Gary Lineker - What I Wore (Everton)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once heard him say on TV that the best side he ever played in was Everton 1985/86. Everyone saying on here that we didnt win it that year because of injuries is correct Neville missed a great deal of the season, Sharp, Reid, Sheedy, Heath, PVH all had time on the sidelines. It could have ended up with us getting the double. I was inconsolable after the Cup Final, we had them exactly where we wanted them. Hardest day of my football supporting life by a mile.

Another media man disowning us to better further his career in the world of kopite punditry. This is one of the few positive references he’s made about us recently. We’re certainly a long way down in his affections for his former clubs.

I once heard him say on TV that the best side he ever played in was Everton 1985/86. Everyone saying on here that we didnt win it that year because of injuries is correct Neville missed a great deal of the season, Sharp, Reid, Sheedy, Heath, PVH all had time on the sidelines. It could have ended up with us getting the double. I was inconsolable after the Cup Final, we had them exactly where we wanted them. Hardest day of my football supporting life by a mile.
Snap

Do you think that mate? I do think had Southall not been injured we'd have won the double that season. I'm not sure we'd have won the league the season after without him?
great side 84/85, great side 85/86, good side 86/87. I agree mate, but for the long term injuries 85/86 we may have won the double. We would have won the League comfortably I'm certain about that

He always says that the reason he hardly ever mentions his time at Everton was because he is so rarely asked about it!

Agree with those who said he was a world class goal scorer. Best the country has produced since Jimmy Greaves, and importantly, he did it on the biggest stage and in so doing helped the national team to become more than the sum of its parts, which is not something you could say since the end of the bobby Robson era.

Alan Shearer was world class to be fair

I have never been so low as an Evertonian as after that Cup Final...and there's been some lows! There were some great days in the 80's...but that was absolutely horrible

I sobbed like a child after that final, I am fortunate to be able to say I have only ever felt that low several times in my life, and mostly dur to the death of a loved one.

I'm too young to remember Lineker in an Everton shirt but older fans tell me that the reason we didn't win the league that season is because Lineker "downed tools" when we played his old club, Leicester city, we lost 3-1 away to them and 2-1 at home that season and lost the league by 2 points. Could just be nonsense. Missing Nev for any length of time can't have helped though, he was amazing
LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.