2023/24 Beto

Get off the lads back ffs, sick of hammering players 5 minutes after they arrive.

Haaland would look bang average with the absolute scraps we would feed him and the tactical play we are employing; Betos the same as DCL, and it’s no wonder they don’t look like scoring any time soon - they need through balls and crosses into the box and we do neither, just hoof it up to them while their backs are to goal.

Indeed.

And confidence starts to drop as the games go without goals and fans get on their back - Maupay spoke of it.

We don't half need a midfielder who can pass a ball forward. There's no nous/creativity in this side.

That said, I'd be playing Calvert-Lewin every single time before Beto. Beto at best looks like a useful battering ram late on.

Indeed.

And confidence starts to drop as the games go without goals and fans get on their back - Maupay spoke of it.

We don't half need a midfielder who can pass a ball forward. There's no nous/creativity in this side.

That said, I'd be playing Calvert-Lewin every single time before Beto. Beto at best looks like a useful battering ram late on.
Totally agree with this, our midfield have been allergic to the football since James, he was the last proper bit of class we had in midfield, totally affecting and dictating how we played.

I’ve been very disappointed in how we play our wingers as well, there’s no real width or urgency, and they seem to ignore any overlapping runs til it’s too late.

Beto will score goals in the right system, we need more of the Newcastle set up for that to happen, but dyche seems hamstrung (no pun intended) when doucure is missing.

Maybe get him in the u23s and give him a month of consecutive starts, bringing off him at 60 minutes, to prove that he's too good to be playing at that level. I don't think he's stand out amongst the u23s though sadly.

Give him time. Look at Mykolenko for example.
If we have to wait 2 years for him to get to Mykolenkos level he's been a failure its not like Mykolenko is class he's just better than he was which isn't hard because he was awful for ages! Its too early to say he's no good but its stupid saying just play him more aswell because when he plays he doesn't look up to it. He needs to improve and he's not just going to get given 10 games of looking like a lost puppy he needs to show he deserves it.

Easy to forget but it can take foreign players a year to settle - not all of course, but some. Hence the bias towards PL players.

No doubt he was bought because of the payment structure and we aren't splashing out on another striker anytime soon.

It's the Everton way.

I look back fondly at the pelters McNeil was getting for his first 15 or so games.

Ended up bing arguably our most important player last season.

It never ceases to amaze me how many Evertonians make quick judgements on potential failure then almost will that failure to be cemented so they can feel like a proper football expert.

We laugh about our neighbours weird/cultish behaviour but they don't have a monopoly on weird in the city.
Just hope McNeils 5 months is not the 6 months we got of DCL under Ancelotti as hes been woeful for the majority of the season but hes not been the only one.

Just hope McNeils 5 months is not the 6 months we got of DCL under Ancelotti as hes been woeful for the majority of the season but hes not been the only one.
It's a fair point.

But when you consider he started the season injured and has hardly had a breather since it's understandable he has t hit the heights.

When you factor in his partner has been incredibly sick over the past year its amazing he's performed at all. The very fact we've had to rely on him due to insane squad building isn't the players fault.

It's the Everton way.

I look back fondly at the pelters McNeil was getting for his first 15 or so games.

Ended up bing arguably our most important player last season.

It never ceases to amaze me how many Evertonians make quick judgements on potential failure then almost will that failure to be cemented so they can feel like a proper football expert.

We laugh about our neighbours weird/cultish behaviour but they don't have a monopoly on weird in the city.
But McNeil has been poor again recently so since he came he's probably had more bad games than good so who was right? For every one player we can name who people thought was awful and proved us wrong theres about 10 who looked awful and were awful I'm not saying Beto will turn out that way but its not people wanting to be right its just people saying what they see.