6 + 2 Point Deductions

I have read the written reasons a few times and it wasn’t till this morning a couple of things jumped out at me and I am not quite sure the implications

1) When the IC handed out the sanction it. talked about sporting advantage . Ok that’s a bone of contention but what the IC said that they judged that sporting advantage to have been over 4 years . Yes the three periods covered an average of the 19/20 20/21 years alongside 21/22 & 22/23 . My point is surely it’s not correct to even mention the 4 years when reaching a level of sanction
2) The numbers in 2018/19 weren’t disaster an accounting loss of circa £13 million when you factored in the allowable sums for things such academy ladies football and depreciation in P&S terms almost certainly that resulted in a positive number . Alas that year has fallen off the calculation.
I am trying to get my head around is that 2019/20 year was a13 month trading period meaning the 2019/20 and 20/21 losses covered a 25 month trading period. Ok a lot of expenses will be adjusted such as amortisation but things like wages will be a matter of fact ie 25 month’s salary paid but would there have been any boost to income of note . In effect surely a mitigating factor
I’ve thought the same about point one and imagine it’ll have been picked up on. If you are going to treat the two Covid years as one you need to do so in all contexts, so they should’ve said three years. We don’t know what effect that has on the sanction as they give so few details on how they arrived at it but it is at least a small mistaken factor we should be pouncing on.

This is an excerpt from Martin Samuel’s column in the Sunday Times today.
If the PL sense the Govt are getting cold feet then it’s going to be very difficult for us.

“Politico’s UK website has been reporting a delay in the bill to establish a government regulator for football, amid fears it is no longer seen as the populist vote-winner it once was. The backlash around the charges for Everton, Nottingham Forest and Manchester City has perhaps shown some ministers just what it will be like when government gets its hands on football. The fall-out from every issue, from Financial Fair Play to foreign takeovers, will land at government’s door. Imagine being held responsible for events at Reading, while also carrying the can if Everton go down?”

Any points deduction, even 1 point, is totally unfair and disproportionate, because this is nothing to do with football

And the same goes for Forest. Would be an absolute joke if they lose points too for having the audacity of trying to build a squad to compete at top flight level.

Points deductions should only be considered as a last resort and only due to on field offences.
I would maybe extend points deduction to off field offences where they are actual offences ie criminal / fraudulent activity purely because of the seriousness but this has never been alleged to be the case with us. But messing up the league table so much over accountancy details is ludicrous.

This is an excerpt from Martin Samuel’s column in the Sunday Times today.
If the PL sense the Govt are getting cold feet then it’s going to be very difficult for us.

“Politico’s UK website has been reporting a delay in the bill to establish a government regulator for football, amid fears it is no longer seen as the populist vote-winner it once was. The backlash around the charges for Everton, Nottingham Forest and Manchester City has perhaps shown some ministers just what it will be like when government gets its hands on football. The fall-out from every issue, from Financial Fair Play to foreign takeovers, will land at government’s door. Imagine being held responsible for events at Reading, while also carrying the can if Everton go down?”
The current government haven't got long left and with the general election due sometime this year if/when Labour get in then the situation could change especially as Burnham will have some friends and contacts in the new government.

The current government haven't got long left and with the general election due sometime this year if/when Labour get in then the situation could change especially as Burnham will have some friends and contacts in the new government.
Good point. Strategically if they now believe that the actual regulating of football would make the government unpopular they might be better firing it through now anyway knowing that will likely be a Labour government’s problem anyway.

And even if scrapped by the Tories the PL might think they’ve won the battle but if Labour come in with an even more draconian clampdown they may lose the war. So they still need to tread carefully.

He's supposedly already told them it's not for him.
And he’s dead right. Brilliant at Forest but seemingly had a billion players turn up at training he’s never heard of and told to make something out of it or get sacked. Palace fans booing those at the top of the club (despite having a few superstars in the team) must be a turnoff. Not a big fan myself of Cooper or his football, but seems to be switched on enough to know he needs a decent club with sensible expectations and time to build. Same reasons he would be insane to consider coming to Everton if the vacancy arose.

@Neiler You were right on the PL eating itself from within.

The league doesn't realise that we are the super league. The rest of europe can't compete with us bar Real Madrid and PSG.

P&S should be scrapped or at least the threshold increased to allow multiple teams to compete. The more competition = more top players in the league = bigger TV revenue and deals for all.

The short sightedness of pandering to the big 6 in keeping the other 14 down will result long term in the weakening of the league on top of independent regulation which the league do not want.

When you look back at football in the 00's it was so much more entertaining, Real, Barca, Utd, Arsenal, Inter, RS, AC Milan, Juve, A.Madrid all joined by teams like City, Chelsea, PSG, Monaco. Clubs like Everton able to sign players like Lukaku and Eto'o, other teams like Spurs, Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland all able to spend money on decent signings.

Compare and contrast to what we have now - most clubs unable to spend and Europe dominated by 3 clubs - City, RS & Real Madrid. No coincidence that since FFP was introduced the quality and competition has steadily reduced over time.

When you look back at football in the 00's it was so much more entertaining, Real, Barca, Utd, Arsenal, Inter, RS, AC Milan, Juve, A.Madrid all joined by teams like City, Chelsea, PSG, Monaco. Clubs like Everton able to sign players like Lukaku and Eto'o, other teams like Spurs, Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland all able to spend money on decent signings.

Erm, Eto’o was finished and at the end of his career and Lukaku was a cast off from Chelsea when we signed them?

The premier leagues post is abhorrent.
How i laughed at the wink emoji.
City can send any five of those on at anytime. We struggle to fill the subs bench.
Yet they bang on about fairness.
We are now in the realms of a scottish league with a two horse race most seasons. Like Spain is, Germany and recently France. It becomes uninteresting and its only loyalty that keeps Da supporters going. But the younger supporters will fade away .PL will be just a tourist destination

The premier leagues post is abhorrent.
How i laughed at the wink emoji.
City can send any five of those on at anytime. We struggle to fill the subs bench.
Yet they bang on about fairness.
We are now in the realms of a scottish league with a two horse race most seasons. Like Spain is, Germany and recently France. It becomes uninteresting and its only loyalty that keeps Da supporters going. But the younger supporters will fade away .PL will be just a tourist destination
League will eventually get cut to fewer teams to make room for this super league can see it now , think more and more people have now woken up to just how much money greed etc has ruined the footy , took me long enough