2023/24 Sean Dyche

Our problem with hiring managers of late is we do it mid season when we are in an emergency scenario. The time to do it is early pre season to let a new manager get his ideas across and players he wants. We are paying Dyche 5 million a year, incredible money for a manager with his CV. 99.9% of managers in world football would take that wedge.
once (if) ownership is resolved and we have a clear strategy going forward then hopefully any change will be managed competently. I just don’t think we’ll necessarily be changing managers this summer. I’m guessing we need to sort our finances and give any new coach a better shot and developing his own squad, which might necessitate a bit more Dycheball in the interim.

If he keeps us comfortably safe until BMD and there’s a good natural point to look for a more progressive manager then fair enough.

Are people not allowed to be devastated if relegated and still support us while being devastated? Didn’t realise that was a rule.

No one should want us to be relegated or not care if we are relegated. As we should all want the best for our club. And the best is to be in the top league.

We go down now and we are in much bigger trouble than just being relegated.

People can be whatever they choose to be Marius, I am not the one who seems obsessed with "vaulting" other contributors opinions on any given topic to make some kind of irrelevant point.

My own personal view is if you "love" something then everything else is just white noise. If your wife "cares" about what you earn annually, then does she really love you?

Now use that example with football, if you care about what league EFC play in, do you really love/support the club ? Or is the love/support given on the basis of certain criteria.

LWhy would any "true" supporter care what league their team plays in ?

Will you no longer support us if we got relegated because you cant watch us in the pub play the "big 6" twice a season ? If so thats makes you no better than a Kopite from Norway.

I'll support EFC and go the match if its Premier League, Championship, League One so on. If being a Premier League snob makes you a super fan, then good for you my boy.

🐖🐖🐖🐖🐖🐖🐖🐖🐖🐖🪳🪳🪳🪳🪳🪳🪳🪳🪳🪳🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍

But we're not happy with losing hoofball so naturally we want the tiki-takas lad obviously.

We want to win games, like the last 2, more than once a quarter, not to emulate prime Guardiolaball.

Why is everyone obsessed with how Brighton play. And who on earth is telling anyone that’s how football should be played??

Literally nobody wants that at Goodison and it’s the worst counter argument because it holds no substance.

Anyone questions that we’ve played awful or we have no plan, here comes a troglodyte “YoU HipsTers waNt PoTTERbaLl”

I literally could not give a scooby about the "style" we play

All I care is that Everton win

If that means we do it by playing lovely possession football, then great

If that means we do it by hoofing up the pitch, then that's great too

I'm going the match, not a night at the theatre

Just win and do it fairly, that's all I care about

I'm not sure who'd have done a better job with what we have (and been interested in taking the job).

I also don't think there's enough evidence to say that Dyche won't adapt as and when circumstances allow it. Totally agree that some of the current stuff isn't easy on the eye (understatement!) but that isn't where we are as a team. Take a step back and if you ignore the incompetence that led to the points deductions, we'd be comfortably safe.

I think his achievements in the last couple of seasons deserve us sticking with him and giving him the opportunity to see what's possible when (if) we finally get our act together at the top of the club.

All of the above said, I'm still buzzing from Wednesday night so could be talking rubbish :dance:

People can be whatever they choose to be Marius, I am not the one who seems obsessed with "vaulting" other contributors opinions on any given topic to make some kind of irrelevant point.

My own personal view is if you "love" something then everything else is just white noise. If your wife "cares" about what you earn annually, then does she really love you?

Now use that example with football, if you care about what league EFC play in, do you really love/support the club ? Or is the love/support given on the basis of certain criteria.
No offence but that’s a crap analogy.

I literally could not give a scooby about the "style" we play

All I care is that Everton win

If that means we do it by playing lovely possession football, then great

If that means we do it by hoofing up the pitch, then that's great too

I'm going the match, not a night at the theatre

Just win and do it fairly, that's all I care about
Same, plus "entertaining football" is a hilariously broad term - I personally like the high press/possession football that City play, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. I also like it when teams (or, occasionally, we) know what the hell we're doing and play direct fast football, or counter-attacking football, it's very exciting and fun to watch too.

End of the day looking like you have a plan to win the game is a massive bonus and something we didn't have for a long stretch of this season.

….not sure Dyche has had much opportunity to ‘win things’ given the appointments he’s had. I presume he got Burnley promoted. I’d genuinely like to see him manage a team with genuine quality, particularly in wide areas.
Will he go for that type of player ??
Will he buy them, if he had the money,
2 pacy wingers with flair? Or 2 full backs who attack?? I doubt he does as he’s all about defence first.
There’s a reason he wasn’t head hunted in 10yrs at Burnley by successful and ambitious clubs

I'm not sure who'd have done a better job with what we have (and been interested in taking the job).

I also don't think there's enough evidence to say that Dyche won't adapt as and when circumstances allow it. Totally agree that some of the current stuff isn't easy on the eye (understatement!) but that isn't where we are as a team. Take a step back and if you ignore the incompetence that led to the points deductions, we'd be comfortably safe.

I think his achievements in the last couple of seasons deserve us sticking with him and giving him the opportunity to see what's possible when (if) we finally get our act together at the top of the club.

All of the above said, I'm still buzzing from Wednesday night so could be talking rubbish :dance:
Some like pigeon-holing Dyche as a relic from the past and it's in large part due to his appearance and personal characteristics; if he was from South America or mainland Europe there would definitely be a different perception.

Fact of the matter is he gets results and I'd say the last two games shows that he hasn't lost the dressing room at all - which some were worried about given the stuff re Patto and downturn of form.

On to his playstyle - I know for a fact at Burnley it wasn't all 20% posession (overrated/misleading stat anyway) and when we were at our best we zipped the ball about on the deck and pressed relentlessly... I've posted this on here before, Klopp gets credit for bringing intense pressing marketed up as 'geggenpressing' or 'heavy metal football' but when Dychey first came to Burnley we blitzed the Champ (with some pretty average players in large parts of the team) with our relentless pressing and zipping the ball about the park at pace.

I will say that when his back is really up against the wall, injuries, downturn of form etc he does have a tendency to sort of go right back to basics and formulate a really basic gameplan/playing style - that is one critique I do have of him but he obviously believes that if his team is doing enough of X for Y amount of time then he will get Z amount of results which is enough to get over the line.

I can understand the frustration shared from large swathes of fans with the downturn in form an 14/15 matches without a win but crikey I do think the Everton job is one of, if not the hardest in English football at this moment in time.

Again, some of the shouts/comps for managers from the Championship that hasn't anywhere near what Dyche has done seems a little strange... Just for a quick comp look at what he's done with this side vs Lampard, even after losing Richarlison, Gordon and a few others, with the squad also 2 years older. That in itself speaks volumes to me.

Will he go for that type of player ??
Will he buy them, if he had the money,
2 pacy wingers with flair? Or 2 full backs who attack?? I doubt he does as he’s all about defence first.
There’s a reason he wasn’t head hunted in 10yrs at Burnley by successful and ambitious clubs

….100% he’d want that type of quality but let’s not forget, it’s the DoF who brings players in.

Some like pigeon-holing Dyche as a relic from the past and it's in large part due to his appearance and personal characteristics; if he was from South America or mainland Europe there would definitely be a different perception.

Fact of the matter is he gets results and I'd say the last two games shows that he hasn't lost the dressing room at all - which some were worried about given the stuff re Patto and downturn of form.

On to his playstyle - I know for a fact at Burnley it wasn't all 20% posession (overrated/misleading stat anyway) and when we were at our best we zipped the ball about on the deck and pressed relentlessly... I've posted this on here before, Klopp gets credit for bringing intense pressing marketed up as 'geggenpressing' or 'heavy metal football' but when Dychey first came to Burnley we blitzed the Champ (with some pretty average players in large parts of the team) with our relentless pressing and zipping the ball about the park at pace.

I will say that when his back is really up against the wall, injuries, downturn of form etc he does have a tendency to sort of go right back to basics and formulate a really basic gameplan/playing style - that is one critique I do have of him but he obviously believes that if his team is doing enough of X for Y amount of time then he will get Z amount of results which is enough to get over the line.

I can understand the frustration shared from large swathes of fans with the downturn in form an 14/15 matches without a win but crikey I do think the Everton job is one of, if not the hardest in English football at this moment in time.

Again, some of the shouts/comps for managers from the Championship that hasn't anywhere near what Dyche has done seems a little strange... Just for a quick comp look at what he's done with this side vs Lampard, even after losing Richarlison, Gordon and a few others, with the squad also 2 years older. That in itself speaks volumes to me.
He has a better squad that what Lampard had last year.
And no disrespect to Burnley, but this is Everton we’re talking about. He was at Burnley 10yrs than sat twiddling his thumbs for 12 months after getting sacked. Why did no bigger clubs look to take him from Burnley ??

Why would any "true" supporter care what league their team plays in ?

Will you no longer support us if we got relegated because you cant watch us in the pub play the "big 6" twice a season ? If so thats makes you no better than a Kopite from Norway.

I'll support EFC and go the match if its Premier League, Championship, League One so on. If being a Premier League snob makes you a super fan, then good for you my boy.
We are PL snobs cos guess what... we've never been relegated, there's not many blues who even know what it's like to play in the 2nd division

Well he could have played Patterson more pushed Myko up the pitch, give danjuma and dobbin more game time. When McNeil and Harrison were stinking the gaff out every week. So you think Thelwell picked Ashley young

….some posters think Patterson is Carlos Alberto but he doesn’t play for a reason. The fact Mykolenko hasn’t an assist to his name in his time here isn’t because he’s been restricted under various managers. Those who watched Dobbin coming through the Academy know he’s not a ‘winger’, I’d have used him more off the bench in the Doucoure role but we all have our different views on selection.

Remember folk saying Dyche wouldn’t play Branthwaite over Keane. Utter nonsense. He’ll use quality if he has it. What he’s done is formulate an effective system with the players he has at his disposal, let’s hope he has more attacking ammunition next season.