2022/23 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will be a long-term gem
£10m.

He is already worth £20m.

Great business, love what I saw tonight - that was on a different level to what he has done so far.

Loved in the first half when he tracked back and stopped an overlapping run - he proper celebrated. He is invested, and knows that defensively he needs to perform and how important it is.

Hasnt been asked to defend as much as a regular fullback, but in this game he was great defensively, all over it and made a lot of key plays. Obviously a long way to go for him, but if all 20 year olds who came in progressed as well as he has so far we would be in a much better spot. Scary to think of what itll do to Davek if he continues to prove he can be quite good defensively as well as in the attack.

…ironic he was more threatening in the top third playing as a conventional RB.

Those of us who highlighted we were getting a top young player aren’t surprised, last night he nullified genuine threat on his flank and worked well with the tireless McNeil.

i go on about defenders with ‘powers of recovery’ & he demonstrated that in the 2nd half when the attacker got beyond him but he got back to cut out a cross from a dangerous position.

Plenty of ignorant comments from a poster on here says more about him than this young man.

Here are some quotes from what I said about him on this forum:

"Patterson is well known for his commitment and strength in the tackle. No one in Scotland has ever considered Nathan a winger and has always played right back or wing back. His biggest attributes are his mentality and aggression - basically a right sided Kieran Tierney.

Patterson relishes the defensive side of the game. davek is describing a completely different player from what I watched the last years. I can only assume he hasn't seen him play much."

"I'd say Hickey and Robbo don't have the natural defensive instincts that Tierney and Patterson have. Robbo at Dundee United was a lot more attacking and still got caught out in Jackie Mcnamara's side, playing alongside Armstrong. Souttar, Gould helped him. Robbo majorly improved defensively later on under Bruce and took it to the next level under Klopp.

Patterson and Tierney have a fearless defensive streak that you can't teach. It's how you're brought up in Scotland. The people of Merseyside will resonate with Patterson."

"folk on here talking about loaning a player like Patterson out to lower league English sides etc... is wild to anyone that has a bit of respect for other football nations"

"Gerrard always played Tavernier higher and Patterson more defensive and Steve Clarke has always trusted him at RB and RWB also"

"He has the physicality and mental edge to become a superb defender for Everton FC."

davek on the other hand:

he is weak
he is frail
he should be loaned to league one or championship
A winger not a defender
can't play as a right back
Has to play high up the pitch which crowds out Gordon
Can't handle defensive duties
Everton must avoid playing a back 4 with him in team
No evidence to suggest he can cut it in EPL
Gets caught up the pitch and "doesn't try to get back"

The lad is only 20 and isn't the finished article, but you can decide from the above who has watched his full career and who is bluffing their way through this forum with utter nonsense about a young man embarking on a career with the Toffees.

Last edited:

Here are some quotes from what I said about him on this forum:

"Patterson is well known for his commitment and strength in the tackle. No one in Scotland has ever considered Nathan a winger and has always played right back or wing back. His biggest attributes are his mentality and aggression - basically a right sided Kieran Tierney.

Patterson relishes the defensive side of the game. davek is describing a completely different player from what I watched the last years. I can only assume he hasn't seen him play much."

"I'd say Hickey and Robbo don't have the natural defensive instincts that Tierney and Patterson have. Robbo at Dundee United was a lot more attacking and still got caught out in Jackie Mcnamara's side, playing alongside Armstrong. Souttar, Gould helped him. Robbo majorly improved defensively later on under Bruce and took it to the next level under Klopp.

Patterson and Tierney have a fearless defensive streak that you can't teach. It's how you're brought up in Scotland. The people of Merseyside will resonate with Patterson."

"folk on here talking about loaning a player like Patterson out to lower league English sides etc... is wild to anyone that has a bit of respect for other football nations"

"Gerrard always played Tavernier higher and Patterson more defensive and Steve Clarke has always trusted him at RB and RWB also"

"He has the physicality and mental edge to become a superb defender for Everton FC."

davek on the other hand:

he is weak
he is frail
he should be loaned to league one or championship
A winger not a defender
can't play as a right back
Has to play high up the pitch which crowds out Gordon
Can't handle defensive duties
Everton must avoid playing a back 4 with him in team
No evidence to suggest he can cut it in EPL
Gets caught up the pitch and "doesn't try to get back"

The lad is only 20 and isn't the finished article, but you can decide from the above who has watched his full career and who is bluffing their way through this forum with utter nonsense about a young man embarking on a career with the Toffees.

You need to tag the chump in mate.

@davek

You also missed out the fact, that he looks very dapper, in a bowler hat and sash.

Plus he plays a mean flute.

Not been overly impressed with Nathan Patterson if I'm honest, but I felt he had a decent game yesterday against Leeds United (got my MotM). Looks like he starting to bed in more and more now.
You not allowed to say that.

Rangers fan here, not read the full thread but on this page it seems everyone isn't convinced of him.

I mean this with the greatest respect but he will end up at better side than yourselfs in the future. I know the standard is way below what he's up against in the epl. Most of our league is probably bottom end championship so I don't get carried away to much when players look good against them. However, he came into a very good rangers side and didn't look out of place one bit, he started against lyon away in a 2-2 draw in Europe and it was if he was having a kick about down the park with his mates. For his age the composure he showed you would have thought he was a seasoned pro.

I actually think we should have sold tav (our captain) to accommodate patterson and kept him for a few years before he moved on to a better league. He is still learning so there will be mistakes at times, the problem now is he's in a league where if you make a mistake he's playing against real quality that hel get punished for it, also in the epl very few teams of being able to carry someone through games while they learn. Up here mistakes aren't punished nowhere near as much so mistakes made by players get papered over a bit.

When KT left celtic for arsenal a few up here said hel get found out down there, I always said hel hold his own down there, IMHO patterson will go on to be better than him.

Hasnt been asked to defend as much as a regular fullback, but in this game he was great defensively, all over it and made a lot of key plays. Obviously a long way to go for him, but if all 20 year olds who came in progressed as well as he has so far we would be in a much better spot. Scary to think of what itll do to Davek if he continues to prove he can be quite good defensively as well as in the attack.
He'll get credit for it. But let's see him do it first eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.