2023/24 Ashley Young

Enough matches to know we have a really good defence this season, of which he is an integral part. Have you noticed that bit?

Young isn't great as an individual, that's obvious. I just don't go for the knee jerk, jump on a fellas back because he effed up. I haven't counted who has effed up the most times which have lead to goals this season, that's why I asked wtte ' Is there a stat?'

I do know we have had a solid defensive unit for most of the season. Could it be improved with better, dare I say, better, younger players? Of course. Have we got the money or clout to buy them players? That remains to be seen. Probably not is my guess.

I don't disagree. But the last three words are the the most important. He's an integral part of that unit and it is disingenuous for anyone to say otherwise.

I don’t agree that he’s an integral part at all. I believe you could take him out and replace him with virtually anyone in the world and we’d get the same results. Our defence has been solid in spite of him, not because of him. The rest of the defence carries him, in fact it would probably be even more solid with a competent player in his place. We also might get a little bit more than “solid defending” out of a better full back.

I thought he looked solid and did a good job till the refs mistake. Tactically astute Mikel Arteta targeted the other side of our defence.
Targeted other side, Yet both goals still came from his side 😂

It is also incorrect.

IMG_3097.jpeg

Last edited:

I don’t agree that he’s an integral part at all. I believe you could take him out and replace him with virtually anyone in the world and we’d get the same results. Our defence has been solid in spite of him, not because of him. The rest of the defence carries him, in fact it would probably be even more solid with a competent player in his place. We also might get a little bit more than “solid defending” out of a better full back.
Well he's been a mainstay all/most of the season iirc. Of course there are better players elsewhere, of course we could be improved, but given our situation I am not sure how realistic that is without a massive slice of luck, ie buying someone for relative pennies. He's where we are mate, as cack as it is.

Naive? Not according to my definition of the word. He's been a mainstay in a fairly strong defence. That's a statement of fact.
I think the fellas crying about his contract are the ones who are naive, tbh. It seems they have very little concept of where we are at financially, as a club.
So you're okay with extending a 40 year old past it player who's costing us vital points, because the other players will make up for his lack of actual ability? In a team where literally every point matters and we play %football to try and skin a 1:0 win most the time?

That is indeed naive.

So you're okay with extending a 40 year old past it player who's costing us vital points, because the other players will make up for his lack of actual ability? In a team where literally every point matters and we play %football to try and skin a 1:0 win most the time?

That is indeed naive.
That's one way of looking at it, but once again, naively, your post does not mention where we are at financially.

Another way of looking at it, is saying we are extending contracts of players whose contributions have comfortably kept us in the division. We are doing this, because we cannot pay real money for new signings, who will also want a deal longer than 12 months.

Ashley Young isn't very good anymore. He's a squad player at best. He's a very short term solution for a club in a massive financial mess. Which bit don't you get?

We have a tiny squad, we may lose more because of our financial situation and therefore it was important to keep as many of the squad together as possible.
Certainly Ashley Young is well past his best but he did a job for us over the season in different positions and is useful as a squad player.

Keeping Young and Coleman in the squad may allow us to spend whatever budget we have on younger players we can develop rather than spending money on older players ready to step into the team to replace Young and Coleman. My guess is that both Coleman and Young will not be on big salaries next season.

That's one way of looking at it, but once again, naively, your post does not mention where we are at financially.

Another way of looking at it, is saying we are extending contracts of players whose contributions have comfortably kept us in the division. We are doing this, because we cannot pay real money for new signings, who will also want a deal longer than 12 months.

Ashley Young isn't very good anymore. He's a squad player at best. He's a very short term solution for a club in a massive financial mess. Which bit don't you get?
Yes, because I, on purpose, and because it's pointless, am talking about on the pitch. I also don't care where we are spiritually to asses that Young is atrocious and these minutes are better off wasted on a younger or academy player.

He's not "comfortably" done many things this year, but to each their own, we're not allowed criticism of piss poor players this year :)

He's not a short term solution if we're offering him another new contract and Dyche will shoehorn him into any position for "experience". Which bit don't you get?

Yes, because I, on purpose, and because it's pointless, am talking about on the pitch. I also don't care where we are spiritually to asses that Young is atrocious and these minutes are better off wasted on a younger or academy player.

He's not "comfortably" done many things this year, but to each their own, we're not allowed criticism of piss poor players this year :)

He's not a short term solution if we're offering him another new contract and Dyche will shoehorn him into any position for "experience". Which bit don't you get?
He probably will pick him. I suspect the objective next season, again, is to stay in the league and we'll see more of the same.

Simple fact is the guy is done at this level and its a sad reflection on the club (and mainly on Dyche and Thelwell) that a renewal contract is being offered.

It's not just the ridiculous pass he attempted today on 88 minutes (great example for the youngsters to look up to eh?) but that he's been playing all kinds of nonsense passes, leg taking tackles and snide trips in the box all season. Lucky he didn't cost us more points than he did.

I can get past how Dyche always gives these arl fellas the nod over bringing in and developing a proper youthful team with an actual future. He's always about shoring up the dam, keeping the handbrake on, looking over his shoulder. Bah.

He probably will pick him. I suspect the objective next season, again, is to stay in the league and we'll see more of the same.
So... he's not a short term anything but considered a starter by Dyche then, hence the contract?

And if he is a starter and costs us point is therefore detrimental to our attempts to salvage points, no?