2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Just take all the emotion out of it. PL goals below.

2016/17 - 1
2017/18 - 4
2018/19 - 6
2019/20 - 13
2020/21 - 16
2021/22 - 5
2022/23 - 2
2023/24 - 7

His highest number of PL starts in a season is 32. Since his injury he’s gone 15, 15 and then 26 starts this season.

He’s a decent player Calvert Lewin and I like him, and it’s unquestionable that the current team plays better with him in, but he’s not the only striker in the world who could play for Everton. Losing Lukaku was a much bigger hit, I’d argue even losing Richarlison was worse than losing DCL. We’ve lost forwards before and always find a way. If it means Beto Chermiti and a new signing to replace DCL then so be it if he does want to move on.
I would be sad to see him go. He offers a lot when playing well, and his work on defending corners will also be a big miss. That all said, those stats don't amount to a lot in terms of goals, and if he won't sign a new deal (assuming he's been offered one) then I suppose we need to get what we can.

Don’t trust this at all but I’d be happy if it actually came true. Frankly I can see the club happily doing this as Beto and Chermiti are already here.

Not saying they’re perfect replacements but of all areas of the pitch it is where we’re most covered. I’ll also run and hide before I say this but I could see Maupay being used if we can’t sell him, he’d look so much better in a 2 up front, which Dyche has used more this year.

Financially the deal obviously makes sense, again I don’t believe it but if there were any truth in it we should be taking it. He finished the season well but ultimately he’s also not irreplaceable.

Don’t trust this at all but I’d be happy if it actually came true. Frankly I can see the club happily doing this as Beto and Chermiti are already here.

Not saying they’re perfect replacements but of all areas of the pitch it is where we’re most covered. I’ll also run and hide before I say this but I could see Maupay being used if we can’t sell him, he’d look so much better in a 2 up front, which Dyche has used more this year.

Financially the deal obviously makes sense, again I don’t believe it but if there were any truth in it we should be taking it. He finished the season well but ultimately he’s also not irreplaceable.
I suspect the club got an awful lot more match time out of DCL than they were expecting this season. With hindsight people ask why get both Beto and Chermiti when other positions could’ve been strengthened, answer is probably that they were expected to be 1st and 2nd choice for much of the season due to DCL’s prognosis.

I guess then that DCL having a better than expected season of fitness presents a “nice” problem, in that it’s given us more options up front and has increased his value from close to zero 12 months ago.

The dilemma then is what to do now, and if the feeling is that the way he has to manage his fitness isn’t sustainable for 3-4 years maybe it is best to take the “bonus” 25m for him now rather than commit to a contract, even if he would sign.

It's a tough one for sure.

Surely if he goes for 25m and Onana goes for 40m + that's enough to keep running things over the summer and potentially then you keep Branthwaite for another season.

I think that's how Dyche will be looking at it. Fourth best defence in the league so keep that unit and that's the best chance of staying up as they've proven they can keep clean sheets against many of the bottom half and that's a sustainable base to win the games that need to be won.

If this club suddenly has to start winning loads of games 3-2 or 4-3 next season that's how it gets relegated as the firepower simply won't be there. However 6 or 7 wins by a one nil is achievable although needs another goalscoring midfielder/wide player in the squad.