2023/24 Sean Dyche

Mykolenko is a waste of time going forward. I think Dyche simplifying his game has helped him and us.

We've not had a right back - I've been banging the Patterson drum recently but then I've just clocked his mistake for Scotland tonight. Maybe he's just crap. Who knows.

But if the main criticism is "play Mykolenko further forward or Patterson" then that speaks volumes.
Nah it’s not

My main criticism is: lack of plan A, no plan B, inability to get the best out of players, poor substitutes, poor game management, playing favourites, playing players who are clearly out of form, 60 minute substitutes, like for like substitutes and no attacking way of approaching games

I may add to this list

Nah it’s not

My main criticism is: lack of plan A, no plan B, inability to get the best out of players, poor substitutes, poor game management, playing favourites, playing players who are clearly out of form, 60 minute substitutes, like for like substitutes and no attacking way of approaching games

I may add to this list

"No plan B. Poor subs. Poor game management. Playing favourites. Playing players who are out of form"

This was our bench last game - and this was probably the best bench we've had for a while.

20240326_211938.png

So when Harrison or McNeil are below par - the answer is Young or Dobbin.

Some plan B, that.

I think he's got the best out of Mykolenko myself.

Daft choices at RB is just not playing Patterson isn't it?
He had Coleman on the bench for a few games. I get it, maybe Godfrey is better than a not fully fit coleman.
When we're struggling in attack maybe Patterson was the solution.
Young definitely isnt any more.
I dunno, it's not so much the players for me as the unwillingness to change till it's way too late.
Like RB, Godfrey did well for a while but he was out of position and when he stopped doing well Dyche waited for ages and then made the wrong choice for me.
Even if he doesnt trust Patterson, try Garner there again.
I just watch the games and find myself more frustrated by him than any manager we've ever had.
It feels like we're sleepwalking in to the breech.

He had Coleman on the bench for a few games. I get it, maybe Godfrey is better than a not fully fit coleman.
When we're struggling in attack maybe Patterson was the solution.
Young definitely isnt any more.
I dunno, it's not so much the players for me as the unwillingness to change till it's way too late.
Like RB, Godfrey did well for a while but he was out of position and when he stopped doing well Dyche waited for ages and then made the wrong choice for me.
Even if he doesnt trust Patterson, try Garner there again.
I just watch the games and find myself more frustrated by him than any manager we've ever had.
It feels like we're sleepwalking in to the breech.

Again though, the sought for solutions there is right back/criticism there is about Patterson isn't it.

Godfrey has only recently come in at full back. That's trying something different because of a lack of options.

It's easy to roll out cliche stuff like "no plan B" or whatever, but the options just aren't there IMO. I mean, look at the bench whenever things aren't going well.

I post earlier I'd be starting Patterson now but I've no clue whether he's any good.

"No plan B. Poor subs. Poor game management. Playing favourites. Playing players who are out of form"

This was our bench last game - and this was probably the best bench we've had for a while.

View attachment 250126

Some plan B, that.
Harrison, McNeil off
Patterson DCL on

Switch to a 3-5-2; Godfrey at right centre back; Mykelenko left wingback when in possession and try push up field

Out of possession revert back to 4-4-1-1, Patterson holding right midfield on top of Godfrey. Onana or Garner shifting out left and doucoure dropping in to offer support

If that’s not working and we’re still chasing. Sacrifice Mykolenko and put Branthwaite at LB, Chermeti on, go 433 with him and Beto either side of dom and look for balls down the channels

plan B and C right there

View attachment 250126

Some plan B, that.
Or, change the system, changes don't always have to be like for like. That's the absence of a Plan B.

Harrison, McNeil off
Patterson DCL on

Switch to a 3-5-2; Godfrey at right centre back; Mykelenko left wingback when in possession and try push up field

Out of possession revert back to 4-4-1-1, Patterson holding right midfield on top of Godfrey. Onana or Garner shifting out left and doucoure dropping in to offer support

If that’s not working and we’re still chasing. Sacrifice Mykolenko and put Branthwaite at LB, Chermeti on, go 433 with him and Beto either side of dom and look for balls down the channels

plan B and C right there
They’re not exactly great plans though are they? I don’t mean having a pop at your ideas I just mean they aren’t things that you’d say I don’t understand why he doesn’t do this are they they’re just kind of random shouts of things that might possibly work out different not stuff that’s backed by any evidence. If the best plan b we have is put a 6 foot 5 teenage centre at left back and a striker with no senior record at all out wide then you can kind of see why he isn’t doing it I think. We’re at a point where it might be worth a try I agree but I wouldn’t say it’s bad that he hasn’t done it.

They’re not exactly great plans though are they? I don’t mean having a pop at your ideas I just mean they aren’t things that you’d say I don’t understand why he doesn’t do this are they they’re just kind of random shouts of things that might possibly work out different not stuff that’s backed by any evidence. If the best plan b we have is put a 6 foot 5 teenage centre at left back and a striker with no senior record at all out wide then you can kind of see why he isn’t doing it I think. We’re at a point where it might be worth a try I agree but I wouldn’t say it’s bad that he hasn’t done it.

I agree mate, he should just continue to replace the striker on 60 minutes and hope this 13 game winless run comes to an end.

Thats why we pay him £5m a year, just to give up without even trying anything remotely different

Defending this tactical magician is beyond insane . But then again some on here have.been happy clapping for years. Ergo accepting the [Poor language removed] show week in week out and getting close to the worse run ever doesn’t surprise me .

I agree mate, he should just continue to replace the striker on 60 minutes and hope this 13 game winless run comes to an end.

Thats why we pay him £5m a year, just to give up without even trying anything remotely different
No I just said I can see that it could be worth a try just for the hell of it so you don’t need to patronise me as if you’re a football genius. No opposition manager is worried that we’re going to be putting branthwaite left back and chermiti and Beto on the wings and suddenly turning into Real Madrid is alls I’m saying it’s not actually a good plan b is it in fact on paper it’s absolutely awful and probably the worst idea I’ve ever seen but yeah how much worse can it be I agree with that bit.

No I just said I can see that it could be worth a try just for the hell of it so you don’t need to patronise me as if you’re a football genius. No opposition manager is worried that we’re going to be putting branthwaite left back and chermiti and Beto on the wings and suddenly turning into Real Madrid is alls I’m saying it’s not actually a good plan b is it in fact on paper it’s absolutely awful and probably the worst idea I’ve ever seen but yeah how much worse can it be I agree with that bit.
Is it as mad as playing a very poor centre back, who hasn’t been involved all season, at right back because.

And you’re literally acting like what I said was that I’m having a go at him for not doing. I simply, in the space of 2 minutes, looked at the screen shot and came up with 2 very quick ideas

Maybe if I had all season with the players I could come up with something better. And I’d do it for less than £5m a year

Is it as mad as playing a very poor centre back, who hasn’t been involved all season, at right back because.

And you’re literally acting like what I said was that I’m having a go at him for not doing. I simply, in the space of 2 minutes, looked at the screen shot and came up with 2 very quick ideas

Maybe if I had all season with the players I could come up with something better. And I’d do it for less than £5m a year
this is a good point.
most of us here kinda click in to the thread and offer amateur opinions/solutions that we come up with on the fly
It's his full time job and he doesn't really try much of anything. And when he does, you know who ever is in the opposition dugout knows exactly what he's going to do.