2022/23 Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
did OK. should have slotted that sitter. supposedly it his downfall as a striker which worries me.
He should have buried that chance, but when you consider his lack of match fitness I thought he played well. We looked much better with a forward.

It was nice to see movement, diagonal runs, defenders being harried and someone actually happy to get involved. A solid debut for us!

He should have buried that chance, but when you consider his lack of match fitness I thought he played well. We looked much better with a forward.

It was nice to see movement, diagonal runs, defenders being harried and someone actually happy to get involved. A solid debut for us!
Thing is we know if he plays 30-35 games he'll get 8-10 goals.

As a substitute or back up, he will cause the defenders problems and hassle all game.

He's the sort of striker who fits well in a team rather than needing a team built around him. Really good back up in my opinion.

If he played with a big target man alongside him he'd thrive. I do wonder how we'll get the best out of this lad on the basis of watching that game.

Maybe a Mersyside Derby is not the one to judge him on, but the game passed him by.

But he can't finish. People using his lack of fitness as a reason for missing from 8 yards. Relax and pass it in the corner.
Lacked composure for sure. He wasn't at the races generally.

Looking at this more positively today though: he was central to our two best chances...the one that fell to him (and you have to be there to score) and the ball for Coady to score.

IMO though we cant play him as part of a three on the basis of that...not with Gray and Gordon anyway. If we played Calvert-Lewin...in the event he actually plays again...then he'd be in business here.

That's just early observations like.

If he played with a big target man alongside him he'd thrive. I do wonder how we'll get the best out of this lad on the basis of watching that game.

Maybe a Mersyside Derby is not the one to judge him on, but the game passed him by.
Started well

He'll take time to get up to speed

It would be interesting to know why we signed him
Is he just a short term replacement for DCL as Rondon is not good enough
Or was he signed as a future to play alongside DCL?
Or is he destined to play from the bench to replace DCL
Has Frank revealed the strategy?
I trust there is a long term rationale...

With five substitutes, it really is a squad game. There will be opportunities to play all sorts of combinations at different stages of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.