What would u call BRAMLEY Moore docks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate all this commercial naming nonsense. Its cheap and nasty, stocks two fingers up to history and robs people of part of their cultural identity.

I get the argument about getting money in and others do it, but I draw the line. The media and club can call it what they like - but fans can quite easily own this by and agreeing on and using a name amongst themselves.

And yes - Bramley Moore may have made his cash in the abhorrent slave trade - but this is what the area has been called and its what we've been calling it. I'm fed up to the back teeth having to apologise for what people 100, 200, 300 years ago did and hide history. Let's remember his heinous acts and make sure they're not repeated. (Not that I'm throwing my hat into the ring for that name necessarily....

Still prefer New Goodison as a name. It will be a perpetual reminder to our noisy neighbours that we've built YET ANOTHER ground to play in, to their juicy round vacuous parasitic zero.

I hate all this commercial naming nonsense. Its cheap and nasty, stocks two fingers up to history and robs people of part of their cultural identity.

I get the argument about getting money in and others do it, but I draw the line. The media and club can call it what they like - but fans can quite easily own this by and agreeing on and using a name amongst themselves.

And yes - Bramley Moore may have made his cash in the abhorrent slave trade - but this is what the area has been called and its what we've been calling it. I'm fed up to the back teeth having to apologise for what people 100, 200, 300 years ago did and hide history. Let's remember his heinous acts and make sure they're not repeated. (Not that I'm throwing my hat into the ring for that name necessarily....

Still prefer New Goodison as a name. It will be a perpetual reminder to our noisy neighbours that we've built YET ANOTHER ground to play in, to their juicy round vacuous parasitic zero.
From what little research I have done (Wiki) Bramley-Moore is not connected to the slave trade, apparently he made his money in the sugar trade in the period after the abolition of the slave trade.

I’m not a fan of using the name Goodison at all.

It’s not transferable. You can’t shift what Goodison means like that. Goodison is what it is, and it always will be, even when the ground is gone. The history and the importance of Goodison is permanent.

It’s like getting a new dog and giving it the same name as the old dog. It’s disrespectful to what came before.

The 'Now we can literally throw you in the Mersey straight after the game Stadium'

Seriously though, we will get a sposer but there is no issue wit adding a nod to Goodison or our history. My vote also goes to the Trinity stadium, proper classy that. If you know your history (and nearby listed buildings). So with a sponser the 'USM Trinity Stadium'

From what little research I have done (Wiki) Bramley-Moore is not connected to the slave trade, apparently he made his money in the sugar trade in the period after the abolition of the slave trade.
Interesting that. What I read in the mainstream media (rs dominated of course) was all about slavery. I prefer your version!

Can somebody also please get rid of the text speak in the thread title? It offends my delicate sensibilities every time I look.

Status
Not open for further replies.