6 + 2 Point Deductions

We were always the ideal candidate for the Premier League to use to 'show that they mean business'. A (historically) 'big club' who currently doesn't contribute to the gravy train. They could point at their sanction of us and say 'look, it doesn't matter who they are, we will take action and that means we should be left to regulate ourselves'. Relegating Forest (or Burnley or Brentford) wouldn't have the same effect for them.

Everton being in a relegation battle means millions of kopite eyeballs are watching televised relegation games that just simply wouldn’t be watching if Luton and Forest were slugging it out.

The PL economically benefits from us being down there, they’ll do whatever they can to keep this status quo for as long as possible.

It all depends what they call cooperation. We came out publicly to say we didn't agree with the charge, but as far as I know we've cooperated since. Who knows tbh, I would assume 6 more deducted and try and stay up based on that.

We also had dialogue with the league a year prior as part of being cooperative.

Forest turned up, bought 40 players, spent £35mill over the threshold, then blamed us and the league for it to get 4 points..

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 16.41.35.png

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 16.43.00.png

They seem okay with 4 points - their forum suggests they know they've got away with one there.

It should be irrelevant what happened to us if they reviewed it "case by case" as they said in the conclusion of our hearing.

The fact that part of Forest's arguement is the fact that if the league had punished us sooner, and we hadn't "delayed" the hearing, they wouldn't have had to spend more than they should.... shouldn't have been an excuse.
I don't think they were saying that. They were saying they could have delayed the hearing to avoid relegation, and they haven't. The points deduction currently puts them in the relegation zone so some might say it's a fair argument.

Whatever has gone on here, I think it will show how much of an administrative mess the club is in if they aren’t capable of cobbling together a clear concise damning statement tonight, highlighting both the absolute size and % size of the breaches. I fear we won’t, and that would push me over really. What’s the point if the club itself doesn’t have any fight left.

We got charged along with Forest in mid January and the whole process will still not be concluded by the last game of the season.

There’s not a chance they would have been able to conclude the case before the end of last season when we weren’t charged until the final week of March.

These new rules have been brought into effect to stop what happened last season from happening again.

They had to legally say that, and the club celebrated that outcome.
We didn't struggle to get our financial accounts signed off for being clean.
A dodgy accountant doing dodgy accountant things
But if I've read correctly, the Independent Panel said that, and in todays deliberation the PL state they disagree with that.
That disagreement has been a part of Forest getting a smaller punishment.

They had to legally say that, and the club celebrated that outcome.
We didn't struggle to get our financial accounts signed off for being clean.
A dodgy accountant doing dodgy accountant things

It didn't matter if they legally had to say anything, that was main factor in the reduced penalty from 10pts to 6pts. Every other mitigating factor was dismissed.

Now the IC for the Forest case has stated that Forest deserved 2pts back for their honesty and cooperation unlike Everton. So they're going against what we got points back for.

So who is lying? Independent panel 1? Independent panel 2?