New Everton Stadium Discussion

As an aside to the present construction of our new home, I read something in my local news regarding what might have been.

It concerns two local millionaires from Hull, the Healey brothers. They made their fortune in the seventies and eighties essentially in the furniture and DIY sectors. Think Status and MFI. They sold those businesses and moved into property with them heavily involved in the building of Meadowhall in Sheffield.

The story goes that Eddie Healey became emotionally affected by the events at Hillsborough and long story short contacted Liverpool City Council in the aftermath. He offered to build an 80,000 seater stadium for use by both Everton and the RS and the council offered a 100 acre site. Seems ridiculous now but the cost of the stadium was going to be £80m.

Both clubs turned down the offer, but here's the bit showing that the pulling power of the RS was alive and well in 1990. Healey said he could provide 7000 executive seats which the RS could sell at £1000 but Everton could sell for £500.

Took this about an hour ago down by those new flats opposite Costco. Not really any clear line of sight. Had to crop the first one a little to remove a white marquee.
IMG_2654.jpeg
IMG_2659.jpeg

As an aside to the present construction of our new home, I read something in my local news regarding what might have been.

It concerns two local millionaires from Hull, the Healey brothers. They made their fortune in the seventies and eighties essentially in the furniture and DIY sectors. Think Status and MFI. They sold those businesses and moved into property with them heavily involved in the building of Meadowhall in Sheffield.

The story goes that Eddie Healey became emotionally affected by the events at Hillsborough and long story short contacted Liverpool City Council in the aftermath. He offered to build an 80,000 seater stadium for use by both Everton and the RS and the council offered a 100 acre site. Seems ridiculous now but the cost of the stadium was going to be £80m.

Both clubs turned down the offer, but here's the bit showing that the pulling power of the RS was alive and well in 1990. Healey said he could provide 7000 executive seats which the RS could sell at £1000 but Everton could sell for £500.

Parry was it?

As I'm sure a lot of us do every Sunday, I'm just working my way through the latest drone videos which people have kindly posted. Paul Frost's is just brilliant. That stadium is going to be a game changer for us. Thanks to everyone who posts the drone videos. I never miss any. Some are better than others, but there is no such thing as a bad drone video of our new stadium. That wouldn't be possible. Up The Toffees.

As I'm sure a lot of us do every Sunday, I'm just working my way through the latest drone videos which people have kindly posted. Paul Frost's is just brilliant. That stadium is going to be a game changer for us. Thanks to everyone who posts the drone videos. I never miss any. Some are better than others, but there is no such thing as a bad drone video of our new stadium. That wouldn't be possible. Up The Toffees.
Agreed. The drone guys have done an amazing job keeping us updated.

Given that we’re about 7 or 8 months from completion, I went back to look at some of the drone vids from 7 or 8 months, to see what kind of progress has been made - and it’s pretty substantial:

IMG_0441.jpeg

I also went back a year, and most of the roof structure wasn’t there:

IMG_0442.jpeg

It’s like watching kids grow up - you don’t notice the difference seeing time pass slowly in front of your eyes, you only notice it looking back at photos and videos.

Given that we’re about 7 or 8 months from completion, I went back to look at some of the drone vids from 7 or 8 months, to see what kind of progress has been made - and it’s pretty substantial:

View attachment 257604

View attachment 257605

It’s like watching kids grow up - you don’t notice the difference seeing time pass slowly in front of your eyes, you only notice it looking back at photos and videos.

Imho the stadium is going to be complete from the outside bar the smallest of finishing touches by the end of August. Of course they'll be still doing stuff in and around the site up until handover, but I believe 3 months and then it will be very hard to spot anything else from that point forward.

Imho the stadium is going to be complete from the outside bar the smallest of finishing touches by the end of August. Of course they'll be still doing stuff in and around the site up until handover but I believe 3 months and then it will be very hard to spot anything else from that point forward.
Yeah, the stadium externally is nearly there.

The biggest thing I see when I look at it externally now is the paving / finishing of the ground still to be done on the wider site.

There's just so much of it to do, particularly out the West side (including digging out and finishing the water channel).

View attachment 257604

View attachment 257605

Exactly this.
Memories of eagerly watching footage of the Shoalway pumping ton upon ton of sand into the dock. It's like recalling your sons first steps. :)

I can half remember hearing stories about this back then. It would be interesting to know where the 100 acre site was, maybe that location (and/or its size, or the notion of sharing) was the deal-killer for both clubs at that time.

Yes, their higher pulling power was probably already evident by then, but the disparity has only grown severfold since, as the millions of new fans gained during the sustained success of the 70's and 80's, started to come into effect. So the differences in their stadium-needs and ours are even more stark now.

Hypothetical now of course, but not sure that 30-50k blues rattling around an 80k stadium would've been a great look. Especially if they filled it every other week and we didn't. Perhaps, if it was a practical freeby, we could've done a West Ham, stacked'em high and sold'em (very) cheap.... to get nearer filling it and winning hearts and minds that way. Don't think there's a big enough floating vote in Merseyside/North-west compared to London and the South-east for that to happen though. Interesting snippet from history though.