Culture:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSecondComing

Player Valuation: £35m
After listening to The Esk, El Pivote and another gentleman talk on a podcast I want to hear what other people opinion on the clubs culture is.

I’ll give my take on this and where this stems from and where the current issues are.

Culture for me is set at the top and should always flow down a business and this is the same with a football club.

This is not always the case and sometimes a board of directors allow their manager to create a culture prime examples of these are Cruyff and Barcelona and Alex Ferguson and Manchester United.

Obviously this can only continue if the board of directors keep promoting this, and in terms of Barcelona and Manchester United this hasn’t been the case.

I am 30 so I can’t comment too much about Peter Johnson and Carter etc but I can talk about the culture over say the last 20 years.

David Moyes has had a huge influence on the culture of this club and still does so now even though he left 7 years ago.

I am not going to sit here and say everything he did was bad nor am I going to sit here and paint him as the good guy. He bought into the type of players us as fans like to see, we seen hard workers with some flair but always 100% commitment. On the flip side he made comments such as infamous one that’s still gets branded now about taking a knife to a gun fight which created an inferiority complex and created the “plucky little Everton” line.

During his time he basically ran this club and without him am quietly confident we would have dropped down the leagues, Kenwright and Elstone knew this and most of the clubs “strategy” centred around Moyes and his ability to make us compete on next to no investment.

Kenwright was happy with this and never challenged him as he never wanted to upset the Apple cart because he knew without Moyes he would be exposed more than ever for his poor business choices, lies and deceit.

The malaise of comfortability sets in, and is filtered from the top down and we never achieve anything and nothing is questioned, people get paid go home and that’s it as long as we survive and get by.

Fast forward to today, Kenwright is no longer the majority shareholder but he’s still the current chairmen, we have a majority shareholder who is rich.

He’s bought into the club the Bill Kenwright has sold him and happy to fund the club he has bought.

We all expected a rich Billionaire accountant to get this club and shake it from top to bottom.

He’s made changes, we now run a Director of Football model and we actually have a world class manager. All in all that sounds great, yet the culture hasn’t changed.

Robert Elstone left the club, I think majority thought he was out of his depth and made some shocking commercial decisions during his time here which he did but not always out of choice (Kitbag deal).

We replaced him with Dense Barrett-Baxendale from running Everton in the community to chief executive of a Premier League Football club, something I don’t think anyone expected.

She might be a wonderful woman and did wonders with Everton in the community but was she what we needed? It’s fair to say this was a Kenwright led decision and he championed her promotion. She now talks about the club as charity and not as sporting enterprise that is set out to win.

Bill is still our chairman, now this is something that makes less sense seeing as it’s over 4 years since Moshiri became majority shareholder.

A man who admitted he didn’t haven’t a clue how run a club day to say, he’s no longer majority shareholder what is his worth to this club currently? Maybe in the short term he had some worth maybe, that’s about opinion but what is his worth now?

There’s a lazy, family, plucky little Everton culture that still filters down and when you add in some mercenary footballers to the mix is a recipe for disaster.

The culture at this club has to change now or never.

What do we want to be?

8AF15804-C77F-435F-8CE4-248C1A4821BA.jpeg

This is the DBB comment which has me worried as to what this club thinks it’s purpose is.

Don’t turn this into something it’s not. This hasn’t got anything to do with Everton in the community I have family working for them and they’re truly amazing.

This is about the culture of the FOOTBALL club.

I know you can be reasonable so give it a go here read the points am asking I ain’t pretending to know everything I just think we need a culture change you might disagree and think it’s other issues.

Don’t turn this into something it’s not. This hasn’t got anything to do with Everton in the community I have family working for them and they’re truly amazing.

This is about the culture of the FOOTBALL club.

I know you can be reasonable so give it a go here read the points am asking I ain’t pretending to know everything I just think we need a culture change.

I think people have a pop at DBB cos they think she just ran a charity, shes a very clever woman with loads of letters after her name, we are lucky to have such a person involved in our club. The way the club is structured now, which is something Moshiri did, everybody is responsible for different things and it allows them to focus on that 1 thing and means the buck stops at their door more often than not.

I think Bill is still around for a reason, I suspect that reason is contractual, i.e certain things must happen before he "gives up control", I suspect its do with the stadium or something, plus Moshiri is a very busy man, he's off making money and doesn't really have the time to be dealing with Everton things day to day. Some people will take that as a negative, but whenever he's called upon he digs deep, so its not like he's half arsed.

Hes backed this club, the money he bought the shares with, money he's loaned the club and money he's given us via sponsorship with USM. To hazard a guess its well in excess of 500m so far, with plenty more to come. I personally do not think our off the field stuff interferes with the on the field stuff.

We have gone through managers like butter due to them being very stinky, we have wasted vast sums of money on bog-standard crap players.

IMO, none of that has anything to do with DBB being in charge of paperclips or Bill sitting in the Directors Box.

Unless either of them are gonna play midfield tomorrow for us?

Which takes me back to the buck stopping at peoples doors.

It stops at Moshiris door, he's the 1 who has overseen Koeman spending vast sums, he is the 1 who pursued Silva across the world.

But I personally cant fault him. He made a decision and he backed it, FULLY. Its our club, yes, but he has no emotional ties to Everton, he's a businessman and so far he's pissed the best part of 500m up a wall. Sure its only numbers on a spreadsheet and he will make more, but I'm pretty sure he's almost as invested in us to see everything work out.

To change the culture we don't need to move away from EITC, we don't need to sack DBB cos shes never worked for United and we don't need to get rid of Bill cos he's a bit cooky.

What we need to do is get things right on the pitch, back the manager, show support, I know its hard, 25 years is a long, long time, its 33 years since we were the best team in the league, that's what drives our culture, failure and disappointment, the only way to change it is to change the record.

I think people have a pop at DBB cos they think she just ran a charity, shes a very clever woman with loads of letters after her name, we are lucky to have such a person involved in our club. The way the club is structured now, which is something Moshiri did, everybody is responsible for different things and it allows them to focus on that 1 thing and means the buck stops at their door more often than not.

I think Bill is still around for a reason, I suspect that reason is contractual, i.e certain things must happen before he "gives up control", I suspect its do with the stadium or something, plus Moshiri is a very busy man, he's off making money and doesn't really have the time to be dealing with Everton things day to day. Some people will take that as a negative, but whenever he's called upon he digs deep, so its not like he's half arsed.

Hes backed this club, the money he bought the shares with, money he's loaned the club and money he's given us via sponsorship with USM. To hazard a guess its well in excess of 500m so far, with plenty more to come. I personally do not think our off the field stuff interferes with the on the field stuff.

We have gone through managers like butter due to them being very stinky, we have wasted vast sums of money on bog-standard crap players.

IMO, none of that has anything to do with DBB being in charge of paperclips or Bill sitting in the Directors Box.

Unless either of them are gonna play midfield tomorrow for us?

Which takes me back to the buck stopping at peoples doors.

It stops at Moshiris door, he's the 1 who has overseen Koeman spending vast sums, he is the 1 who pursued Silva across the world.

But I personally cant fault him. He made a decision and he backed it, FULLY. Its our club, yes, but he has no emotional ties to Everton, he's a businessman and so far he's pissed the best part of 500m up a wall. Sure its only numbers on a spreadsheet and he will make more, but I'm pretty sure he's almost as invested in us to see everything work out.

To change the culture we don't need to move away from EITC, we don't need to sack DBB cos shes never worked for United and we don't need to get rid of Bill cos he's a bit cooky.

What we need to do is get things right on the pitch, back the manager, show support, I know its hard, 25 years is a long, long time, its 33 years since we were the best team in the league, that's what drives our culture, failure and disappointment, the only way to change it is to change the record.

Fair points.

I would be interested to see if we do see changes at the top if certain KPI’s aren’t met it’s certainly easier to pinpoint who’s fault it is now.

I myself see no use in Kenwright having any involvement and should probably step away and give him so wacky title to help ease his ridiculous ego.

In regards to DBB I would prefer her not to saying our club is at the service of humanity.

What’s a club core purpose, to win trophies. That’s what we should be aiming for first and foremost. What’s are ethical standard and code, well thats or community work.

That will he helped by achieving our sporting goals.

very subjective all this but that’s how I see it.

When your own supporters start associating the name of your club with instances of failure and disappointment (“Everton That”) then it’s fair to say that there is not a winning culture in place at Everton.

Our culture is one of a ‘family club’ that’s happy to be here. Expectation is low. Players don’t join Everton with the expectation of winning things, or the pressure of winning things. The same applies to managers, they’re not expected to win anything.

We aren’t quite as bad as Watford, who also style themselves as being a ‘family club’ that will literally celebrate the losing of a cup final. But we have become a happy, friendly, loser, club with great community spirit!

Our captain said finishing 10th was great for a club like Everton not too long ago, and that’s the culture that has been flowing through Everton for some time now.

As soon as the players are actually subjected to a bit of pressure, or the slightest bit of expectation, then they absolutely cack themselves and end up booking themselves in with a psychiatrist.

Hopefully Ancellotti may be able to change it, but there has been a happy loser and low expectation mentality at Everton for far too long.

The point of a team is to win but a football club serves a bigger purpose than winning.

Clubs are about the community. That’s why people go the pub before/after matches. Why you put in the effort to attend matches instead of watching on tv. Why you post on a forum.

The point is to share with other people something in common. If you take those things away would you enjoy being an Everton supporter maybe but probably not as much.

If it really was all about winning trophies then we could ditch EITC and spend that money on some wages for better players maybe but how would you feel about that.

After listening to The Esk, El Pivote and another gentleman talk on a podcast I want to hear what other people opinion on the clubs culture is.

I’ll give my take on this and where this stems from and where the current issues are.

Culture for me is set at the top and should always flow down a business and this is the same with a football club.

This is not always the case and sometimes a board of directors allow their manager to create a culture prime examples of these are Cruyff and Barcelona and Alex Ferguson and Manchester United.

Obviously this can only continue if the board of directors keep promoting this, and in terms of Barcelona and Manchester United this hasn’t been the case.

I am 30 so I can’t comment too much about Peter Johnson and Carter etc but I can talk about the culture over say the last 20 years.

David Moyes has had a huge influence on the culture of this club and still does so now even though he left 7 years ago.

I am not going to sit here and say everything he did was bad nor am I going to sit here and paint him as the good guy. He bought into the type of players us as fans like to see, we seen hard workers with some flair but always 100% commitment. On the flip side he made comments such as infamous one that’s still gets branded now about taking a knife to a gun fight which created an inferiority complex and created the “plucky little Everton” line.

During his time he basically ran this club and without him am quietly confident we would have dropped down the leagues, Kenwright and Elstone knew this and most of the clubs “strategy” centred around Moyes and his ability to make us compete on next to no investment.

Kenwright was happy with this and never challenged him as he never wanted to upset the Apple cart because he knew without Moyes he would be exposed more than ever for his poor business choices, lies and deceit.

The malaise of comfortability sets in, and is filtered from the top down and we never achieve anything and nothing is questioned, people get paid go home and that’s it as long as we survive and get by.

Fast forward to today, Kenwright is no longer the majority shareholder but he’s still the current chairmen, we have a majority shareholder who is rich.

He’s bought into the club the Bill Kenwright has sold him and happy to fund the club he has bought.

We all expected a rich Billionaire accountant to get this club and shake it from top to bottom.

He’s made changes, we now run a Director of Football model and we actually have a world class manager. All in all that sounds great, yet the culture hasn’t changed.

Robert Elstone left the club, I think majority thought he was out of his depth and made some shocking commercial decisions during his time here which he did but not always out of choice (Kitbag deal).

We replaced him with Dense Barrett-Baxendale from running Everton in the community to chief executive of a Premier League Football club, something I don’t think anyone expected.

She might be a wonderful woman and did wonders with Everton in the community but was she what we needed? It’s fair to say this was a Kenwright led decision and he championed her promotion. She now talks about the club as charity and not as sporting enterprise that is set out to win.

Bill is still our chairman, now this is something that makes less sense seeing as it’s over 4 years since Moshiri became majority shareholder.

A man who admitted he didn’t haven’t a clue how run a club day to say, he’s no longer majority shareholder what is his worth to this club currently? Maybe in the short term he had some worth maybe, that’s about opinion but what is his worth now?

There’s a lazy, family, plucky little Everton culture that still filters down and when you add in some mercenary footballers to the mix is a recipe for disaster.

The culture at this club has to change now or never.

What do we want to be?

Thank you so much for the disclaimer in he very first sentence that saved me from an onslaught of paragraphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.