Harry Catterick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not West Brom imo mate, that was a painful blip. That team grew into the 1969-70 masters.
Panathanaikos cheats and RS FA semi at OT, 200% correct. He felt he could ditch players and rebuild again but his health caught up with him and as others have said his replacements for West, Labone, Ball, Wright over the next 2/3 seasons were nowhere near as good. Then the club traded Kendall to get Latchford, Royle had back problems Harvey was sold also getting on a bit and struggling with injuries and in what seemed the blink of an eye the blink of an eye (2/3 seasons in reality) we had lost the canny old master in the dugout, the team of teams had disappeared before our very eyes and the new era was a worse manager(Bingham) trying to get the same out of generally worse players. (Latchford excepted and he was signed by Bingham). I have telescoped the precise chronology a bit there but things fell apart pretty quickly after March 1971. The European Cup final was at Wembley that year too!! Can you imagine 70k Blues there??? That was our dream snatched away by poor finishing in the first leg and dodgy ref in second.
And to make matters worse the RS were more or less sweeping all before them!! League and UEFA cup wins and big steps forward on the media profile and a real domination in derbies too!

To be fair to you I think you are right 68 FA Cup Final yes in retrospect a blip. We are just unlucky I forgot that European Cup Final was at Wembley.

Status
Not open for further replies.