GrandOldTeam

ricardobee
ricardobee
you a cannonball fan then or a Branford Marsalis fan, managed to catch his band of the same name in Leeds in the 90s... burning
Buckshot Lafonque
Buckshot Lafonque
Tbh it was the name that struck me. Think I first heard of BL on a compilation album. Was back in the "acid jazz" days when horns came back into more mainstream music again. I can't say I know much about either BL or BM except for a few of their more celebrated tracks and a couple of albums (Dark Keys I think?) But your questions are prompting me to go back and have a listen. Anything I should go to first?
ricardobee
ricardobee
I remember their album called Buckshot Lefonque was amazing, think they had another album which I've never heard. I was also a massive acid jazz fan back in the day, I'm currently working with the brand new heavies so I get to relive my glory days every week!
Buckshot Lafonque
Buckshot Lafonque
Nice! So you're in the music business? Musician, production or the business itself? I used to be too until about 6 years ago. Ended up going down the pop route which totally killed my motivation and decided to leave it all behind. Now I do it for fun.
Buckshot Lafonque
Buckshot Lafonque
Used to love the Brand New Heavies. Still big on the circuit too I think. And yeah, Acid Jazz was a great little movement. Was a massive JTQ fan. Those days hold a lot of good memories.. Was my gateway to learning about jazz/funk, Herbie Hancock etc...
ricardobee
ricardobee
I'm a freelance saxophonist, been with the heavies for a couple of years... funnest gig ever! Ah sorry to hear that pop music killed your love for it, I did a theatre show for 4 years (8 shows a week of the same gig) that pretty much destroyed my musical joy, making a living out of music can easily do that. Semi pro is the way forward mate, good on you. What do you play?
Buckshot Lafonque
Buckshot Lafonque
Nice one. Does sound like a lot of fun. Always come across well on stage.
You're right about easily killing a passion. The dream is very different to reality. That said, I think you need a level of maturity that I simply didn't have at the time. A bit hot headed and perhaps a little overconfident... Looked around and kept thinking "these guys are [Poor language removed]". Turns out, I was the bellend.
Buckshot Lafonque
Buckshot Lafonque
I play piano and guitar. Played drums for a few bands - that I loved. But really, I'm a computer guy. My strength is production.
8 times a week eh. Well done mate, honestly, it sounds tough. Sounds like you made it to the other side ok though!
ricardobee
ricardobee
haha funnily enough I'm practicing keys at the moment for another theatre tour, the take that musical The Band, I'm on sax and keys 2... I'm properly average on keys so got a month of intense keys practice ahead of me. Back to 8 shows a week!

you got any production demos then? Come on, lets have demo corner
Buckshot Lafonque
Buckshot Lafonque
Haha I wouldn't inflict my stuff on you, trust me, I'm a proud guy and when I had the deal, I used to sit there and blush at how bad the output was. I'm now having fun with more "dance" type stuff but nothing I've finished to an acceptable standard. Got 2 young kids now - my disposable time has gone the way of the dodo. That said, fire over some of your stuff, go on I'm intrigued
ricardobee
ricardobee
Ah no need to be modest matey, this is demo corner after all :)

Here's me with the heavies a few weeks ago at Umbria jazz festival in Italy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KVHQ36cyOM

it was a live stream so gig doesn't start til 35 mins in, if you can be arsed watching the whole gig. If not, I get to get both my licks out during a mammoth solo at about 1:44:00
ricardobee
ricardobee
it was a weird gig, not many there as it was in a place called Norcia which had been decimated by an earthquake last year, most of the locals have moved to temporary accomodation outside the city until its been made structurally safe
the heavies are a great band to work with as they're mostly drunk on their gigs so we fly off on tangents several times a song
Buckshot Lafonque
Buckshot Lafonque
Mate that is outstanding. Watched some of the gig but your solo - absolutely fantastic. Really funky. As my manager used to say to me, are you sure you don'y have any black in your family?
Yeah it looks like you guys are having fun, no doubt. Remember seeing the Heavies at a festival once - can't quit remember if it was the V2 or IoW but remember thinking it looked enjoyable to be there.
Buckshot Lafonque
Buckshot Lafonque
As for Umbria, I'm half Italian so totally get what you're saying about the displacement of people there. I was actually South of Rimini when it happened last year when the earthquake hit in the middle of the night. Obviously although it shook the entire building, it was far enough from the epicentre to not cause damage. Not sure you had any time to check parts of Umbria out when you were there but it's spectacular.