The Financial Landscape of English Football

nsno-chris

Player Valuation: £90m
*puts on serious cap

I don’t want this discussion into turn a PSR, elite club chat to overrun that thread. But what would people see as fair and just to regulate the competition.

With our situation, Forest and now Villa who are posting £120m losses, how can a team compete?

There is a lot of calls for salary caps, or do people just say open the books and let clubs do what they want, and spend however they see fit.

*puts on serious cap

I don’t want this discussion into turn a PSR, elite club chat to overrun that thread. But what would people see as fair and just to regulate the competition.

With our situation, Forest and now Villa who are posting £120m losses, how can a team compete?

There is a lot of calls for salary caps, or do people just say open the books and let clubs do what they want, and spend however they see fit.
If this had been the case, we would have already gone bust.

About sums up the landscape.

Edvard_Munch_-_The_Scream_-_Google_Art_Project.jpeg

*puts on serious cap

A salary cap as a percentage of a clubs revenue would be a good idea. It would mean clubs only being able to offer wages that they should be able to afford to pay after other expenses have been paid. Clubs that are making good commercial decisions get the reward to pay bigger wages.

Someone mentioned the NBA model a couple days ago. There's a salary cap but you are more than welcome to go by it, you just have like a 40% penalty for every dollar you go over. So let's say the cap is £200m in wages, if a club wants to spend £300m they can but they have a penalty of £40m on top. Give that money to the pyramid.

Someone mentioned the NBA model a couple days ago. There's a salary cap but you are more than welcome to go by it, you just have like a 40% penalty for every dollar you go over. So let's say the cap is £200m in wages, if a club wants to spend £300m they can but they have a penalty of £40m on top. Give that money to the pyramid.
Personally, for me I’d like to the introduction of a spending cap. Each club has the same amount of money to spend on players, transfers, wages, agent fees etc (say £300m)

If a clubs revenue does not equal the spend, then the owner, if they wish can pump money into the club to cover the difference. If the owner doesn’t, then they operate within their budget/revenue generation.

Profits on revenue vs income can go back into the club (u23, woman’s team etc). And any breach of up to £10m over would result in a transfer ban for 1 window

Whether your Luton or City, £300m is your limit

Owners can't load clubs with debt

Maximum overall wage spend on the registered 25 man squad irrespective of turnover, say £180M per year.

Wages can't account for more than 80% of turnover.

Even the richest club in the world would have the same constraints as any team allowed to spend the full amount.

Scab 6 less likely to hoard all the best talent.

Only one way to equalise everything. Salary cap and spend cap, as one. Every single team are restricted to a maximum spend including wages. Developed player wages dont count towards the cap. Strict rules around 'developed' as well. Price caps on tickets, home and away. Minimum of 25% of clubs profits MUST be used on community projects driven by local need or on infrastructure.

It'll never happen though. We'll never get the game back out of the hands of the capitalist pigs.