2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if they don’t come back, there isn’t another club stupid enough to bid 45 million for Gordon and the opportunity to cash in will have been wasted.
The club don't want to sell him. They don't have a financial need to like they did with Richarlison, so they can demand what their valuation is, which is apparently £50m. Either Chelsea pay it or we keep the player the manager and DoF want to keep.

Wolves could have accepted our £10m up front and £25m total for MGW but have ended up getting a deal that could rise to £42m.

One of the worst.

McNeil was worse. Whoever Norwich played wide left was worse. That's about it I think.

Oh maybe El Yenoussi or whoever Saints use.
It depends what you're judging on.

If you go on his end product, then certainly. He should create better chances than he does.

If you go on the fact he was used in three different positions last season alone, having been initially earmarked for a loan move, and came into a God awful team that ended up nearly getting relegated playing under a dreadful manager in Benitez and one who is very, very raw to say the least in Lampard, in a squad that could hardly stay fit etc etc, then he did alright all things considered.

I've said before, I think we relied on him way too much and the fact we relied on him so much to be our creative spark is one of the reasons why we struggled. That's not on him though, it was his breakthrough season and his best form definitely came around December-March when he was up to speed but not burned out. By the end of the season he was absolutely shattered and he shouldn't have been used as much as he was, but Lampard didn't trust anyone else.

He's been poor in the first two games, stupidly played out of position at striker, but he's still drawing big interest. So let's see.

1st July was six weeks ago. Still no striker, what's the excuse for that?
There isn't one.

They tried to get one in, failed miserably and thought they'd let it run through August for a better deal to become available, for a Broja for example, who is or was clearly their big target, because they had DCL looking fit and sharp. So they strengthened other blatant needs in the squad in the meantime, and are still in the process of doing that.

DCL got injured and they got egg in their face. It's all Everton's own making. But you have to be able to see the wood for the trees.

The club don't want to sell him. They don't have a financial need to like they did with Richarlison, so they can demand what their valuation is, which is apparently £50m. Either Chelsea pay it or we keep the player the manager and DoF want to keep.

Wolves could have accepted our £10m up front and £25m total for MGW but have ended up getting a deal that could rise to £42m.
And we're getting an offer that is just worth 45m! No rising needed!

There isn't one.

They tried to get one in, failed miserably and thought they'd let it run through August for a better deal to become available, for a Broja for example, who is or was clearly their big target, because they had DCL looking fit and sharp. So they strengthened other blatant needs in the squad in the meantime, and are still in the process of doing that.

DCL got injured and they got egg in their face. It's all Everton's own making. But you have to be able to see the wood for the trees.
DCL has been injured for two weeks now and still they do nothing. It's gross negligence.

This is actually fun. There's a thread titled "do we have the worst attack in the league?" where most everyone agrees we at least are in the conversation but when you say an individual player from said attack is one of the worst that's blasphemous.
I said after the Villa game:
"Gray, Gordon, McNeil - These three cannot score a goal between them and struggled to hold the ball. They are deeply concerning me. Could sell them all and we wouldn't miss them. To say they need to improve would be a huge understatement."

Nobody disagreed with me then. I don't know if people have already forgotten that game a few days on but suddenly I'm seeing so much romanticisation about Gordon that people aren't looking at this potential sale objectively.

It depends what you're judging on.

If you go on his end product, then certainly. He should create better chances than he does.

If you go on the fact he was used in three different positions last season alone, having been initially earmarked for a loan move, and came into a God awful team that ended up nearly getting relegated playing under a dreadful manager in Benitez and one who is very, very raw to say the least in Lampard, in a squad that could hardly stay fit etc etc, then he did alright all things considered.

I've said before, I think we relied on him way too much and the fact we relied on him so much to be our creative spark is one of the reasons why we struggled. That's not on him though, it was his breakthrough season and his best form definitely came around December-March when he was up to speed but not burned out. By the end of the season he was absolutely shattered and he shouldn't have been used as much as he was, but Lampard didn't trust anyone else.

He's been poor in the first two games, stupidly played out of position at striker, but he's still drawing big interest. So let's see.
Yes you can make a lot of excuses for sure. Some are valid tbf, but the end point remains the same.

Also separate from that, he ends up shattered in every match. That's a skill for me, managing your energy throughout a 90 minutes. It's why training can only show you so much in this sport. The exertions of a match are hard to replicate.

Yes you can make a lot of excuses for sure. Some are valid tbf, but the end point remains the same.

Also separate from that, he ends up shattered in every match. That's a skill for me, managing your energy throughout a 90 minutes. It's why training can only show you so much in this sport. The exertions of a match are hard to replicate.
They're not excuses, and no the end point does not remain the same.

He isn't one of the worst players in his position in the league. He does have a lot of developing to do. He worked hard over the last year to develop physically, worked hard under Benitez to get in the team and stay in the team and work on the defensive side of his game.

He needs to work on tons, which is why I'd be happy for us to cash in now, but the club have a valuation and I think if they want £50m they have every right to ask it. Clearly it put Spurs and Newcastle off, but it appears Chelsea are very much not put off just yet.

They're not excuses, and no the end point does not remain the same.

He isn't one of the worst players in his position in the league. He does have a lot of developing to do. He worked hard over the last year to develop physically, worked hard under Benitez to get in the team and stay in the team and work on the defensive side of his game.

He needs to work on tons, which is why I'd be happy for us to cash in now, but the club have a valuation and I think if they want £50m they have every right to ask it. Clearly it put Spurs and Newcastle off, but it appears Chelsea are very much not put off just yet.
I really think you should go through and pick out the teams he definitely starts every match for. Bournemouth is one for sure. Forest is a maybe because they don't really use wide players so I guess he's competing with Johnson who might get picked instead. I think he's better than Saints options.

Then you have teams where the players you'd think he'd compete with have actually all been more productive. Brentford, Leeds, even Fulham (yes Bobby Decordova-Reid was more productive his last go around in the PL) so can you actually say that today, as in without factoring in he will improve, that he's clearly better?

The rest of the teams I don't think there is a much of a discussion as their options are clearly better.

Status
Not open for further replies.