World Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
What possible metrics could have us ahead of Man Utd? They finished above us in the league, have won more trophies than us (recently and historically), have a higher turnover and greater profits, play in a much larger stadium and have a much larger international fanbase and therefore a higher commercial ceiling. I've never seen a bigger load of balls.

What possible metrics could have us ahead of Man Utd? They finished above us in the league, have won more trophies than us (recently and historically), have a higher turnover and greater profits, play in a much larger stadium and have a much larger international fanbase and therefore a higher commercial ceiling. I've never seen a bigger load of balls.
It's calculated by how many lawnmowers a club owns per square metre of playing surface. I'm disappointed we're not higher.

tenor.gif

Advanced metrics

538 explains SPI:

We first published FiveThirtyEight’s club soccer predictions in January 2017 with six leagues. Since then, we’ve steadily expanded the number of leagues we forecast, added features to our interactive graphics, tweaked our predictive model to perform better and published our global club soccer rankings.
The forecasts are based on a substantially revised version of ESPN’s Soccer Power Index (SPI), a rating system originally devised by FiveThirtyEight editor-in-chief Nate Silver in 2009 for rating international soccer teams. We have updated and adapted SPI to incorporate club soccer data going back to 1888 (from more than 550,000 matches in all) that we’ve collected from ESPN’s database and the Engsoccerdata GitHub repository, as well as from play-by-play data produced by Opta that has been available since 2010.

SPI ratings
At the heart of our club soccer forecasts are FiveThirtyEight’s SPI ratings, which are our best estimate of a team’s overall strength. In our system, every team has an offensive rating that represents the number of goals it would be expected to score against an average team on a neutral field, and a defensive rating that represents the number of goals it would be expected to concede. These ratings, in turn, produce an overall SPI rating, which represents the percentage of available points — a win is worth 3 points, a tie worth 1 point, and a loss worth 0 points — the team would be expected to take if that match were played over and over again.
Given the ratings for any two teams, we can project the result of a match between them in a variety of formats — such as a league match, a home-and-away tie or a cup final — as well as simulate whole seasons to arrive at the probability each team will win the league, qualify for the Champions League or be relegated to a lower division.
Before a season begins, a team’s SPI ratings are based on two factors: its ratings at the end of the previous season, and its market value as calculated by Transfermarkt (a site that assigns a monetary value to each player, based on what they would fetch in a transfer). We’ve found that a team’s market value — relative to their league’s average value — is strongly correlated with its end-of-season SPI rating. Thus, we use these market values to infer each team’s preseason SPI rating.

boice-CLUBSOCCER-01.png

As a season plays out, a team’s ratings are adjusted after every match based on its performance in that match and the strength of its opponent. Unlike with the Elo rating system we use in several other sports, a team’s rating doesn’t necessarily improve whenever it wins a match; if it performs worse than the model expected, its ratings can decline.

Then it goes on to describe how they predict specific matches. The nerds at 538 are good, but they're still data nerds. It's a prediction based on what they see. And to my eyes it's not entirely off; Arsenal look a little better under Emery at the end of the year, but still aren't right, and United are a dumpster fire waiting for the right spark. They could seriously finish 10th or below with the right mix of circumstances.

538 explains SPI:
Now that I've read that it makes even less sense. Again, if we compare ourselves to Man Utd, we must be behind them in the 33% weighted Market Value Implied SPI rating because of the enormous market value disparity between the two clubs squads (Pogba alone must be valued at £100m+). This, in turn, must mean we are miles ahead of them in the End of Previous Season SPI rating. We did have a stronger end to the season than them, however, over the course of the season we accumulated less points, won less games and scored less goals (we did concede less goals at least). So, if their algorithm estimates how many goals a team is likely to score and how many they are likely to concede against an average (what does this mean?) side on a neutral "field" based on objective data how can it possibly conclude that we are superior to Man Utd? Bizarre.

538 explains SPI:

Then it goes on to describe how they predict specific matches. The nerds at 538 are good, but they're still data nerds. It's a prediction based on what they see. And to my eyes it's not entirely off; Arsenal look a little better under Emery at the end of the year, but still aren't right, and United are a dumpster fire waiting for the right spark. They could seriously finish 10th or below with the right mix of circumstances.
club soccer predictions

Thats the point I stopped reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.