2023/24 Youssef Chermiti

Dyche himself has said he's a player to develop for the long term and not one that is expected to make an instant impact, so don't really understand why people are wetting their pants about him already

….19 is plenty old enough to be forcing your way into the team, especially when there’s little in front of him. This is a lad we’re investing €15m in so you’d at least expect him to be impressing and getting more game time. DCL was forcing his way into the team at 19, a £1m signing from Sheffield Utd academy.

How long do you wait before a youngster shows signs he’s the real deal? I have no idea but I’d be wanting to see some signs he’s a shrewd investment. It’s a great opportunity for him to grasp now.

If he’s highly rated then it’d be interesting how much we’d get for him now.

Last edited:

….19 is plenty old enough to be forcing your way into the team, especially when there’s little in front of him. This is a lad we’re investing €15m in so you’d at least expect him to be impressing and getting more game time. DCL was forcing his way into the team at 19, a £1m signing from Sheffield Utd academy.

How long do you wait before a youngster shows signs he’s the real deal? I have no idea but I’d be wanting to see some signs he’s a shrewd investment. It’s a great opportunity for him to grasp now.

Transfermarkt says EUR 9m

Like I said, the manager has stated that he’s a long term prospect and is only expected to play a support role this season, which is what he’s done. Yes DCL was 19 when he broke into our team but their circumstances are completely different so I don’t think that is a stick to beat Chermiti with

Like I said, the manager has stated that he’s a long term prospect and is only expected to play a support role this season, which is what he’s done. Yes DCL was 19 when he broke into our team but their circumstances are completely different so I don’t think that is a stick to beat Chermiti with

….not beating him with a stick, Billy, just looking for signs that this is a good piece of business by Thelwell.

I watched DCL in an U21 game after he signed and posted on here that he would be in the first team before the end of the year and he was. You could see he was the real deal & reports suggested he was a handful for experienced defenders in training.

I don’t think Chermiti has played a ‘supporting role’ this season. There’s very little in front of him yet he’s not pushing the door down for more game time. Somebody posted he was largely anonymous in this weeks U21 game, even though he scored a penalty and one from 10yds that the keeper fluffed. I genuinely want him to be good but we shouldn’t be making his age an excuse for him not making an impact.

We can’t afford to be continually wasting money trying to find an effective striking option.

There’s a good article on Chermiti in the Echo .
“ Youssef Chermiti is taking on extra training drills in a bid to provide competition to frontline Everton strikers Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Beto.
Coaches at Finch Farm have been pleased with the efforts of the teenager, who they acknowledge is undertaking a development programme influenced by the club’s tough circumstances.”

Also says he’d likely have been loaned out for experience if our finances had been better , but we need him for the 1st team.

It’s rather sad in a way for any youngster at Everton. People don’t bother to watch the u21s to form an opinion , don’t bother reading what the Club are saying about how they are developing them , just trot out the same “ I saw him him coming on for 5 mins didn’t do anything , he cost us 12 mill euros , he’s 19 should have made it by now, he’s crap , get rid”.

There’s a good article on Chermiti in the Echo .
“ Youssef Chermiti is taking on extra training drills in a bid to provide competition to frontline Everton strikers Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Beto.
Coaches at Finch Farm have been pleased with the efforts of the teenager, who they acknowledge is undertaking a development programme influenced by the club’s tough circumstances.”

Also says he’d likely have been loaned out for experience if our finances had been better , but we need him for the 1st team.

It’s rather sad in a way for any youngster at Everton. People don’t bother to watch the u21s to form an opinion , don’t bother reading what the Club are saying about how they are developing them , just trot out the same “ I saw him him coming on for 5 mins didn’t do anything , he cost us 12 mill euros , he’s 19 should have made it by now, he’s crap , get rid”.
The issue is the money. If we want to buy youngsters and develop them it needs to be for £1 million or £2 million. That way you can buy a few, some will work some won't.

The issue is the money. If we want to buy youngsters and develop them it needs to be for £1 million or £2 million. That way you can buy a few, some will work some won't.
I agree with most of that. . Not having Money is our biggest problem, selling Ishe Samuels-Smith for £4 mill was a sign of that, appalling really. We do buy youngsters in the £1 mill range, Branthwaite, Okoronkwo both less than £1 mill recently, plus we’ve signed 19 year old forward Kingsford Boakye on a free transfer. I’d like to see more in this range, but it’s a difficult pool to fish in with the likes of City, Chelsea, RS etc spending money to hoover up the best talent.
I was surprised we paid €12 mill for Chermiti, but the deal of paying next season seems to be the key factor. I like the idea that even in our most desperate times we’re thinking about the future and going for talented youngsters. Whether it pays off I don’t know, the difference seems to be that I’m prepared to give Chermiti a chance to prove himself.

Agreed. But I wonder how different it would be if we weren’t fighting relegation?!
I reckon it’s a bit of a vicious circle all the time you’re scrapping at the bottom end of the table!