6 + 2 Point Deductions

I always thought it was odd that Masters said the following at the Parliamentary Committee hearing. He states that once the appeal is concluded the asterisk will be removed. Surely that is wrong. It needs to stay forever otherwise Everton’s results for 2023/4 would suggest we have X amount of points from wins and draws but the table suggests otherwise 🤷‍♂️

Q82 Chair: Is it appropriate that Everton have suffered a 10-point deduction before they have had a chance to have the appeal heard?

Richard Masters: It is a pending appeal. The points have been deducted pending the appeal. Whatever the appeal panel decides will then be, I assume, the final deduction. The asterisk will then be removed. It does not matter when it happens as long as it happens in this season. It will happen in this season.

I always thought it was odd that Masters said the following at the Parliamentary Committee hearing. He states that once the appeal is concluded the asterisk will be removed. Surely that is wrong. It needs to stay forever otherwise Everton’s results for 2023/4 would suggest we have X amount of points from wins and draws but the table suggests otherwise 🤷‍♂️

Q82 Chair: Is it appropriate that Everton have suffered a 10-point deduction before they have had a chance to have the appeal heard?

Richard Masters: It is a pending appeal. The points have been deducted pending the appeal. Whatever the appeal panel decides will then be, I assume, the final deduction. The asterisk will then be removed. It does not matter when it happens as long as it happens in this season. It will happen in this season.
Yeah, it's semantics I guess but you are absolutely right - the asterisk denotes that there was a points deduction. Not that an appeal is pending. Because as you say otherwise the number of wins and draws would not add up to the points.

The fella doesn't even have a grip of the basics.

The integrity of the competition is being compromised every week that goes by and the uncertainty continues. The league is not a credible competition right now. Anyone who likes sport should be embarrassed by this whole thing.

Like today we have no idea if that's a useful point or not. We have no idea if Dyche goes more attacking against 10 men if we know a significant deduction stands. It's Dyche, so maybe not, but its at least a fair question.
I get this argument but I have no real sympathy for it given the aim of the game should be to amass as many points as you can regardless.

I get this argument but I have no real sympathy for it given the aim of the game should be to amass as many points as you can regardless.
There's no question that tactics are part of football. We are in the final third of the season so I think it's a big thing. If a team is clear of the drop zone, playing for a point and avoiding defeat could be smart. If a team is right in the mix or adrift then clearly you would try to push for a win

We have no idea where we will be once all the off field nonsense is concluded. And that makes it unfair and lowers the credibility of the competition.

With the way we are going, we are not going to know what we need to stay up, till maybe very late into the season due to the 2nd charge and the wait for that verdict, and by that time we may be on the last games, or the season may even be over, so we may have no chance to gain points if we actually needed them. The whole thing from start to when ever it ends has been farcical to say the least

They would have to be playing as if the points were going to get taken off, even if the points hadn't been taken off until the appeal went through. I don't see why there's a difference.

Why? They'd just look at the table and logically think 'when the points deduction happens we'll be battling in 17th' and the pressure would be the same.
I dont think it works like that. Until the appeal is final then nothing is confirmed so I dont think it's as simple as saying everyone should just assume worst case scenario.

It's not just this -10 deduction either. It's not just this appeal verdict that we're waiting on. It's also the fact that the appeal could have a big impact on how the second charge effects us. And also the team directly above us (Forest) could also lose points at some stage. But we don't know for sure and no one has a clue how many points it could be.

There are far too many unknowns for this stage of the season. And they all have an impact on what happens on the pitch. All the uncertainty is a massive issue for sporting integrity.