Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that we wish to find it out but there will be none more key than this new DOF this summer, strategising for if we end up in either league and how he will reshape the squad to cope accordingly.

If he does have anything about him then hoping he can find buyers for so many expensive failures in the current Everton squad, signed by 8/9 different managers. Mostly I hope he’s the first DOF we’ve ever had who understands the importance of player character for anyone we’re looking to bring in. Should be a priority to stop the six year rot and get a connection with the fans again.

Keep to a strict no knobheads, and no expensive over 28s policy. Heavily youth oriented.

It’s clear from the shambolic accounts there needs to be a reset and new approach. Hopefully that will be with Kevin Thelwell through a youthful, Red Bull styled approach signing exciting hungry young players.

However, the above takes time. I could see a young team that features Patterson and Gordon stepping out for the first game at Bramley Moore in two years’ time, but we’ve got to get there first with our Premier League status in tact.

Last summer showed there is little money available and the latest accounts confirm things have got worse. At best, we’ll need to sell to buy like we did in January, but more likely I anticipate us making a profit on player trading for the first time since in Moshiri’s era to appease the league & our banks.

Last summer, the idea of selling DCL, Richarlison and Pickford would have been unthinkable, but it seems like - aside from Gordon - most fans can see a future without all three now. Arguably Pickford would be my preference to keep as he’s probably our player of the season, but if a sizeable offer from Spurs or A.N. Other this summer comes in I would take it due to his profile, age, remaining contract and the odd anomaly that goalkeepers are easier to replace on the cheap. My mind always goes back to Nigel Martyn on a free but there are lots of other examples.

Thelwell should be looking at two simultaneous approaches:
  1. Sign proven Premier League performers on 2-3 year contracts to see Everton into the Bramley Moore era. Not necessarily stars, but proven at this level. Target Bosman deals and loans
  2. Use any surplus from player sales once cost control requirements have been met to invest in 17-22 year olds from around the world. They will be the ones joining Patterson and Gordon future team and given time to develop
Focusing on the first part, a look at this summer’s free agents shows a potential route:

Sell Pickford, sign Sam Johnstone - Pickford is better. No doubt about that. However, Johnstone still got into the England squad for the Euros, has PL experience and is available for free this summer. Only 28

Sell Mina, sign James Tarkowski - I really like Mina, but he will only have a year left in the summer and hasn’t been fit enough. Tarkowski is 29 so a two year deal maximum, but he’s a leader, England international and from the area i.e. ready to go

Sell Allan, sign Florian Grillitsch - same as above with Mina…Allan is one of my favourite players but he’s coming into his final year, on huge wages and will be 32. Still has interest from Serie A. Grillitsch would be my first signing of the summer. International defensive midfielder on a free transfer. 26. Excellent player

Sell Richarlison, sign Jesse Lingard - Richarlison is number nine for Brazil, ha six in his last six for his country but with two years left on his contract, reluctantly it seems like the ideal time to sell. For the last two summers Ancelotti and Benitez have told him to wait just one more year for things to get better, and yet the reality is Everton is at its lowest ebb. The Lingard suggestion won’t win me any fans on here, but the West Ham loan showed what he can do immediately. That’s just what we will need to maintain PL status while the ground is completed and give Thelwell more time to identify the next generation

Keep DCL Controversial, maybe, but this would be the hardest to replace. Last summer would have been a different story, but any bids will be affected by his injury status this season, so ultimately whatever sale would be bad business. He has longer left on his contract than Richarlison, and with a World Cup coming up it’s in his interest to get ready and firing considering how well Tammy Abraham is doing, plus competition from Watkins etc. He’s really fallen down England’s pecking order.

While the experienced players on the short term plan have stabilised our form and finances, then it would be time to get excited with the young team that would play at BM.

At the moment, there doesn't appear to be any plan at all.
So interesting points. And make sense bar Lingard. He will want a 4yr deal taking him to 33 and big wages. Plus hes bang average. Apart from a amazing 10 games at West Ham, he’s been very average for most of his career.

And if it was a choice between the 2 I’d sell DCL before Richarlison

Obviously there will be some mistakes here.. but its not too far away- you can see there will be a big change in terms of our finances when comparing the 20/21 season and our position in the summer when certain players´ contracts have expired, particularly if Kean leaves this summer.

AmortisationWagesFeeTotal
Kenny
0​
2​
2​
Tosun
5​
4​
0​
9​
Sigurdsson
9​
6​
0​
15​
Delph
4​
5​
0​
9​
Digne
2​
8​
17​
27​
James
12​
5​
17​
Kean
4​
0​
20​
24​
Bernard
6​
1​
7​
Bolasie
5​
2.5​
0​
7.5​
King
3​
0​
3​
Pennington
1​
1​
Baningime
0​
1​
1​
Virginia
1​
3.5​
4.5​
Walcott
6​
6​
0​
12​
Besic
2​
2​
Totals- 35

Taking into account permanent incomings-

AmortisationWagesTotal
Begovic
0​
2​
2​
Lonergan
0​
1​
1​
Townsend
0​
3​
3​
Gray
0​
4​
4​
Mykolenko
4​
3​
7​
Patterson
2.5​
2​
4.5​
Dele Alli
7​
3​
10​
Total - 13.5

So the expenses will have been reduced by circa 60M or so... Unless you can get any of Mina, Gbamin, Gomes, Iwobi or even Allan (costing us over 50M between the lot of them every year) etc out the door then we will almost certainly need to sell Calvet Lewin or Richarlison (or Pickford) to fund a decent transfer spend this summer on a new defence and midfield.

He has hardly played at Leicester this season for some reason, got brought in to cover for the injuries, played in a few games then was dumped out the team.
Yeah thought that would be a decent signing for them. He has just not made an impact, which is a worry and also probably just rubbish paper talk anyway.

And whilst most fans would be happy to release 90% of them on a free, people cant seem to get their heads around that we would need to replace most of them.

When you get ZERO for a player, it means you have ZERO to replace them wi
I'd like to see how a few more of our U23s step up. They've done pretty well this season, if you ignore the last couple of months of poor results. Thought to be fair only of the youth, only Rhys Hughes looks like he's got much about him. Wonder whether we need to look to up our game on that front as well?

I'd like to see how a few more of our U23s step up. They've done pretty well this season, if you ignore the last couple of months of poor results. Thought to be fair only of the youth, only Rhys Hughes looks like he's got much about him. Wonder whether we need to look to up our game on that front as well?
I haven’t watched the 23’s for probably 6 weeks and when I was watching them Hughes wasn’t always in the team, he’s also one of the older ones in the group he will be 21 at the start of next season and I’m not sure he’s even trained with the first team that much.

This is like the 2nd youngest group in the league with a number of players, playing their first season at this level. The likes of welch, price, warrington before his loan, mills, Onyango, Dobbin. All like 17/18 when the season started.

I haven’t watched the 23’s for probably 6 weeks and when I was watching them Hughes wasn’t always in the team, he’s also one of the older ones in the group he will be 21 at the start of next season and I’m not sure he’s even trained with the first team that much.

This is like the 2nd youngest group in the league with a number of players, playing their first season at this level. The likes of welch, price, warrington before his loan, mills, Onyango, Dobbin. All like 17/18 when the season started.
Yeah, maybe it's easier for older kids to look better than they are at youth level.

If we go down, then that’s a different discussion.

But my question to you is, these accounts were signed off last October, Everton and the premier league have been in discussions for a few years Everton would have been well aware off what these accounts were going to look like last summer, so why wasn’t there a fire sale last summer?

We spent hardly anything, but wages dropped from, James, Bernard, Bolasie and Walcott going. We would have made money in January selling Digne, the way transfers work and another high wage gone.

I’m not an accountant, but I’d this years accounts will look better than last year, because of wages dropping and no really big transfers. But apparently we now need to have the fire sale and spend less the the 1.7mil we did last summer.

The squad needs an overhaul, we don’t need the replace like for like numbers wise and I’d like to see a few big players leave so we can refresh the squad and have a reset, but if we do sell some big players we will spend money on replacing them.
Townsend, Gray, Patterson, Mykolenko, Ali and El Ghazi all get paid. We may have moved some players on, but we have brought others in.

The fee we got for Digne has been spent on Mykolenko and Patterson.

We made a loss of over 120m again.

The salary savings are a pittance in comparison.

Its confirmed that the Transfer Window will open on 10th June and will close at 23:00 BST on 1 September in line with other European leagues.

He has hardly played at Leicester this season for some reason, got brought in to cover for the injuries, played in a few games then was dumped out the team.
He's been absolute (insert you favorite term of abuse here) for LCFC. If we sign him they will hold street parties in Leicester.

I watched him play at Southampton for 2 seasons, he will delight the Keane knockers as there's always a horrible mistake in him.
He has the turning circle of an oil tanker, the speed of Rondon and can't jump. Apart from that he's ok, and apparently a nice chap.

Townsend, Gray, Patterson, Mykolenko, Ali and El Ghazi all get paid. We may have moved some players on, but we have brought others in.

The fee we got for Digne has been spent on Mykolenko and Patterson.

We made a loss of over 120m again.

The salary savings are a pittance in comparison.
We made about 18mil on the books selling Digne and saved apparently 120k a week.
Paterson and Mykolenko would cost us on the books roughly 6/7 mil plus wages.

Patterson reportedly on 28k Mykolenko 58k so another 4mil
Bar Ali the rest aren’t on huge wages and Elghazi will be gone in the summer

Like I said this year won’t be as bad, because of no Money spent, wages saved, fans back in the ground.

You still not answered my question, why wasn't there a fire sale last summer?

We made about 18mil on the books selling Digne and saved apparently 120k a week.
Paterson and Mykolenko would cost us on the books roughly 6/7 mil plus wages.

Patterson reportedly on 28k Mykolenko 58k so another 4mil
Bar Ali the rest aren’t on huge wages and Elghazi will be gone in the summer

Like I said this year won’t be as bad, because of no Money spent, wages saved, fans back in the ground.

You still not answered my question, why wasn't there a fire sale last summer?
We had a negative net spend last summer. Bernard and James went for a few million each and we did save some wages. We also got a small loan fee for Kean. However, I know from a contact that the club was really panicking last summer and we probably would have sold others if appropriate bids had come in. One of the biggest problems we have is that many of the players we want to shift are on large salaries and refuse to move. They run their contracts down.

We have mind boggling losses over the last three years that will require much greater belt tightening than we have done already. If we stay in the league, I expect DCL and Richarlison to leave. If we get relegated, I expect Pickford Allan, Doucoure and a few others to join them.

Status
Not open for further replies.