Everton Fall To Energetic Reading 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
Evertons excellent start to the new Premier League campaign came to sudden end after a largely lacklustre performance against Reading at the Madejski Stadium.

A solitary goal from Nicky Hunt on the stroke of half-time was enough to ensure Readings first win of the season, dominating the first half with energetic, physical football from the off.

The second half, despite seeing an improved performance from Everton in fits and spurts, closed with the travelling Everton fans left with a deep sense of frustration at not capitalising on the brilliant 3-1 win at White Hart Lane.

Everton did not test Reading 'keeper Marcus Hahnemann at all until the last 5 minutes, when the Toffees hit the post twice in quick succession - Andy Johnson missing from 2 yards when it seemed easier to score.

New signings Phil Jagielka and Steven Pienaar made cameos from the bench late on, as well as James McFadden - who came close with a majestic chip only to see it come off the post.

Overall, it is hard to begrudge Reading their win after a battling, all-action performance.

Everton Man of the Match: Joleon Lescott (Nothing outstanding, but didn't seem as lacklustre as the rest of the side on a frustrating day in Berkshire.)

Vote for your MOTM here

Angered? Confused? I'm sure you'll find sympathetic ears in our Blue Room - The Forum for Evertonians.

Reading played as we did against Tottenham, and did it good.

We need to find a way to break down opponents who playes like this, since we'll probably going to see it more and more since we're a side to be feared by most teams.

Reading played as we did against Tottenham, and did it good.

We need to find a way to break down opponents who playes like this, since we'll probably going to see it more and more since we're a side to be feared by most teams.

Well we need to be able to step it up. Its no good going to Spurs and winning and then losing to a team like Reading. We need to have the confidence to push on, this result today was vital, and I think were going to struggle against the type of teams because we don't have enough guile or craft to just beat them into submission.

We should have been wave after wave of attack in 2nd half, relentless pressure, but we seem to chase the game too early today and its not good. The long ball happens far too soon for me, and it was only in the last 5 mins when we passed it and nearly scored which proves that the patient build up is required.

I don't mind seeing/hearing 6 or 7 passes between our defenders, we are not Wimbledon, we have got good passing players, but we try and force it rather than be patient.

well, we were one of very few sides to beat them there last season, and if i recall we did it well.

players arent robots, and bookies give odds because there are no guarantees.

Everton are notorious for not beating teams that are inferior to them. This is a missed chance, and Moyes in his interview said as much and is clearly disappointed that they have not got something from the game.

Not enough application I felt, too sloppy, and as you commented against Spurs we have glaring problems.

Personally I think the glaring problems are just depth and a few players who are just not doing it for me.

I'm not too concerned because we have some talent coming in. Players who are not afraid to shoot, players who are not afraid to take players on. Players who are happy to take over from Arteta when he is not playing well.

Not enough application I felt, too sloppy, and as you commented against Spurs we have glaring problems.

you gave me a right bollocking the other evening for pointing out a few problems as i saw them - you even went so far as to say i had "dropped in your estimation", and now your saying this.

reading werent wonderful today, they were dogged and determined, we let a ball bounce in the area (which is the first no-no in the big book of defending) and got punished by a good finish.

victor cant do the striker job full time, occasional start and sub, but not a regular yet.

we miss cahill, we miss that player that puts it about and gets in the oppositions faces, we miss his steel, we miss his heading ability, we miss that aussie attitude of fight for everything until the death.

you gave me a right bollocking the other evening for pointing out a few problems as i saw them - you even went so far as to say i had "dropped in your estimation", and now your saying this.

reading werent wonderful today, they were dogged and determined, we let a ball bounce in the area (which is the first no-no in the big book of defending) and got punished by a good finish.

victor cant do the striker job full time, occasional start and sub, but not a regular yet.

we miss cahill, we miss that player that puts it about and gets in the oppositions faces, we miss his steel, we miss his heading ability, we miss that aussie attitude of fight for everything until the death.

Yeah I did because I thought you were a little harsh at the time. But having heard the performance today I believe that your may have seen something that others hadn't and are right in a way. But then I got confused because you said we had problems but never identified Anichebe as one.

So that is why I felt you had gone down in my estimations. Because every person I have spoken to agree that Anichebe is not ready for the first team start.

We miss some players and also that is why I felt that glaring problems were not really a problem, especially with who is coming into the side.

Now I feel the only glaring problem we have is Moyes not really looking to change his side too often. Its almost like he won't change a winning side, but maybe he needed to. He was forced today and I personally felt he made the wrong choice. Starting to wonder why he spent 4million on a sub.

But, I'm not too concerned, although I am a little concerned that I am starting to agree with you more. Need to have a quiet word with myself. ;)

lescott didnt get an auto place, and i expect the same thing to happen with baines.

it takes time to bed players in, and for them to become accustomed to everyone else in the sides playing styles.

we shouldnt have let the ball bounce in the area today.

victor played well against spurs, he didnt play well today. i was actually hoping pienaar would play at AM in a midfield 5.

I don't think Anichebe played well against Spurs but I think you prefer guts over guile and I think we have enough players who can do that, I just like to see some dynamic attacking from the strikers.

I respect your opinion. I just felt that he lacked cohesive understanding. I felt the same against Wigan, he had a chance to release a one two back to Pienaar and he stopped and ran into trouble.

I also felt he goes down too easily for me. He only had a knock today and some may say that he wanted to come off. Moyes was certainly not entertaining the idea he was injured as bad as the interviewer obviously thought.

johnson ballzed up 2 great chances vs spurs.

artetas delivery from corners and free kicks was poor today.

not robots remember.

johnson ballzed up 2 great chances vs spurs.

artetas delivery from corners and free kicks was poor today.

not robots remember.

Yeah, they deserve criticism because expectations are high. I just feel with Anichebe he is not ready to have the responsibility. So to rely on someone with low experience is a problem, as they are not going to win you games as often as maybe Dunc did.

Status
Not open for further replies.