2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brands didn’t sign Walcott, Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin or Davies, 3/4 have been paired together in matches for much of the season and 2 of them were/are massive disgraces to the shirt
We all knew they were poor and I’m assuming Brands did when he came into the job. What did he do though? He signed Bernard, Iwobi, Delph and Gbamin, adding to the mess.

He should be sacked. There is no case to be made to keep him in the job.

We all knew they were poor and I’m assuming Brands did when he came into the job. What did he do though? He signed Bernard, Iwobi, Delph and Gbamin, adding to the mess.

He’s not just the DoF he’s a member of the board so technically he can’t be sacked unless there is a takeover of the club or he himself hires someone to take his place with the board’s backing

There were no complaints when both Bernard and Gbamin were signed, unless you had the ability to see into the future, there was no way of foreseeing not one but two major injuries for the latter

He’s not just the DoF he’s a member of the board so technically he can’t be sacked unless there is a takeover of the club or he himself hires someone to take his place with the board’s backing

There were no complaints when both Bernard and Gbamin were signed, unless you had the ability to see into the future, there was no way of foreseeing not one but two major injuries for the latter
More fool Moshiri for putting him on the board. Another ridiculous gimmick in his tenure as majority shareholder.

He can and should be sacked as the director of football.

His signings have been a disaster and we have regressed in his time at the club.

He should go. We all know he should go.

No way he''ll be sacked. But I'd be amazed if his contract is renewed next summer.

More fool Moshiri for putting him on the board. Another ridiculous gimmick in his tenure as majority shareholder.

He can and should be sacked as the director of football.

His signings have been a disaster and we have regressed in his time at the club.

He should go. We all know he should go.

But clearly we don't all know he should go.

Theres 1 or 2 that would sack him now, then there's a few willing to give him another window, then there's a few who realises it wasn't gonna happen overnight.

But no, not everybody wants him to go.

His job is to provide the manager with the tools to do his job.

He didn’t get us a striker, he put that disgusting midfield together and tried to get Rojo on transfer deadline day.

He’s been shown up to be the utter clown he is this season and he should be sacked.

Silva was here before Brands.

Only manager Brands has brought in is Carlo Ancelotti :D

Of course he can be sacked, either from the board, or as DOF, or both

Silva was here before Brands.

Only manager Brands has brought in is Carlo Ancelotti :D
To be fair Brands was hired as director of football on the 16th May 2018. Silva was hired on the 31st May 2018. 2 weeks later.

Therefore Brands was Technically here before Marco and presumably agreed to the appointment of Silva as manager.

However, given that Everton Had tried to get Silva before appointing Brands he was probably made aware he would be working with him as manager and he agreed to that.

He is/was one of the most sought after director of football people in the game. I’m sure if Silva had been that bigger an issue he wouldn’t have taken the job. Presumably he had other offers.

Possibly at some point in that 2 weeks In May 2018 he tried to get Moshiri To go for other managerial targets. Maybe, maybe not. Guess we’ll never know.

I think as a club we’ve got to stop looking for scapegoats whenever things go slightly wrong. We’ve got to stop labeling people as “rubbish” or “useless” or “a clown” or “a failure” every time we lose a big-ish game.

Is Brands perfect? No. No one is in football. Has he made some bad transfer decisions? Yes. But he’s also made some good ones. There are some really good players in this team and we can Improve for the future.

Lets see what happens this summer. There’s no way they won’t improve our midfield. Everyone can see it needs more energy and craft.

We have a director of football who is capable of identifying good players and one of the most famous faces in the game as our manager who can convince them to sign. We also have An owner who’s willing to financially support us (I think).

exciting times ahead!

We would be lucky to give them away in all honestly, particularly given the wages they are on.

Most likely in my opinion is we keep Walcott, and Sigurdsson is sent on loan with an option to buy and us paying 50% of his wages.

Or we just take the hit and sell for cheap like Schneiderlin to get the enormous wages off the books which is our real problem.

Yeah i understand what you're saying.

I don't know what the official brief given to Brands was, so I can only go off my own expectations. I think he came in to find a fairly poor but not utterly hopeless squad. We'd just finished 8th, having finished 7th the season before, and most people didn't think that was good enough. Coming to the end of his second season, we're now 11th, having finished 8th again last season. That's not great, but more concerningly, I just don't really feel like we've improved as a team. We're still lacking technical ability, creativity, and pace. We're basically back to playing the same very basic football that we were playing under Allardyce in order to get results, which I really don't think is what any of us expected 2 years ago.

I'm absolutely not saying he has failed or will do. Richarlison and Digne are definitely successes, and I think signings like Nkounkou and Branthwaite are positive. I can't help feeling like we've just wasted a load of money again though. Hopefully some of them will prove me wrong, but as I said, it doesn't feel like the likes of Mina, Gomes, Bernard, Delph etc have actually improved us, either in terms of results or watchability. I know you said they've not cost a lot but that's £60m+ in fees and £300k+ week in wages for players who have us playing at the same level as we were before. That's without looking at Kean and Iwobi who maybe get a little bit more of a pass because of their age. Ultimately it's a long term project and there's (hopefully) plenty of time for things to pick up, but you also have to judge things on an ongoing basis, and right now i'd have to say that i'm a bit underwhelmed by the impact he's had on the team.
Good post. When we were watching Koemans/Walsh's dribble, we were all still hoping klaasen was going to come good, Michael Keane too, Sandro, Rooney, etc. When most of them left, we all looked back and said, what a load of utter garbage that was. How bad was that recruitment. I have a feeling we will be doing the same with this lot. We are literally still watching the same tosh that got Allardyce hated and driven out for finishing eighth. It's purely Carlo Ancelotti's likeability in his interviews that is the clear opposite to what Allardyce was like which separates them at this point.

We're slow, pedestrian, have zero goals from anywhere but the front two and lack a gulf of players who are comfortable on the ball. We are also glaringly still missing a quality right back we have been after for years. The Director of Football is supposed to implement a style of football that flows throughout the club. Our squad has no balance and very little goals. Our style of play is atrocious to watch and we have zero character and leaders we have also, been, glaringly missing for years. Was Delph bought for this? If so, it has failed dramatically.
Someone said to me many years ago, if you sign players who score goals, you increase the likelihood of winning matches. It's not that difficult. I'm not saying buy a team of centre forwards but there are players who play every position who have a knack of scoring goals throughout their career. We choose to buy players who score next to zero. And we moan we don't win many games.

Status
Not open for further replies.