forward. But what I would absolutely prefer is no points deductions at all for any teams, not deductions for lots of non top 6 clubs.

Villa have put together a side that is better than some of the top 6. And now these totally absurd rules might well punish then for it.
Rules working exactly as planned then.