2023/24 Sean Dyche

The bottom 3.

Ultimately, Dyche has us 11 points and a significantly better goal difference above 18th place. The fact that we're as close to the bottom 3 as we are is completely out of his and the players' control.

That's not to say our recent form hasn't been awful and we shouldn't have thrown away the points we did against Brighton and West Ham. That's up to him to sort out ASAP.
Even without the points deduction we'd be in 13th place equal with the mighty Bournemouth and 4 points behind fulham playing the worst football in the league. He's lucky some are easily pleased.

The bottom 3.

Ultimately, Dyche has us 11 points and a significantly better goal difference above 18th place. The fact that we're as close to the bottom 3 as we are is completely out of his and the players' control.

That's not to say our recent form hasn't been awful and we shouldn't have thrown away the points we did against Brighton and West Ham. That's up to him to sort out ASAP.
Not really ASAP - it's been on him to sort since the start of the season, but he hasn't and he likely won't.

We're preparing for a relegation fight and 38 draws with him in charge, that's his ceiling. Any other manager having the same football and same results would've been hounded out and lynched at Goodison, but we're ridiculously okay with sub-par everything and making up excuses for him.

Not really ASAP - it's been on him to sort since the start of the season, but he hasn't and he likely won't.

We're preparing for a relegation fight and 38 draws with him in charge, that's his ceiling. Any other manager having the same football and same results would've been hounded out and lynched at Goodison, but we're ridiculously okay with sub-par everything and making up excuses for him.

We've had this conversation before in this thread me thinks!

My POV: Dyche's remit this season was to keep us in the league, by hook or by crook, and with as much breathing space as possible. If it wasn't for points deductions, he'd be achieving that. Improving playing style can come when we're more settled in the league.

This is all short term.

Like everyone else on this forum, I'd love us to be playing teams off the park week in week out. But we were never going to jump straight into that on the back of 2 last minute relegation survivals.

My POV: Dyche's remit this season was to keep us in the league, by hook or by crook, and with as much breathing space as possible. If it wasn't for points deductions, he'd be achieving that. Improving playing style can come when we're more settled in the league.

This is all short term.

Like everyone else on this forum, I'd love us to be playing teams off the park week in week out. But we were never going to jump straight into that on the back of 2 last minute relegation survivals.
Not unlikely, that's been my opinion since day 1 of him coming here lol feels crap being right about the gut feeling of "he's literally Sean Dyche and he will not improve" to be honest - I said it ages ago but I'd have loved to be wrong and for him to be the gravelly voiced Cholo, but alas, he's still and will always be Sean Dyche.

It's not even about that, about style - style with no substances is pointless, but we're playing football without substance and getting soundbites of "team gave their best". Arsed mate, it's another loss/draw against a crap team, again. I'd get it if we were winning by hook or by crook as you say, but we're playing to not lose by hook or by crook, that's the plan - "don't lose". It's dire, it makes us boring and frustrating to watch, it makes the team unable to play football.

Adding this again, but - getting us breathing space while he, himself, doesn't ever play any kind of advantage for us is this meme:
1709646016367.jpeg

But then blaming points deductions or saying we had superior xG.

No subs, no proactive anything, no plan B, no decision to go for it when we can, no plan of attack other than "hoof" - that's not on the players, as limited as they apparently are I'm 100000% sure they can pass the ball if he wasn't shouting to go long all game every game. We've played better and more effective football with worse players, that's on the manager. And by better I don't mean Barcelona, I mean just adequate gameplan football - we did it earlier, when we got those 4 wins, but teams figured and sussed us out and we immediately [Poor language removed] the bed and don't know how to react. Been this way since the last of those wins in December.

Much like how our lucky 4 in a row made people want him to stay forever for some reason, really.

Thing is, "one win and it goes away" and there's been 0 this year and the football is crap. When is it finally time to criticise this or are we using the off the field excuses until he relegates us?
I stated earlier, Sunday morning, sack him right now or stick it out until the bitter end... you pays your money and takes your chances

Not unlikely, that's been my opinion since day 1 of him coming here lol feels crap being right about the gut feeling of "he's literally Sean Dyche and he will not improve" to be honest - I said it ages ago but I'd have loved to be wrong and for him to be the gravelly voiced Cholo, but alas, he's still and will always be Sean Dyche.

It's not even about that, about style - style with no substances is pointless, but we're playing football without substance and getting soundbites of "team gave their best". Arsed mate, it's another loss/draw against a crap team, again. I'd get it if we were winning by hook or by crook as you say, but we're playing to not lose by hook or by crook, that's the plan - "don't lose". It's dire, it makes us boring and frustrating to watch, it makes the team unable to play football.

Adding this again, but - getting us breathing space while he, himself, doesn't ever play any kind of advantage for us is this meme:
View attachment 248005
But then blaming points deductions or saying we had superior xG.

No subs, no proactive anything, no plan B, no decision to go for it when we can, no plan of attack other than "hoof" - that's not on the players, as limited as they apparently are I'm 100000% sure they can pass the ball if he wasn't shouting to go long all game every game. We've played better and more effective football with worse players, that's on the manager. And by better I don't mean Barcelona, I mean just adequate gameplan football - we did it earlier, when we got those 4 wins, but teams figured and sussed us out and we immediately [Poor language removed] the bed and don't know how to react. Been this way since the last of those wins in December.

Hey I'm not going to argue with anyone that the football isn't great etc. I know it's not, I'd have just given anything to have a nice, boring season of mid-table obscurity. If we achieve that and we're still playing poorly with no sign of improvement next season, then I'd be more inclined to start asking more questions.

Even without the points deduction we'd be in 13th place equal with the mighty Bournemouth and 4 points behind fulham playing the worst football in the league. He's lucky some are easily pleased.
I'm far from pleased with the football apart from 2-3 games this season, but would say it's still better than Burnley or Sheffield to watch. 13th overall would not be underachieving or overachieving, just realistic.

This is all short term.

There's no such thing as a bad win/3pts
or...
Some say we played quite well yet lost to West Ham

Make your minds up.

my POV; I'll take 4 poor hoof ball wins...in fact 4 bad wins won any way what so ever - wrap them up right now ta.

13th with a worse squad than has just escaped relegation for the last 2 seasons is overachieving IMO.

I think hes done an ok job, all things considered, but I also think hes hamstringing himself by being very passive during games. I cant remember a single time he made an early sub to change up whats going on on the pitch - and thats a problem. I acknowledge he doesnt have the deepest bench to lean on, but still. He wont get the tactics correct in every game, so making a change IF the tactics are wrong can be the difference between winning and losing.

We haven't won a league game in almost three months, but oh he's doing such a great job in tough circumstances ain't he!🤣