New Everton Stadium Discussion

Wheres the club statement mate? Havent seen it tbh
Alan Myers tweeted this last night
Screenshot_20200625-151432_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200625-151458_Samsung Internet.jpg

Are Pattern working for us or working for Laing? I only ask because of the worry over a cost cutting exercise from some & it got me wondering if a technical architect could in theory run the numbers on the design architects work & it turns out it could be built cheaper than first thought but still to the exact same brief?
If so, would that information be fed back to the club to either get more for thier money like increased capacity etc or choose to save cash, or would it get fed back to Laing who will be rubbing thier hands with increased profits?
This industry is alien to me so just trying to learn a little.

I negotiate/manage these type of deals as part my job.

What has happened here is not unheard of. However, standard practice when hiring a design architect would include Meis' firm providing a complete outline of scope and costs for their involvement in each stage of development. One would need to see the tender docs and design agreement to understand the original intent of the scope and what his expectations should have been at this stage.

When you use an international design firm there is always a need to hire a local architect with knowledge of local building codes and regulations for compliance purposes. Generally however the local architects work under the design architect and in consultation with the owner directly to keep the desired "vision" intact. Regardless of the technical architect's contract scope being awarded elsewhere it would be most common and advantageous to retain Meis in some fashion as design consultant at least. No one is better at selling a vision to politicians and stakeholders than the artist himself. I do find it odd he has been frozen out.

Many factors could have played into what has happened. I am not local to Liverpool or Europe for that matter but in my experience it could be any of the following:

1. Cost
2. Quality and detail of bid submitted for the work was simply inferior.
3. a redesign is coming.
4. stakeholder politics both local and international
5. Developer/Engineer leveraging local influence on owner
6. Potential Financier (which is sometimes local government) using leverage to Influence owner's choice of who gets the work.

In summary business took place. Business is cruel, rarely fair and someone always loses. Usually the nice guy.

Cheers

I negotiate/manage these type of deals as part my job.

What has happened here is not unheard of. However, standard practice when hiring a design architect would include Meis' firm providing a complete outline of scope and costs for their involvement in each stage of development. One would need to see the tender docs and design agreement to understand the original intent of the scope and what his expectations should have been at this stage.

When you use an international design firm there is always a need to hire a local architect with knowledge of local building codes and regulations for compliance purposes. Generally however the local architects work under the design architect and in consultation with the owner directly to keep the desired "vision" intact. Regardless of the technical architect's contract scope being awarded elsewhere it would be most common and advantageous to retain Meis in some fashion as design consultant at least. No one is better at selling a vision to politicians and stakeholders than the artist himself. I do find it odd he has been frozen out.

Many factors could have played into what has happened. I am not local to Liverpool or Europe for that matter but in my experience it could be any of the following:

1. Cost
2. Quality and detail of bid submitted for the work was simply inferior.
3. a redesign is coming.
4. stakeholder politics both local and international
5. Developer/Engineer leveraging local influence on owner
6. Potential Financier (which is sometimes local government) using leverage to Influence owner's choice of who gets the work.

In summary business took place. Business is cruel, rarely fair and someone always loses. Usually the nice guy.

Cheers

Thanks for that mate. Good to hear from someone who has had experience in the sort of things instead of blag twitter posts. Stay on board

Said this a while back and a few times recently now, it’s nothing new to change the architect to a more technical and local one when it’s being tendered for.

im getting the impression now his strategy was to get all the passionate, but less educated blues on his side, kind of like the Esk, thinking it would somehow have us sway the club or put pressure on them to give him the next stage.

as previously mentioned it’s happened to him with the Cincinnati project, his tweets prior and recently have been unprofessional and cringe, all we should have known is a company called “Meiss”put forward the iconic concept design, a small amount of engagement would have been welcome but acting like we’ve disrespected him to get some blues against the club is not on.

Concept Architect has been ditched now that his work is completed, in exchange with for a technical Architect who will be knee deep in the detail; cost implications and practical implications of certain area's of the design.

Good news - it was part of the plan and suggests it is moving along nicely
Bad news - we might see a slightly diluted version of BMD with costs Vs design Vs engineering implications becoming a reality

So the nice brickwork will be replaced with combustible cladding no doubt

I don’t get it though, you don’t want him to say anything normally but now you do? He can’t win. Even if it’s about Everton I don’t see why people could care less, his jobs done and planning is in.
That's our Dave. He did it with Brands too. However in this case I agree with him.