Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
A51B584A-7AC8-4595-B9A8-E39F1794D5DB.jpeg

I could understand it in the case of Broja, if Dominic Calvert-Lewin had stayed fit and he was the priority target for a versatile forward who would primarily be rotation (like Maupay is).

Who knows, maybe we still get Broja, but it doesn't solve Everton's main issue IMO, which is creating quality chances on a consistent basis.

A lot of emphasis is going to be on Iwobi to do that now.

The striker problem the club has is a difficult one - I think they rate Simms (and they are correct to do that) and don't want to put a roadblock in his way for the next few seasons, so they've gone after players that could complement him / DCL instead.

I think it is the right decision in the long term, though it is risky this season if DCL has a lot of injuries.

The striker problem the club has is a difficult one - I think they rate Simms (and they are correct to do that) and don't want to put a roadblock in his way for the next few seasons, so they've gone after players that could complement him / Dominic Calvert-Lewin instead.

I think it is the right decision in the long term, though it is risky this season if Dominic Calvert-Lewin has a lot of injuries.
You are insane if you honestly think Simms is rated highly at this club.

The striker problem the club has is a difficult one - I think they rate Simms (and they are correct to do that) and don't want to put a roadblock in his way for the next few seasons, so they've gone after players that could complement him / Dominic Calvert-Lewin instead.

I think it is the right decision in the long term, though it is risky this season if Dominic Calvert-Lewin has a lot of injuries.
Simms is never going to make it at top flight level. This summer was the year to sell him and the year to properly replace Calvert-Lewin.

If they rated him then there is no way they would have loaned him out and left the manager with Rondon

Agreed

Until we stop leaving crucial business until deadline day then we are always going to be an amateurish club. Thelwell no better than those before him. A gaping hole in the squad and a manager left with not much chance.
Again: we literally did not have the money to make real offers until now. Dump two million pounds in Gomes' wages, and resolve an 8-10 million pound Gueye standoff as fully in our favor as possible, and suddenly we have enough to handle this year's amortization on a permanent signing and pay the wages, or pay a loan fee and wages.

There were two ways to get there otherwise: go into the winter window forced to sell a player, which doesn't work because we want to keep the ones we can actually sell, or get the board to agree to take pay cuts to accommodate the signing - which isn't happening.

They are gambling again on Dominic Calvert-Lewin getting fit and staying fit. That's naive and an unnecessary risk in my opinion, but time will tell.
Well no as we have signed Maupay now.

It's why we can't really spend £20m, if that's what Blackburn want, on a striker that would be 3rd choice. Ben Brereton Díaz is decent, but he's a forward who can also play from the left, but we have Gordon and Gray who play left side as whatever system Lampard wants to play, he likes players there who can create (in theory, if not practice), not just 3 out and out forwards.

IMO what we're really lacking is that quality that Richarlison gave us. Chukuweze, Gakpo - they'd have provided some of that. Creative, pace, goal threats, actual step up in quality. It was always going to be hard though with the funds, but leaving it so late has not helped. I'm happy with the Garner deal, but feel that's perhaps money that could have been better spent on this type of player that the forward line desperately lacks.

I'm not arsed who the striker is - DCL, Maupay or bloody Rondon. If we've got McNeil, Gordon and Gray creating the chances for them, then we won't score enough.

All this being said, if they manage to pull a move for Broja out of the hat I do think that's a player who would give some of that versatility, but again not creative as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.