1967 Everton v Liverpool F A Cup 5th Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

summerisle

The rain, it raineth every day
Never seen this before ; an excellent documentary stressing the importance of football in Liverpool. It features (amongst others) interviews with Harry Catterick and Brian Labone ; exterior shots of the ground and highlights of the game. Narrated in his deadpan manner by Clement Freud it's a great watch.

There's also loads of other football documentaries here :

Never seen this before ; an excellent documentary stressing the importance of football in Liverpool. It features (amongst others) interviews with Harry Catterick and Brian Labone ; exterior shots of the ground and highlights of the game. Narrated in his deadpan manner by Clement Freud it's a great watch.

There's also loads of other football documentaries here :

BFI and Pathe news have some great sports clips on them

In the weeks before the tie I sagged school to queue at Goodison for a ticket - whacking huge queue by the time I got there. t was a weekday and selling started about 5pm (?). Waited for hours before the turnstiles in Bullens Road opened, the queue totally filled the pavements and spilled into the road all the way along Bullens Road and down Walton Lane disappearing under the bridge towards Queens Drive. By the time our bit reached just opposite Priory Road the rumours started that they'd all been sold - that started a mass panic, pushing, shoving and no ticket for me. The decision was made to use the big screens at the pit, so a week or so later I sagged school again. This time queueing across the park and getting a ticket for Anfield Road. The lead up to the match totally consumed the city and as we know Bally scored to put us through and knock them out! Total attendance 105,000 (ish), with figures of 65,000 at Goodison and 40,000 at the pit.Typically, we then got Nottingham Forest away and suffered the nightmare of 'after the Lord Mayor's Parade' as Ian Storey-Moore dumped us out.

I was there. What a build up and what an atmosphere. It had to be Bally to score. It was intense rivalry for that game. Wonderful
Then yes I was there at Notts Forest for the quarter final. That defeat, the semi defeat to Man City in 69 and the semi defeat to the RS in 71 rank amongst the worst days ever.
Oh and the Maine rd draw v the RS was even worse
Oh and the Elland rd defeat to West Ham
Oh bugger I’m depressing myself
Sorry. Too many ciders

In the weeks before the tie I sagged school to queue at Goodison for a ticket - whacking huge queue by the time I got there. t was a weekday and selling started about 5pm (?). Waited for hours before the turnstiles in Bullens Road opened, the queue totally filled the pavements and spilled into the road all the way along Bullens Road and down Walton Lane disappearing under the bridge towards Queens Drive. By the time our bit reached just opposite Priory Road the rumours started that they'd all been sold - that started a mass panic, pushing, shoving and no ticket for me. The decision was made to use the big screens at the pit, so a week or so later I sagged school again. This time queueing across the park and getting a ticket for Anfield Road. The lead up to the match totally consumed the city and as we know Bally scored to put us through and knock them out! Total attendance 105,000 (ish), with figures of 65,000 at Goodison and 40,000 at the pit.Typically, we then got Nottingham Forest away and suffered the nightmare of 'after the Lord Mayor's Parade' as Ian Storey-Moore dumped us out.
You need not've bothered missing school, I walked over Stanley Park to Anfield on the Saturday morning and picked up 2 tickets for my auntie and uncle no problem.
The match at Goodison was epic, getting home even more so. With 100,000+ all trying to do their usual thing around anfield and Goodison, be it get in a pub and wait for the traffic to die down...make a quick dash and be the traffic that the pub crowd were waiting to disperse, or get a bus. Two crowds into one lot of buses didn't go.
Chaos.
Being young and fit back then, we ended up fast walking / jogging down scotty rd into town, with stops off on the way for refreshment. We ended up in that pub opposite Central Station and staggered out for the last bus.

I was there. What a build up and what an atmosphere. It had to be Bally to score. It was intense rivalry for that game. Wonderful
Then yes I was there at Notts Forest for the quarter final. That defeat, the semi defeat to Man City in 69 and the semi defeat to the RS in 71 rank amongst the worst days ever.
Oh and the Maine rd draw v the RS was even worse
Oh and the Elland rd defeat to West Ham
Oh bugger I’m depressing myself
Sorry. Too many ciders
Great post, went to all of them,was at the pit for Ballys winner on the Kop me dad was at Goodison.Sorry to add a couple of more heartbreaks but the milk cup final replay and the '86 final done my head in as I went with a load of RS mates to both still havent recovered!

I was there, just 14 years old. What a night I was at the front to the left of the Gwladys st goal and had a great view of the goal. I was also at the Forest game when Storey Moore destroyed us, funny thing was we were the better team.
Always remember my uncle Jimmy, god rest him, pulling a mouthy Forest fan's hat down over his eyes. Funny really, he must have really wound him up because uncle Jimmy was a really mild mannered man.

In 1975 or 1976, Shankly's book came out, and he did a book signing session in WH Smiths in Church Street. I had the day off work, so I went along, bought a copy, and stood in line to get it signed, with one particular goal in mind.
He's stting at a table with Nessie, and when it was my turn the conversation went like this:
Can you sign in blue, Bill?
Eeeehhhhh, you're one of them, son?
Yeah, and can you put your most famous quote?
Eeeehhhh, what's that son?
'A travesty of justice'
Eeeehhhh, that's hard for me son
You've been making it hard for my team ever since!

With that, he turned to Nessie, got a blue pen, and signed the book as follows:

When interviewed after the game, apparently that was all he had to say about it!

True story.

In 1975 or 1976, Shankly's book came out, and he did a book signing session in WH Smiths in Church Street. I had the day off work, so I went along, bought a copy, and stood in line to get it signed, with one particular goal in mind.
He's stting at a table with Nessie, and when it was my turn the conversation went like this:
'A travesty of justice'

View attachment 66420

When interviewed after the game, apparently that was all he had to say about it!

True story.
'A travesty of justice'

View attachment 66420

True story.
Another great post.As much as we hate them got to admire Shankly.Without his recruitment history of football would be completely different especially for them.

Remember Shankly being at an Everton home game after he retired. He was outside the old shop on Goodison Rd, and a few Everton fans around him calling him MR Shankley, there was a lot of respect for him from Everton fans, fair play.

My older brother got a ticket , and went and Bally's goal was executed brilliant from a Gordon Milne bad backpass - that lot claimed the wind blew it in ... :D
That wasn't no wind, it was us behind the goal, we sucked it in mate...tbf, I think it was going in anyway.
Causing and chasing a back pass eh, that was us doing genngenpressen while klippity was in nappies

Status
Not open for further replies.