6 + 2 Point Deductions

Hmm well Kompany spent a bomb this summer gone, they must’ve spent about £40m, maybe they are close too.
This current seasons ins and outs at Burnley show an income of £3.8M and an expenditure of -£111.05M so -£107.25 net.

22/23 their net was +£33.26M.
21/22 their net was -£8.90M.

So a significant spend this season as you say. It will be interesting to see how that goes for them, especially if relegated.

I don't think opposing fans should be gleeful over this, clubs losing points is a disgrace and this whole season has been a sham from start to finish, a complete write off for me. Never seen such blatant nonsense of making up rules as they go along in any other sport.

Had to be us first though didn't it, Niasse situation again. These decisions need to start being challenged in court if they're going to ruin clubs and communities with their BS.

The weird thing with Leicester is that while you can easily pinpoint where it went wrong for us and Forest in terms of signings / wages etc it’s quite hard with Leicester.

Over the period they’ve been charged they’ve had some big sales (Maguire / Chilwell / Fofana), some of their signings have been expensive flops but not nearly as many as us. Surely the system has to have some tolerance for a few missteps.

My guess would be that the league win and CL football triggered large pay rises for the squad at that time, and then subsequent signings fit into that new inflated wage structure that wasn’t sustainable without the inflated revenue.

They’ve definitely made mistakes but it shows the unforgiving the whole system is: we want you to spend spend spend to improve the product, woah there you’ve spent too much, we’ll have your points.
I think that’s the issue. You win the league and to remain competitive you simply can’t.

They got their recruitment slightly wrong, whilst offering higher wages to remain competitive. It went slightly wrong and then the club imploded on itself.

But gloss reading their charge, it seems that like us a lot of their losses are on infrastructure with this new training facility - which is supposed to be unbelievable. I haven’t gone into much detail but may be wrong on this matter

This current seasons ins and outs at Burnley show an income of £3.8M and an expenditure of -£111.05M so -£107.25 net.

22/23 their net was +£33.26M.
21/22 their net was -£8.90M.

So a significant spend this season as you say. It will be interesting to see how that goes for them, especially if relegated.
And this is where I have some sympathy with Forest: Burnley spent 100m and are miles off good enough. Forest spent 200m+ and are only just good enough. For a club just to be competitive in the league that appears to be necessary.

The team who’ve done the “correct” thing is Sheffield United: spend nothing, trouser the to money and the parachute payments. The cost of staying in the league now exceeds the value of staying in the league especially if PSR will nail the ones that do.

What a farcical situation when it’s better to not even try.

I just saw a piece on Sky in which Kaveh Solhekol stated that a charge for Leicester is unfair given that they have already been punished i.e. relegated 🤔
I don't think that is how it works to be honest
What a load of crap
How about we’ve already been punished by losing Ancelotti, Richarlison, James, Digne, Gordon and having to watch the worst football we’ve played since 90s where we either try and grind out a result under Dyche or get regularly smashed under Lampard or Benitez.
Ancelotti was an Allan/Doucoure injury crisis away from getting us into Europa minimum, if not Champions League and now we’re on our third relegation battle all because our sponsor got sanctioned and we dared to build a beautiful new stadium which enhances the premier league brand and the brand of English football.
How dare we.

I just saw a piece on Sky in which Kaveh Solhekol stated that a charge for Leicester is unfair given that they have already been punished i.e. relegated 🤔
It isn’t and a key point is it’s spending over 3 years so the money they spent in year one and two meant they didn’t get relegated even in year 3 they didn’t finish bottom gained extra merit payments

Shows the league should put in a structuregoing down the leagues. Would not be shocked if thar did work like forest, but looks like they have done what we did handed the books in late so not to deal with it this season. I did read they could be done under the new rules. But whole thing is a mess clubs under this period of charges city leicester chelsea forest we should all be done under same rules

Maybe they would be better allowing the clubs that finish lower in the league to spend more money on players than those that finish higher in the league (as long as they can afford it). Would perhaps go some way to make the league more competitive. Although perhaps there would be some issue where a club may try to purposely finish lower - although why bother being in the league if you dont want to get as high as possible, you also get higher prize money for finishing higher. The current rules are a joke and just allow those at the top to keep on dominating, anyone who dares to challenge either goes bust or has all their points deducted.

The weird thing with Leicester is that while you can easily pinpoint where it went wrong for us and Forest in terms of signings / wages etc it’s quite hard with Leicester.

Over the period they’ve been charged they’ve had some big sales (Maguire / Chilwell / Fofana), some of their signings have been expensive flops but not nearly as many as us. Surely the system has to have some tolerance for a few missteps.

My guess would be that the league win and CL football triggered large pay rises for the squad at that time, and then subsequent signings fit into that new inflated wage structure that wasn’t sustainable without the inflated revenue.

They’ve definitely made mistakes but it shows the unforgiving the whole system is: we want you to spend spend spend to improve the product, woah there you’ve spent too much, we’ll have your points.

It certainly did in 2008 when the rules were introduced... Just had a quick Google and as of summer 2008, Robinho was the PLs most expensive signing at £32.5million... this remained the case up until the RS signed Andy Carroll in 2011 for £35million.

For reference - we signed Fellaini around that time for £15million. This was our record signing... I don't when we broke that record or who the signing was.

But the point is, when the FFP rules were brought in, £10million was a significant fee for the majority of PL teams to pay at the time. There was no way anyone was going to be making £105million losses with transfer fees like that.

Nowadays you can spend £50million on a player and nobody really bats an eyelid, all of a sudden you're half way to breaching if they flop.

Even the most cursory of glances at Leicesters accounts point a a problem

In 21/22 their accounts showed a couple of major issues such as
1) They point to the fact that they were running a wage bill close to top 6 proprtion
2) Interest charges alone accounted for just under £20 million
3) Their very much state of the art training facility is massive and extremely expensive to run. A simple example is that energy consumption at Leicester is 17 million kWh . For comparison Evertons is 7 million

And this is where I have some sympathy with Forest: Burnley spent 100m and are miles off good enough. Forest spent 200m+ and are only just good enough. For a club just to be competitive in the league that appears to be necessary.

The team who’ve done the “correct” thing is Sheffield United: spend nothing, trouser the to money and the parachute payments. The cost of staying in the league now exceeds the value of staying in the league especially if PSR will nail the ones that do.

What a farcical situation when it’s better to not even try.
I dont really for forest i did get why at the start but they just kept going like what we did. Is abit of both i get spending but should have tried harder to cut back once they had to many players, they left it far to late. Look how far we have cut the squad back here over the past seasons. I just want to see a better balance thats hopefully will stops other clubs having to go with the mess of a ffp case we hqve had

Even the most cursory of glances at Leicesters accounts point a a problem

In 21/22 their accounts showed a couple of major issues such as
1) They point to the fact that they were running a wage bill close to top 6 proprtion
2) Interest charges alone accounted for just under £20 million
3) Their very much state of the art training facility is massive and extremely expensive to run. A simple example is that energy consumption at Leicester is 17 million kWh . For comparison Evertons is 7 million
This speaks to the whole point about inflation: if it was just transfer fees that had massively risen since the 105 limit came in you could say that sales should at least keep pace with purchases and so balance maintained.

But it's the whole cost of running a business: how much more does it cost just to turn the lights on now than ten years ago? How much more do clubs have to pay their staff? It's the every day inflation that hasn't been accounted for and it can't be a total coincidence that the last two years of massive inflation have seen clubs start to fall into PSR difficulties.

At least the new system of revenue v squad cost takes all operational expenditure like bills out of the equation but not before a bunch of clubs have been penalised by non inflation adjusted numbers.

I have no love for Leicester but the story of English football:

Club A:
Promoted the PL
Wins PL
Starts selling best players
Wins FA Cup
Continues to sell best players
Builds state of the art training facility
Relegated
Accounts report £92m loss

Verdict: Points deduction

Club B:
Has £750m debt

Verdict: Sound
I think in a nutshell that explains what is wrong with English football at the moment

I don't think opposing fans should be gleeful over this, clubs losing points is a disgrace and this whole season has been a sham from start to finish, a complete write off for me. Never seen such blatant nonsense of making up rules as they go along in any other sport.

Had to be us first though didn't it, Niasse situation again. These decisions need to start being challenged in court if they're going to ruin clubs and communities with their BS.
Not been to a game since the Fulham in the cup... Wont either until this nonsense is finished. Really has ruined football for me. Straw that broke the camels back, what with VAR then having tweedledum and tweedledee in Moshiri and Kenwright (RIP) run this debacle that is Everton Football Club.