Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 105 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,251 92.3%

• Total voters
It's parasitic capital. Of course they'll leave well alone as long as they get there yield. But like all bloodsuckers they will kill the host if left on long enough. That's my view: you expose yourself to such vampirism for as short a time as possible, because the winds can change quickly and we might find ourselves at their mercy.

Yeah, we dont keep our end of the bargain, LCC could call the shots. Well, would.

Called business.

Indeed.

But back to risk, THAT is the risk, in the relative short term as well. The repayments in our current state are easily affordable. Modest even. In real terms, they will fall over time.

I would suggest that bigger risks than football imploding would be acts of God, fire, terrorist attack, and relegation.
If there's going to be risk (and yes, as conceded, no venture like this is without it) dont you agree that exposure to it can and should be minimized? Why not expose the risk for a good chunk of this not to us, but to commercial sponsors in terms of stadium naming rights, or to fall back on the support of fans and see what the demand is for seat purchase schemes for the new stadium. Or widen the share ownership out...which is exactly what happened when club wanted to expand into new stadia in the early period of football.

Ultimately if we wanna spend £300+ million on a new stadium, that cash has got to come from somewhere, so where?

Corporate lender - it would be a secured Loan, at market rates, secured against property and/or revenue streams.

Mosh to loan us the full amount himself - well he already loaned us £80m interest free, and people moan that he'll want it back at some point, so him providing the stadium loan won't be good enough there.

Mosh to just give us the full amount, no strings - not a very sensible move from an accountant, when you can keep that money earning you income in high interest investments.

So the way we've set it up - I.e using the council to access their low interest loan markets, while having the payments covered by naming rights etc seems a sensible approach.

Very small risk with LCC, normal risk with EFC I.e. A secured loan, same as if we just went straight to a bank, only likely better interest rates.

Mosh wanting to make a quick buck and cut and run just doesn't square with him piling unnecessary risk onto EFC - a company he's already put £160m into in just over a year.

But the bad times you allude to would have to be so bad that chances are no PL club would be immune.

I mean, with Chelsea, what would happen if RA dropped dead, tomorrow, and his wife, or kids, or estate decided they didnt fancy being involved with Chelsea, and asked for his loan back?

Not that I have a clue how all that is structured mind. For all I know, it could be repayable in Fruit Gums.

Didn't tat effectively happen to saints, the owner who was investing and trying to build ten up died, his daughter or wife now in charge and has put zero investment in, hence why they constantly sell any asset despite having an owner on paper richer than we do.

Again. like others, you're assuming an awful lot about how things will roll out. There are no certainties about football remaining buoyant. If you study the history of professional football in England you'll see it has contours of boom and decline; wax and wane. Over 40 years we will be subject to that...in fact, a bit like one of the those inactive volcanoes, it's overdue a convulsion.

How on earth can any Evertonian simply accept a deal that places us at the mercy of finance capital and the local state with a shrug of the shoulders?

A stadium should be manageable cost wise. If that means a stadium elsewhere with a different facility, then so be it. I'd rather that than see Everton in jeopardy. The costs on this proposed stadium are going to be eye-watering in the end. We all know deep down that £350M is a figure strictly for the birds. This will be about £500M and it'll be blamed on convenient excuses like Spurs did with 'Brexit affects'.

Imo, this is a foolhardy plan that can get this club in a lot of trouble. We are being badly led here...again.

You are right to be cautious about the future as no one knows what it holds, however ask your grandparents how much they paid for their house, then ask your parents, then how much is property worth now. All you have to do is meet the repayments, at 14-17 million we could have paid that before the new massive TV deals. So if the market drops and goes back to what it was we will still be ok.

The stadium won't break us, we just need to make sure that players contracts don't exceed a certain state. I.e. everyone gets a 8 year 200k deal... There needs to be proper shielding in place so if the TV money drops/we get relegated we can off load the top earners or at least the top earners that aren't doing much on the pitch.

Best way to do that is to run at a profit to save some money to cover these eventualities. We get a new stadium it will help us run at a profit.

You can't bang on about 40 years either as it's possible a new owner comes in and pays the debt after 20/30 or however many years.

If there's going to be risk (and yes, as conceded, no venture like this is without it) dont you agree that exposure to it can and should be minimized? Why not expose the risk for a good chunk of this not to us, but to commercial sponsors in terms of stadium naming rights, or to fall back on the support of fans and see what the demand is for seat purchase schemes for the new stadium. Or widen the share ownership out...which is exactly what happened when club wanted to expand into new stadia in the early period of football.

All fair points of order Dave. But, and maybe I am a sucker, I would be reasonably sure that an accountant of Moshiris experience and that, has seen this as the best/easiest/risk tolerable way to accelerate his and ours ambition/return. *delete where applicable*

Am I 100% comfortable with it? A tad queasy if I am honest, but thats probably me having to trust someone I dont know, and hadnt even heard of 15 months ago, to effectively run and own Everton.

But I balm myself by knowing, as best I can, that Moshiris interests in Everton are 100% alligned with mine. Sort of anyrate. When he sells up I doubt he will even send me a card, the tight wad.

I have no clue! That's actually my overall point - none of us do. Nobody knows the best way to do it.

But then, don't you have a fear that this could all be a bit Fortress Sports Fund-ish? Thus far anonymous funders pledging money to a project that doesn't yet exist?

When Moshiri bought us, people were convinced he'd buy us a new stadium, fund the squad and make us challengers. What's actually happened? He's getting basically a consortium to buy a stadium (which Kenwright, if he was competent, could have done in theory), invested nothing in the squad (sold to buy - again, a Kenwright specialty) as of yet and as such seen us face another two transfer windows of conjecture over our best players because we're not displaying ambition.

Yes, he hasn't been here long, but Lukaku was 100% right on one thing - when City's owners arrived, they made a splash, instant display of ambition with Robinho within hours, and didn't stop the momentum. What did Moshiri do? A paragraph in a match programme, sell John Stones and panic buy with the money, before proceeding to make us a laughing stock on deadline day with his 'McCarthy is family' comments to Jim sodding White.

That's my reason for urging caution. He's done nothing other than spout off a few soundbytes to Jim White since he arrived. Nothing has changed. And after two spectacularly terrible owners on the spin, I'm constantly amazed that Evertonians give Moshiri a free pass without anything actually happening to justify it.

Cautious optimism is one thing, but blind hope is another thing entirely. The fanbase in general is, in my view, the latter. I voted "Yes" to the poll on this thread; but it was always a cautious yes.
I trust moshiri in that he knows what he's doing.. or at least in willing to give him a chance. Despite what some have said things have improved mate.

I for one never thought he would come in, buy a stadium, splash loads on players and all would be right with the world. I knew it would be a slower process and I'm ok with that.

Comparing to man city isn't exactly fair though.. they didn't really have ffp to consider... like Chelsea.. . Can't be done now. Only way it can be done is increase commercial revenues.. which sadly at Goodison we can't do.

Yes, that's called CONTROL over our finances mate. In good times it looks a piece of piss. In bad times it can sink us.

Time to stop the present mindedness in all this analysis and start factoring in long term tendencies within the game. That's what I'm doing here, and it's why we are at loggerheads.
Not at loggerheads mate... don't agree with you and do think you are winding people up a bit... but I do respect you.... honestly!!!

I am actually thinking of the long term future of Everton.. and it's why I think this is about the only at we can get a new stadium to increase revenues etc...

As to how football will be in the future... who knows! 25 years ago things were totally different.. and in another 25 it will be again. But we have to take a bit of risk and do something otherwise we won't go anywhere.

Yes, that's called CONTROL over our finances mate. In good times it looks a piece of piss. In bad times it can sink us.

Time to stop the present mindedness in all this analysis and start factoring in long term tendencies within the game. That's what I'm doing here, and it's why we are at loggerheads.
Presumably that's why Moshiri isn't acting as guarantor instead of LCC!!

Spurs have done it this way:

share issue
advanced sales of naming rights
advanced sale of hospitality/season tickets
sale of old ground
bank loans

They'll own their stadium which is coming in at a massive £750M now a lot quicker than Everton and they wont be exposing their club to the control of any other party.
How do you sell something that ur knocking down to put the new stadium on it?

Spurs have done it this way:

share issue
advanced sales of naming rights
advanced sale of hospitality/season tickets
sale of old ground
bank loans

They'll own their stadium which is coming in at a massive £750M now a lot quicker than Everton and they wont be exposing their club to the control of any other party.
Bank loan is exactly the same as we have, if they don't pay it back they lose thier stadium.

Dave do us all a favour and go away. Your not an Evertonian and never will be FACT

Bank loan is exactly the same as we have, if they don't pay it back they lose thier stadium.

Dave do us all a favour and go away. Your not an Evertonian and never will be FACT
You're not a scouser and you're lecturing me on Evertonianism?

Forgot more today about Everton than you'll ever know.