blue bill and rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we had to sell him to save everton? How were everton in so much financial trouble?

Long story that. Those of you who were involved with the ESA back then would probably be aware that the Rooney sale was on the cards for a while before Euro 2002. There was a night of the long knives in the ESA a year or two beforehand when the leadership changed and info became a little bit easier to get at.

He had to be sold because Blue Bill couldn't keep the club going without the money. Infact, it's widely rumoured that within days of Trevor Birch arriving he told Bill that Rooney HAD to be sold, no other way out of the mess the club was in.

Not really Kenwrights fault, he stepped up when it was needed and I don't doubt he sunk all his cash (at the time) into taking over, fair play.

His downfall, as with most things is his showmanship, bravado and bare faced bullshitting. He just cannot help himself.

Screenshot_20210914_132344.jpg

He had to be sold because Blue Bill couldn't keep the club going without the money. Infact, it's widely rumoured that within days of Trevor Birch arriving he told Bill that Rooney HAD to be sold, no other way out of the mess the club was in.

Not really Kenwrights fault, he stepped up when it was needed and I don't doubt he sunk all his cash (at the time) into taking over, fair play.

His downfall, as with most things is his showmanship, bravado and bare faced bullshitting. He just cannot help himself.

View attachment 138977
That quote from bill ?

Not really Kenwrights fault, he stepped up when it was needed and I don't doubt he sunk all his cash (at the time) into taking over, fair play
He had been running Everton for 5 or six years by 2004, so the fact we were getting to the stage when banks were calling in the debt shows he was doing a pretty poor job on the financial side of things.

I'm not sure there are any heroes and villains in this story, tbh.

Rooney acting all affronted is clearly not the whole truth and Blue Bill giving it his usual "performance" at the time is no shock to anyone either. It does show how dysfunctional Everton have been for a very long time, though. The whole "well-run club" nonsense that gets spewed in the media has always rankled with me as it's clearly a load of old cobblers.

That quote from bill ?

It's classic Kenwright. He has quite a back catalogue. Utterly shameless.

He had been running Everton for 5 or six years by 2004, so the fact we were getting to the stage when banks were calling in the debt shows he was doing a pretty poor job on the financial side of things.

Oh I'm not defending him. Infact you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who wants him fired from a large cannon into the Irish Sea more than I.

My point was he was a fan who just about had the cash to buy up enough shares to gain control. Sadly he then proceeded to run it like a Sunday League club looking for 'Investment' as opposed to a buyer.

It was HIS trainset for 20 years.

Still, Uncle Cyril, boys pen, Davey Hickson eh?

Don’t believe this for 1second this sounds like the “he’s mortgaged his house to save Everton” garbage that was spouted at the time, didn’t he bring onboard that shyster Philip Green around that time, and look how he turned out.

We could have got relegated and he wouid still have his supporters.
Johnson and Kenwright took one of the biggest clubs in the country (possibly even the world) into a period of record growth in English football and turned us into relegation candidates and mid-table fodder. Johnson quite rightly gets the ire of Everton supporters, almost universally, but the fact that Kenwright still has support from some sections of the fanbase baffles me, the club went backwards massively during his tenure. Chelsea and Man City were no marks in terms of their revenues at the beginning of the Premier League era and were way behind us, they got lucky with incredibly wealthy benefactors but the way they built their non-matchday revenue streams and how quickly they overtook us demonstrates how poorly we were run as a club.

And then in 2011 Kenwright is still pleading with the banks not to 'Kill Everton'

Status
Not open for further replies.