2022/23 Michael Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Keane (c) tonight. We’ve missed his leadership skills, winning mentality and sheer confidence he espouses.

In all seriousness though it’ll be interesting to see if he slots in at the back or if Lampard prefers one of Coleman / Myko there instead. If he’s on the bench tonight then it’s pretty clear that he’s not fancied at all.

…I think he has a bit of ego, I recall him contacting Southgate when left out of an England squad so I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s been knocking on Lampard’s door.

Playing on that ego might be our best route to moving him on in January.

Would be a bit of a personality cocktail having and ego and being the most timid centre half of all time.

…I think he has a bit of ego, I recall him contacting Southgate when left out of an England squad so I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s been knocking on Lampard’s door.

He'll be moved on in January if our injury situation has improved. If we are still going to have 2 or 3 out then he should stay.

You'll have much more of a feel for player issues than I, mate, but there are two ways of looking at the door knocking thing. True, a big ego might knock to say, "What the hell do you think you're doing, leaving me out???? I'm miles the best centre back you've got, and you pick those two clowns ahead of me!!!".

Alternatively, rather than just carry on being left out, a less egotistical player might just want to ask, "Have I been dropped because I've got worse, or others have got better? In either case, could you please let me know where I need to improve to get back in the side?". No ego in that instance, really, and possibly less than there ought to be at elite level.

You'll have much more of a feel for player issues than I, mate, but there are two ways of looking at the door knocking thing. True, a big ego might knock to say, "What the hell do you think you're doing, leaving me out???? I'm miles the best centre back you've got, and you pick those two clowns ahead of me!!!".

Alternatively, rather than just carry on being left out, a less egotistical player might just want to ask, "Have I been dropped because I've got worse, or others have got better? In either case, could you please let me know where I need to improve to get back in the side?". No ego in that instance, really, and possibly less than there ought to be at elite level.

….good point. I think it’s human nature that players feel they should be playing. You often look at players on the substitutes bench chatting away & it’s not hard to imagine the subject matter.

Some are like a spoiled kid, others will roll their sleeve up and tell the manager they will earn their place back.

Look at Tom Davies on Saturday, the ‘Tunnel Access‘ video was very revealing that he had his match day face on. Very focused, very determined on the job ahead. A good professional, sick at being substituted but genuine warmth for Gueye replacing him.

They are all different individuals, we can only guess at how they react.

Status
Not open for further replies.