2023/24 Neal Maupay

He's not great. He's not terrible. We paid buttons for him because of his contract - £15m for a 25 year old - a player with proven credentials - topping the championship table for goals and a 1 in 4 premier league ratio at the right age with sell on potential. Compare that to £45m Beto and Chermiti. I never felt we'd lose money on him which was/is a big priority for Everton.

The clue is he's scored goals to a good level at every team besides us.

Decent managers in Potter and Frank rate him.

But we did what Moshiri's Everton who make a 50/50 call on Bielsa or Dyche have been experts in. We set him up to fail.

Anyone who ever thought he could play upfront in an Everton team on his tod were always miles off. He then becoming a lightning rod/scapegoat. A player in a setup he's never suited to, devoid of confidence and being slated by fans.

I hoped he'd be a useful squad player who could play off/in around Calvert-Lewin - an irritant who'd create some space and contribute 8+ league goals as he had every season but that was never the case.

Said he'd outscore Beto when we loaned him out, and it looks like he's going to do the same with Calvert-Lewin too. Not ideal for a relegation rival.

When brentford played City the other week at home thats exactly how they played. They had 20% of the ball when their first attack..maupay scored. Safe to say he would have missed that at Goodison.
Maybe he's just more at home at brentford.

Maybe so, but most teams play that way against City and let's be honest, Brighton play much more attacking and attractive football than us. Much more cohesive stuff that leads to better chances created and not living off scraps. Btw not defending Maupay at all, just another bad signing made by us.

Maybe so, but most teams play that way against City and let's be honest, Brighton play much more attacking and attractive football than us. Much more cohesive stuff that leads to better chances created and not living off scraps. Btw not defending Maupay at all, just another bad signing made by us.

I think over the past few years they've easly proved they are a better side over a season. Boring old cliche now but they buy better. They bought maupay with a way in mind how they play. Like so many everton signings. We didnt.

He's not great. He's not terrible. We paid buttons for him because of his contract - £15m for a 25 year old - a player with proven credentials - topping the championship table for goals and a 1 in 4 premier league ratio at the right age with sell on potential. Compare that to £45m Beto and Chermiti. I never felt we'd lose money on him which was/is a big priority for Everton.

The clue is he's scored goals to a good level at every team besides us.

Decent managers in Potter and Frank rate him.

But we did what Moshiri's Everton who make a 50/50 call on Bielsa or Dyche have been experts in. We set him up to fail.

Anyone who ever thought he could play upfront in an Everton team on his tod were always miles off. He then becoming a lightning rod/scapegoat. A player in a setup he's never suited to, devoid of confidence and being slated by fans.

I hoped he'd be a useful squad player who could play off/in around Calvert-Lewin - an irritant who'd create some space and contribute 8+ league goals as he had every season but that was never the case.

Said he'd outscore Beto when we loaned him out, and it looks like he's going to do the same with Calvert-Lewin too. Not ideal for a relegation rival.
Pretty much this.

We needed a lone striker to lead the line, the board signed Maupay instead.
Completely pointless signing. Wasn’t what we needed, didn’t fit the system we played. Manager had no idea what to do with him, not the players fault, or the team for that matter.
I imagine some agents got payed well.
Not really a surprise he’s scoring when he’s back in a team set up for him to play well.

Maupay in the right envoirnment is decent.... not great but decent.
We have zero creativity in the team and last season he was asked to play as a lone striker in a team that was not creating chances and he was totally unable to cope.

The successful loan with Brentford should mean that we will get all or most of our money back which would be a great result for us.

He seems to be going out of his way to make sure he isn't brought back to Everton and I hope he realises that Evertonians want him back even less than he wants to come.
He seems to be a nasty piece of goods with a somewhat inflated opinion of his worth,.

obviously we didn't use him correctly but people seem to forgetting he missed loads of sitters for us too. our strikers are just cursed at the minute
He was literally missing from 2 yards out and gave the ball away every single time.

I thought he looked a well coached player when he arrived, even then he was missing any chances that came his. Add to that he comes across as a complete bellend and the best thing for all is we can get a few quid for him

We needed a lone striker to lead the line, the board signed Maupay instead.
Completely pointless signing. Wasn’t what we needed, didn’t fit the system we played. Manager had no idea what to do with him, not the players fault, or the team for that matter.
I imagine some agents got payed well.
Not really a surprise he’s scoring when he’s back in a team set up for him to play well.

….not sure it’s that simple as he’s now displaying basic forward play that was missing when he played for us. That’s nothing to do with tactics or formation, he was just dreadful.

What I noticed last summer was comments from teammates that Maupay had got himself significantly fitter than he’d been last season. That suggests to me, his form with us was more about professionalism, attitude and application.

He was is a secondary striker what we played up front in his own with no service, and out on the left (from what I can remember).
Never given a chance, wasn’t wanted by the manager, and wasn’t useful to the team.