First player who left and made you hate them

Status
Not open for further replies.
£10m down payment for a player he said 3 months earlier he wouldn’t sell for £50m

Crying in Ferguson’s office after selling our star asset ,good old bill
Here we are again selecting the facts to feed your bias ,no matter how the payment was made it was a record .I am not a fan of Bill but I need to see reason not fiction or bias before I can agree .The 50 mill bit -if you think no one has ever sold a player " that isn't for sale "or for a lower sum than quoted then head and sand come to mind .

I was a kid at the time but I was absolutely gutted when we sold Lineker. Scoring all those goals for us and then going on to be leading scorer in the World Cup. We had arguably the best goalscorer on the planet and then sold him for less than the RS got for Ian Rush who'd been outscored by Lineker in 85/86 and who couldn't even get to a World Cup let alone be leading goalscorer in one. I never hated Lineker though and believe he'd have stayed had the European ban not still been active at the time.

Hate is a strong word but I intensely disliked Rooney for many many years after his acrimonious transfer down to that lot down the Lancs and his behaviour everytime we played them only stirred it up further. It wasn't until 5 or 6 years after he left until the real dislike of him started to die down.

I couldn't have cared less about Abel Xavier crossing the park. He was hardly a huge loss for us and we did get £800,000 when we'd have got nothing for him when his contract ran out that summer. Barmby was different though, he'd probably been our most consistent player in 1999/2000 but he ended up being a flop at Liverpool and they binned him off two years later for less than half of what they paid us for him which raised a smile from me.

Last edited:

Rooney was the worst for me. He was in 442 magazine August 2002 and my RS cousin gave the poster to me when we were on holiday lol loved him and 2 months later that Arsenal goal.

I was 13 when he left and it was devastating seeing a blue with that much talent go to Man Utd.

Steve McMahon, left Everton for Villa just as we were about to become the best side in Europe.
Got my own back on him when we were playing a semi final at Villa Park and he was in the car park, i was giving him loads about show us your medals etc ha ha.
Met him a few years later at a christening and I didn't say anything, he was alright really

Status
Not open for further replies.