6 + 2 Point Deductions

I haven't read the last 170 pages o_O but look if the club has broken this spending rule, then we're guilty. The punishment on the other hand is debatable and very harsh BUT whether the PL make up their own rules & punishment as they go along we have to take some punishment and take it on the chin.

There seems to be a lot of question marks, and questions that need to be asked. Not least, about the Independent Commission, which is hardly independent. Have we sought to gain a sporting advantage or deceive the PL?

What I also read whether we like it or not, we've made a pigs ear of this you cannot put that down to the Premier League. You cannot put that down to Man City. Chelsea. Or the 6 combined when they tried to break away. Nor lay the blame at Newcastle or any other club. The PL are a law unto themselves they govern
how they see fit it's a con we all know that. But sadly if Everton have fallen foul we're going to be punished and without a shadow of a doubt, being us, we will be made an example of. Then other clubs come calling too to have their pound of flesh. What a mess.

On the other hand if they have a genuine case with the appeal then time will tell. Only sounds to me they need better lawyers.

Clubs suing each other won't happen imho as it is to greater risk to the strength in numbers of 14 plus to get things through in the PL.

A KC has tweeted in a secret case in May, it was ruled that clubs can. How far it goes and whether they win is another matter but it's opened a can of worms.

Moshiri signed Mylenko and Patterson because the Premier League initially believed the line about the loan interest being deductible from P&S calculations because it was being used to fund the Stadium. That fell apart when the Premier League investigated the loans further.

From the judgement.

Use of Funds
If the facility is successfully completed, the funds will be used for working capital facility
purposes. Hence, in the same way as the Rights and Media Funding Limited facility this
additional financing support will be used for operational purposes during the 2020/21
season.
We do not intend to use any of the funds for the new stadium project or to buy players in
the transfer window. These funds will be used to continue to support the Club and all of the
activities that the Club are involved in for the term of the facility.
That representation is incorporated into the Metro Bank PLC loan agreement
dated 29 April 2021. Clause 2.3 reads –
Purpose
The Borrower shall apply all amounts borrowed by it…towards the payment of
indebtedness and its working capital requirements.

The terms of the loan clearly state it wasn't for the Stadium. The premier league then uncovered Everton documents that showed the Stadium was being funded by interest-free loans from Moshiri.
this wasn't news

Lot to parse in all this. To start it is laughable that this is the punishment when the league consistently turns its head from incestious businesses in clubs, and in this specific case had to invent a commission to relay a punishment. Beating a dead horse but the premier league by all intensive purposes is a joke.

Listen I do understand the fact we were in the wrong. In a larger sense I also think a larger conversation about in-house sponsorship should be had. Usmanov cleaned his money through the club. The evaluations and sponsorship was dramatically inflated. And I think we engaged in whats common practice of all these clubs of scrapping some cream off the top of our books.

In a vacuum I don't have a problem with a punishment, really even one as harsh as this. But the lack of precedent for far more egregious offenses or akin from the whole division is hard to ignore. And also what is the endgame from the Prem. The genie is out of the bottle in how these teams can internally fudge and maneuver. If they expect to appear regulatory or as dominearing as a body as seen in many american sports so be it. But that means City and Chelsea likely should get demoted to league 1? I guess we wait on those punishments but we do have precedent of them being softer based on the clubs that generate the most revenue with the Super League. Those teams completely tore up league accountability and what was the punishment? a purely optic fine that literally was peanuts especially for the clubs that had to pay it.

If the EPL was serious they would be putting in motions for more dramatic revenue sharing, a cap ceiling, transfer ceiling no internal sponsorship etc, but they've been spooked by the wealthiest clubs in the division in ever doing that. Its why anyone looking at our punishment as a virtue signal to the rest of the clubs, with a club that can be bullied I think has a case. They get to appear as hardline, but with a club they deem as expandable to larger business and that realistically doesn't have the results or finances to make them pay for it.

It is clear the Premier League did think we did get a sporting advantage.

From the report.

The first head is that of punishment. A breach of the PSR involves an
overspend in excess of £105 million above the target of a nil PSR loss. It is
therefore at any level a serious breach.

Further, as was recognised in
Sheffield Wednesday FC v The Football League Ltd a breach of the PSR will
confer a sporting advantage on the defaulting club, to the detriment of
competing clubs who have managed their finances more responsibly. The
fact that that sporting advantage cannot be quantified but must be inferred
underlines the need for a sanction that imposes a proper punishment.
Anything less than that would encourage default to the expense of compliant
clubs.

In the end, we admitted we breached P&S spending rules and the law states that is gaining a sporting advantage.
Has said in the report we got no sporting advantage.

I take no pride in all anymore at being proper. It’s an utterly useless currency these days, and does is no favours at all. If anything it’s detrimental. We need to bin it off immediately.
No it's not. It's who we are.

Sucks but that's the way it is.

Is anyone like me at the moment: when I've been out and I see a few people standing round and I hear laughter from them I want to pick up a half brick and throw it at them assuming them to be Kopites?

Or is it just me?