January transfer window 2024

Ok, so , why are we one of if the not worst team in the league at keeping the ball in the oppositions half?

He , docs, DCL and McNeil are terrible in possession and they all give possession away easily.

If we want to get better we have to change our players.

if we don’t then we will stay the same .

He is not our player and I wouldn’t be spending 20m on him.

Where does the 20m come from?

How much do you think he would cost?

If he is a decent prem player , he’s going to cost at least that, and if he’s going to cost
10m then surely other teams would be in for him?

Or…. He’s not actually that good?

Which one is it?

Surely that depends on what the team wants to do?

As we are now we concede possession, play direct for the counter, high press and win the ball higher up the field.

As for "worst at keeping the ball in the opposition half" we're 17th for it and 18th overall possession.

But that's how we're set up and it's effective.
We are then currently 10th for touches in the attacking 3rd, xG, shots, 7th for big chances missed.

Think your hang up on "possession" overlooks how the team sets up. I personally think it's more down to quality of execution and goals.

We're very much similar to West Ham in every stat who are currently 6th. Mainly due to their execution and having more quality in front of goal.

We may very well end up not signing anyone (like last January) but that’s not guaranteed to be the case. It will be no massive surprise if we do sign someone.

Everton have been ‘skint’ before, and we have signed players before. Even last January, we were going to bring Danjuma in until he changed his mind at the last minute.

Or … maybe you sign players that have good basic skills and have potential .

Opening the way to actually make a profit to help fund future recruitment.

I’d rather spend 25m on a younger player than spend 20 on someone that we know isn’t good enough and is already in his peak years and will most likely fetch a smaller sell on fee than we signed him for.

Spending 20m on average players of that age , like bolasie , Morgan and co are the reason we are in the mess we are in right now.

We have a group of players that struggle to effect games from an attacking point of view.

DCL
McNeil
Onnana
Harrison
Even Beto

All but one contracts … why add another ?

McNeil is young and should improve , Harrison is at his peak . I’d rather sign the next eze, olise typr like palace did .

I'll go back to my previous point....it's all down deal structures and options. We have little.

Finding the new Olise and Eze (who's 25 btw) is fine...but on their comparison cost towards £30mill each.

The reality is previously we bought poorly with no structure. That has nothing to do with age.

We need to stay in the league. If Dyche and Thelwell think Harrison is the option to do that within the structure then that's a correct decision.

Goes round in circles every transfer window where anyone over 25 is deemed worthless.

Our average squad age is the same as Man City's btw (26).