Transfer Rumour Gabriel (Lille)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent! More overseas players new to CL... just what we need to build morale, team ethic and grit that left 1 season after Martinez took over.

Except City all the teams who've dominated Prem have 4 or 5 regular quality British and Irish players. Same in Italy, Spain and Germany (with domestic players I mean - not Brits and Irish!)

We're getting there with Pickford (who needs more competition for his place), Keane, Coleman, Gordon (promising), DCL (improving). Keep, overseas lads like Gomez and Digne if poss who put a shift in. Jury out on Iwobe, maybe needs more of a run to settle - loved watching Yobo and Yak etc previously. If someone offers for 80m for Richarlison let him go, just don't like the guy, but he does add a threat. but give Kean a run with DCL. Maybe Gbamin will come back and add legs to our sh*tty midfield.

Would like to see a young 'local' / domestic presence in the squad double though. Young lads like Olly Watkins at Brentford and our own academy set-up.. perfect time to bring them in, no Europe, just FA Cup, League and Prem. Desperately wanna see an end to the over-priced roundabout of mercenaries we've hoarded these last 5 seasons. Literally don't recognise what was on the pitch decline since the decline of Martinez midway 2nd season and Koeman/Walsh debacle.

Out
  1. I'm disappointed Delph didn't figure more... not sure what his game is other than cover for Gomez
  2. Davies not quite up to it (wanted him to grow into the role for years...)
  3. Walcott perhaps fading a bit.
  4. Cenk not at it
  5. Reserve keepers are not serious long-term options - need pressure on Pickford to cut the mistakes
  6. Sigurdsson - painful watching him stroll around
  7. Bernard - out the game too much
8 players. Plenty of room for youth in there.
You had my interest up until Pickford who is a steaming pile of utter garbage. In seriousness I get the sentiment but in reality, English players at the top end of the league cost a fortune. Our youth teams are going to just magically produce first team players, we are in a catchment area with 3 of the worlds biggest and richest teams so getting these players in is a struggle.

There is a time and place for prudence - LFC can afford to do that as they have a team good enough to finish top 4 regardless of any business done or not - however this current Everton side full of crap that finished 12th in the table coming off the back of a 3-1 humping at home to relegated Bournemouth, the same Everton team that was dominated by outfits like Southampton & Aston Villa can not afford that luxury this summer.

Business has to be done by hook or by crook this summer or we are in a relegation battle next season 100%.

Agreed. But if we spend big and it doesnt work out, then we are in a relegation battle AND in financial trouble.

There's no easy solution. But you cant bash Brands for wasting money and trying to save money at the same time just because it suits your agenda

Agreed. But if we spend big and it doesnt work out, then we are in a relegation battle AND in financial trouble.

There's no easy solution. But you cant bash Brands for wasting money and trying to save money at the same time just because it suits your agenda

We'll never be in financial trouble under Usmanov - and even if we crossed FFP they'll not sanction us too hard in fear of getting another bloodied nose in the courts as anyone knows FFP is anti competitive and wouldnt stand up outside of their kangaroo court.

We simply have to back Ancelotti to the hilt - stop wasting our first opportunity of having an actual very good manager at the club.

Excellent! More overseas players new to CL... just what we need to build morale, team ethic and grit that left 1 season after Martinez took over.

Except City all the teams who've dominated Prem have 4 or 5 regular quality British and Irish players. Same in Italy, Spain and Germany (with domestic players I mean - not Brits and Irish!)

We're getting there with Pickford (who needs more competition for his place), Keane, Coleman, Gordon (promising), DCL (improving). Keep, overseas lads like Gomez and Digne if poss who put a shift in. Jury out on Iwobe, maybe needs more of a run to settle - loved watching Yobo and Yak etc previously. If someone offers for 80m for Richarlison let him go, just don't like the guy, but he does add a threat. but give Kean a run with DCL. Maybe Gbamin will come back and add legs to our sh*tty midfield.

Would like to see a young 'local' / domestic presence in the squad double though. Young lads like Olly Watkins at Brentford and our own academy set-up.. perfect time to bring them in, no Europe, just FA Cup, League and Prem. Desperately wanna see an end to the over-priced roundabout of mercenaries we've hoarded these last 5 seasons. Literally don't recognise what was on the pitch decline since the decline of Martinez midway 2nd season and Koeman/Walsh debacle.

Out
  1. I'm disappointed Delph didn't figure more... not sure what his game is other than cover for Gomez
  2. Davies not quite up to it (wanted him to grow into the role for years...)
  3. Walcott perhaps fading a bit.
  4. Cenk not at it
  5. Reserve keepers are not serious long-term options - need pressure on Pickford to cut the mistakes
  6. Sigurdsson - painful watching him stroll around
  7. Bernard - out the game too much
8 players. Plenty of room for youth in there.

Just a few points here.

Iwobi moved to London aged four.

Ah, the classic 'I just don't like Richarlison' line, despite the fact he's our best player by far and without his goals we'd be in real trouble. Remember the last player we had like that, and fans said the same thing? Shouldn't keep selling our best players - it gets us where we are now.

Can't disagree on the outs, albeit we need replacements in first and fwiw I'd probably keep hold of Walcott unless we get a seriously good offer as we're bound to have injuries and he's our one competent right winger as it stands.

Watkins looks a good player but as it stands we have other areas to focus on, rather than spending £20m on a player with one good season in the Championship under his belt.

We'll never be in financial trouble under Usmanov - and even if we crossed FFP they'll not sanction us too hard in fear of getting another bloodied nose in the courts as anyone knows FFP is anti competitive and wouldnt stand up outside of their kangaroo court.

We simply have to back Ancelotti to the hilt - stop wasting our first opportunity of having an actual very good manager at the club.

Well yeah I tend to agree with you, BUT, its all conjecture.

At the minute, the FFP restrictions exist, like it or not, and Brands job is to try and get us the best value for money in order to comply by these restrictions while still bringing in top players. So you're literally criticising him for trying to do his job.

By all means bash him for spending 30 mil on a panic buy in Iwobi, but bashing him for trying to save us money when that is exactly what people are crying for us to do, is just ridiculous

You had my interest up until Pickford who is a steaming pile of utter garbage. In seriousness I get the sentiment but in reality, English players at the top end of the league cost a fortune. Our youth teams are going to just magically produce first team players, we are in a catchment area with 3 of the worlds biggest and richest teams so getting these players in is a struggle.

Partially agree on cost, yes. Wolves arguably have better overseas talent, too.

But Burnley, Southampton, Leicester, Wolves and certainly Sheffield Utd above us are good examples of better tightly knit squads, lower paid, but been together a few seasons and with MUCH better work ethic.

Building that takes seasons and needs to come from within - do you feel Everton's chase (and perhaps fan expectations) in the instant chase for Europe qualification undermines that approach every year?

Partially agree on cost, yes. Wolves arguably have better overseas talent, too.

But Burnley, Southampton, Leicester, Wolves and certainly Sheffield Utd above us are good examples of better tightly knit squads, lower paid, but been together a few seasons and with MUCH better work ethic.

Building that takes seasons and needs to come from within - do you feel Everton's chase (and perhaps fan expectations) in the instant chase for Europe qualification undermines that approach every year?
Burnley and Sheff Utd and to an extent Southampton show people how far hard work and organisation can take you in the league no matter what the nationality of the players. Finding English/British players who can take you to the next level is where the issue lies. All the best British players and prospects play for the top 6 clubs. Trying to find the next influx is going to be difficult. Look at Jamal Lewis and Max Aarons for example. Norwich just been relegated and if you want to sign both of them it's going to cost you £50m, that's a huge outlay on 2 players with 1 year of prem experience, even £18m for Ollie Watkns who has never played above Championship level is a big outlay. Jude Bellingham has played about 40 games for Birmingham and has gone for £30m, its insane money for a 17 year old

I don't believe anything about his transfer at the moment. I will wait and see what eventually happens.
I cannot help but feel that if this player was as good as he is supposed to be then there would have been more concrete attempts to sign him by now by all clubs , rather than this continuous line of stories linking different clubs, it really sounds like his club and/or agent are frantically trying to get somebody to buy the player.
We have seen with most other transfers that it just doesn't happen this way... and that does include Everton transfers.
It has dragged on too long

Wish he’d just gone Napoli now. Gonna be heartbreaking to see him go to Utd/Arsenal and be class, especially the latter as it would put an even bigger gap between us and them

Don’t think I’ve ever even seen him play

Alan Myers says there won't be a decision on Gabriel until next week - Everton are one of three clubs "pushing hard", the others being one English side (presumably Arsenal) and Napoli

Alan Myers says there won't be a decision on Gabriel until next week - Everton are one of three clubs "pushing hard", the others being one English side (presumably Arsenal) and Napoli

Why do these jurnos always say "one other English side" or similar such malarkey, it just makes it obvious they know bugger all and by saying that it increases the chance they may guess right and claim to be ITK.

Burnley and Sheff Utd and to an extent Southampton show people how far hard work and organisation can take you in the league no matter what the nationality of the players. Finding English/British players who can take you to the next level is where the issue lies. All the best British players and prospects play for the top 6 clubs. Trying to find the next influx is going to be difficult. Look at Jamal Lewis and Max Aarons for example. Norwich just been relegated and if you want to sign both of them it's going to cost you £50m, that's a huge outlay on 2 players with 1 year of prem experience, even £18m for Ollie Watkns who has never played above Championship level is a big outlay. Jude Bellingham has played about 40 games for Birmingham and has gone for £30m, its insane money for a 17 year old
All the top players come from abroad...fact
The only reason why top 6 clubs have top British players is because they have to...fact
Organisation would only carry you so far with the risk that eventually you'll struggle...the top 6 are what they are because they have the top foreign players...those players that will give you a win.
Look at liverpool and city...remove the foreigners and they would become average at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.