2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
And there was me thinking that one of the academy's purposes - that we as a fanbase constantly criticise for it not doing enough of - is to develop players who can be sold for top money so that it can be reinvested in better players.
Perhaps it's preferable for clubs to buy our crap youth products but I'm pretty sure big money only gets offered for the good players.
I may be wrong though

I mean Broja got 6 goals as a striker last year.

Gallacher has 10 goals in 66 games and is a year older.

Would you pay 30m for either? Outside of the Gordon negotiation? I don't know. Can see a case either way really.

I thought Broja got 9 in the league, but thats all comps, hmm.

Im not even massive Broja or Gallaghers fans, but yeah, I would probably pay 30m each for them, but I also wouldnt pay 60m for Gordon.

Would defo prefer a loan of both their lads before I would be spunking dough at them, but thats mainly cos I havent watched either out of a few vids and the odd game where I didnt pay them no real nevermind.

Got to remember that this is exactly the sort of business the likes of Dortmund, Leicester, Leipzeig and Brighton do that all our hipster fans bemoan that we dont do ourselves regularly.

Sell young players for large fees and bring 3-4 players in to strenghen whilst also adding future top young players like Onana who'll be our next big sale down the line.

This is it really.

The paradox of life though, is it's always easier when discussed in the abstract, as something you would do, or something someone else should do. Actually doing it in the here and now is hard.

If we can get more than 42m for Gordon, we should take that, and be grateful of the academy system as AG would be a real success of.

I’d be trying to loan Broja with option to buy but no obligation and signing Gallagher.

That’s would mean that the back line has been Completely revamped , gk is done and with onana and Gallagher and maybe gueye , the midfield has been tranfromed with broja as a new striker with DCL . Would put us in a much better position for this season.

Get some dead wood out and sign a creative wide player or James type and we look like a completely different team from last year…. Which I good

He's got more of a chance to reach his potential at Chelsea than with us. They don't have to rely on him.

We would have to. And with that comes an expectation which has now shot up because he's now being valued as a £40million player.

Anyone saying he's a bad player is wrong. However anyone saying he's worth more than £40million is also wrong.
Agree with almost of all this, but as much as the coaching at Chelsea will be superior to ours and he'll be around better players, he's also going to be sitting on the bench most weeks there instead of playing every game here. That could be a major factor in his thinking.

He's got more of a chance to reach his potential at Chelsea than with us. They don't have to rely on him.

We would have to. And with that comes an expectation which has now shot up because he's now being valued as a £40million player.

Anyone saying he's a bad player is wrong. However anyone saying he's worth more than £40million is also wrong.
I agree. I just think we as a fanbase need to just take it easy. I think there are other things in the background that manifests itself in this fewm at certain players. Myself i rate the lad and i would like to see the club make more signings around the 20 to 22 years of age and create a team that can mature together.

People on here say he's crap yet Chelsea make an opening bid of 40m. Davies comes on and makes a couple of safe passes yesterday and people are shot down for saying the clown shouldn't be near the squad. So strange and worrying. Gordons not a striker anyway so I don't know what Chelsea are on about. It's not his assists or goals for me, it's the way he chases everything that moves down and takes so much pressure off us with his end to end play. Having said that 50m + Broja may be worth a look at.

I thought Broja got 9 in the league, but thats all comps, hmm.

Im not even massive Broja or Gallaghers fans, but yeah, I would probably pay 30m each for them, but I also wouldnt pay 60m for Gordon.

Would defo prefer a loan of both their lads before I would be spunking dough at them, but thats mainly cos I havent watched either out of a few vids and the odd game where I didnt pay them no real nevermind.

I get your point.

I'd have both and am a big fan of both, and honestly would happily swap 1 talented young player for 2.

It's more just why these deals are difficult. Part of the attraction of selling Gordon is they are overpaying. If we also overpay, it is less appealing. However, you have to weight it up to the benefits of FFP.

we've half-replaced Richy. When he went, we needed a winger and a forward. Ideally both in one like he was (Terrier is that type btw) but they're rare and expensive. We've ended up with McNeil to provide the wide player part, but need the striker part.

That's as it stands.

IF we sell Gordon, we need another winger and still need that striker. But it could allow us to get a player like Terrier, who they like a lot but is expensive, and a striker on top of that.

If we don't sell Gordon, which is fine like, then we're only going to be able to get a striker and it may not be the player we really want.

Any club would consider selling a lad of Gordon's current ability (not potential) for £50m, no matter their financial position.

i get what your saying, we’ve needed a striker anyway and still haven’t done that

so im
not confident we would replace gordon to

selling better (our so called) better players

just isn’t justified

£40m is stupid money we wouldn’t be able to refuse, £50m more so.

He tries hard, but he’s still got a lot of work to do, and the position we’re in, we cannot afford to take a gamble on him.

It could massively backfire and he could become a superstar, but for me, there’s still too many questions to be turning down stupid money.

I could see us doing a deal at £40m plus Bats ( perm ) and Gilmour ( loan ).

Of course I'd prefer Broja and Gallagher but I think they are part of Tuchel's plans.

If that enables us to then conclude the Gana deal and get a good wide attacker like Terrier I'd be happy.

Selling Gordon at such a high fee helps enourmously on P&S

Status
Not open for further replies.