2023/24 Sean Dyche

I'm not a big fan of his and I do want him replaced whatever happens this summer, but you only need to look at the utter state of the squad to realise why he's got the team playing the way it is.

We have:
  • 1 centre half that can pass a football - Branthwaite
  • 0 full backs capable of attacking
  • 0 midfielders that have proven they can regularly control that area of the park - Onana shows it in glimpses only
  • 0 midfielders that have a moment of real magic in them
  • 0 wingers that can beat a man
  • 0 wingers that can put a handful of quality crosses in each game
  • No pace in any area of the squad
  • 0 strikers that have a killer instinct
  • Absolutely appalling options in backup
I don't see how anybody could look at that and expect a ball-playing, fast-paced style of football. It's awful, the options are disgraceful and this is the result of a decade of decay.

Onana, Tarkowski, Branthwaite, Garner and Pickford are all fine footballers, but when the rest of them are abysmal they simply cannot do it by themselves, eventually any nice move or passage of play is going to break down due to a lack of quality where it matters.

It seems we can't ask them to pass it out from the back as ultimately Tarkowski or one of the full backs would gift possession away. We can't go through the middle as neither Gueye, Onana or Garner can pick a through ball (and nobody is there to make a run anyway). We can't go to the wings as McNeil and Harrison's first thoughts are to slow the game down and pass backwards.

That leaves us with going long and relying on set pieces, which is what Dyche does.

I really don't think any other manager gets this group of players playing nice effective football, but I hope the summer brings lots of change, with a new board, new manager and plenty of players in and out.

I'm not a big fan of his and I do want him replaced whatever happens this summer, but you only need to look at the utter state of the squad to realise why he's got the team playing the way it is.

We have:
  • 0 midfields that have proven they can regularly control that area of the park - Onana shows it in glimpses only
I don't see how anybody could look at that and expect a ball-playing, fast-paced style of football. It's awful, the options are disgraceful and this is the result of a decade of decay.

It seems we can't ask them to pass it out from the back as ultimately Tarkowski or one of the full backs would gift possession away. We can't go through the middle as neither Gueye, Onana or Garner can pick a through ball (and nobody is there to make a run anyway). We can't go to the wings as McNeil and Harrison's first thoughts are to slow the game down and pass backwards.

That leaves us with going long and relying on set pieces, which is what Dyche does.

I really don't think any other manager gets this group of players playing nice effective football, but I hope the summer brings lots of change, with a new board, new manager and plenty of players in and out.
This. Spot on.

Dyche isn’t perfect for sure but the attacking options in the squad are dire. Last few months have been awful viewing but it’s a worse squad than last season, and the previous two - when we were already awful.

I feel the anger towards dyche has lessened the vitriol towards the people who really deserve it. Moshiri, kenwright, the board, ex managers, brands/walsh. These are the people who mean we will likely get TWO points deductions in a season - it’s unforgivable what they have done to this club. Gross mismanagement…and I believe that it wouldn’t have happened under a dyche tenure.

No club in the bottom half would likely cope well with two points deductions. It’s changed all perception of our season.

I am happy that their not a Watford 2.0 that sacks a manager every 7 games. They would have enough reasons for Kompany and also Dyche over the years.

On prem level only, I would be very disappointed by Kompany for not adapting the tactics. In this case he's as stubborn as Dyche, Burnley lost another game for forcing the play out of the back and making a few very crucial mistakes, leading to the goal, another big chance by DCL and also a red card + another devastating ball losses that were not punished by us.

In the end, they have invested a lot of money into the squad this season, but are worse in the table than in any Dyche season, despite playing better for the eye. Results count most in the end. Could be that their transfer strategy was bad by not getting enough prem ready players, instead young players only.

But I think their squad is way better than Lutons or Sheffield's.

Not if there’s a long term plan, imagine watching for 10yrs what we’ve watched for 15 months.

Burnley obviously decided to go a different route and fair does to them.

Different ball game with Burnley.

I think theyre implementing a plan for the long term and creating a new identity takes time.

I expect them to be down and come back up again with more to them once Kompany and the team have more experience.

Different kettle of fish to us.

Insane we have conceded the 4 least goals in the league. Only bettered by Liverpool, City and Arsenal.

I never find it that insane, we always have the capability for a good defence. Even last year under Lampard, after 18 games in league we had the 8th best defence.

I’m pretty sure we had like the 3rd best defence after 10/11 games. And that was without branthwaite and including Patterson (who many don’t rate).

Just by Dyche being who he is, I’d expect him to improve that. (He didn’t last year because of his strange selection of Keane every week but once he got past that, it has improved).

Weve got the foundations in place to build upon.

Somehow we need to improve the attacking content.

Different ball game with Burnley.

I think theyre implementing a plan for the long term and creating a new identity takes time.

I expect them to be down and come back up again with more to them once Kompany and the team have more experience.

Different kettle of fish to us.

Weve got the foundations in place to build upon.

Somehow we need to improve the attacking content.

What I find bizarre is that up till probably Fulham in the cup, I thought we were the best attacking we'd been for many a year. It was effective, fast paced and powerful rather than any beautiful football. But it was good and both my eyes and the metrics backed it up.

In fact think how well we played at Spurs and lost. Best performance in losing for many a year.

The longer the win less run has gone on, the pressure has increased and the football has vanished.

Shame really. By biggest bug bear with Dyche.

It's a truly odd situation at Everton.

It's the worst football I can ever remember ( worse than Allardyce) but on any view points wise Dyche is doing an excellent job in incredibly difficult circumstances.

I don't see the situation improving until we have new owners ( not 777).

Until then Dyche is the best chance of keeping Everton in the division.

Only problem is we could lose a generation of fans whilst he is at the helm.

I've no idea what the answer is. If the imperative is to stay in the PL until we get to BMD then you keep Dyche.

If we have ambition beyond that you roll the dice and get rid at the end of the season.

What I find bizarre is that up till probably Fulham in the cup, I thought we were the best attacking we'd been for many a year. It was effective, fast paced and powerful rather than any beautiful football. But it was good and both my eyes and the metrics backed it up.

In fact think how well we played at Spurs and lost. Best performance in losing for many a year.

The longer the win less run has gone on, the pressure has increased and the football has vanished.

Shame really. By biggest bug bear with Dyche.

The pressure with the pts deductions shows the reality of the business.

Im sure Dyche would love to play on the front foot as we have done at times this season. But hes felt that the best chance we have is to play % football.

If it was guaranteed we would improve our pts again next season id keep him.

We need to improve our standing in the league and turnover the players but it all takes time.

We have:
  • 0 midfielders that have proven they can regularly control that area of the park - Onana shows it in glimpses only

Onana, Tarkowski, Branthwaite, Garner and Pickford are all fine footballers, but when the rest of them are abysmal they simply cannot do it by themselves, eventually any nice move or passage of play is going to break down due to a lack of quality where it matters.

Can’t disagree with a single word of that! The damage was done by years of abysmal management under Kenwright and even when we brought investment in, the utter disaster bringing in Koeman and his diabolical over priced garbage signings. Even then, the board didn’t learn, the horrendous recruitment too long to list. Deli Ali…

No question Dyche has his hands tied with this squad and the points deduction. I think he’s instilled some discipline and fight. Especially away from home. I question whether he has actually improved any of our players? OK, Branthwaite/Tarkowski look a solid pairing. Solid defence is Dyche’s strong point. So why can’t he help Patterson? Godfrey is a good athlete, strong, fast, but absolutely no positional sense or concentration. Keane looks finished.
And what do his coaches bring? What do they do in training? Doucoure, Harrison, Beto can’t trap a bag of cement. We must give away more cheap possession than any other team in the league. I’m not expecting Man City/Arsenal style, but we have to keep the ball a lot better than we do currently.

Hopefully survive this season. Replace ASAP!

The terrifying thought I have with replacing him is I just don't see anyone avaliable who would get more out of this squad and handle the club like he has.

The terrifying thought I have with replacing him is I just don't see anyone avaliable who would get more out of this squad and handle the club like he has.
Perfect time for mass change this summer then. Plenty out of contract, a takeover whether 777 or somebody else, and big assets likely to be sold to cover debt/provide some kind of transfer funds.

We know that if we do survive and not make drastic changes, it will just be more of the same next season, so a great opportunity to try and move forward in the summer.

Got to stay up first mind you.

I never find it that insane, we always have the capability for a good defence. Even last year under Lampard, after 18 games in league we had the 8th best defence.

I’m pretty sure we had like the 3rd best defence after 10/11 games. And that was without branthwaite and including Patterson (who many don’t rate).

Just by Dyche being who he is, I’d expect him to improve that. (He didn’t last year because of his strange selection of Keane every week but once he got past that, it has improved).
In fact, our average per season of scoring has been 43 per season and 55 conceded. So rather low scoring has been our problem, than our defense in the last 7 seasons. Probably we will be a bit under the 43 scored and better than 55 conceded at the end of the season.

Dyche won't be the manager to fix that and there will be the time to get rid of him, but also it's as sure that some players like Doucoure, Young or Harrison mustn't be our future as they don't offer pace, passing ability or proper ball treatment for free fluid football. That was a terrible watch yesterday despite our hoofball to glory.

What I would say that improved under Dyche, we are getting fewer losses against teams of the bottom 6, which is very crucial at the moment. In the last season under Lampard, we lost against Southampton, Bournemouth, West Ham and Leicester and Wolves in his last few games.

Funny seeing the same people who lauded Dyche for his post-match interview after the final game of last season call for his sacking.

I don't think people fully appreciate how awful our squad is relative to the rest of the league. We had a right side with a combined age of over 70 years old against Burnley.

This 10th largest wage bill shouts does nothing but show the mess he has inhereted.

With everything that's going on, if he keeps us up - which it looks like he likely will - he deserves huge plaudits. The club is on its arse, and the fact that we're competitive in the relegation battle - never mind away from it for the time being is a testament to his player management.

His problem is that he is openly stating that he's happy for us to play ugly and grind out some 1-0 results, and that weve tried playing prettier but gone on to lose.
In a way thats ok but there's ugly and theres UGLY.
I wonder if he'd have happily said after the game that we on purposely set up to play ugly, had we not won the game.?

His problem is that he is openly stating that he's happy for us to play ugly and grind out some 1-0 results, and that weve tried playing prettier but gone on to lose.
In a way thats ok but there's ugly and theres UGLY.
I wonder if he'd have happily said after the game that we on purposely set up to play ugly, had we not won the game.?

That was how he operated at Burnley

He needs to go and we need a manager with an attacking mindset.

Funny seeing the same people who lauded Dyche for his post-match interview after the final game of last season call for his sacking.

I don't think people fully appreciate how awful our squad is relative to the rest of the league. We had a right side with a combined age of over 70 years old against Burnley.

This 10th largest wage bill shouts does nothing but show the mess he has inhereted.

With everything that's going on, if he keeps us up - which it looks like he likely will - he deserves huge plaudits. The club is on its arse, and the fact that we're competitive in the relegation battle - never mind away from it for the time being is a testament to his player management.
That wage thing is not really a good argument.

United pays more than City, so they are better than them. Liverpool pays less wages than Chelsea, so Chelsea is the better club. Us and Forest being better than Brighton or Wolves? Nope, better squad and better manager.