Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that's why I'm thinking this is just a connecting-the-dots story. Camara is probably a long term target and someone we've scouted. Would make sense with our need for a DM and Thelwell will be well aware of any RB organization players. I bet they got a scoop that we're interested in him and then jumped to conclusions that it was linked to Gana's deal stalling. My bet is that it would have been him or Onana and we moved for Onana instead.

Camara is highly rated and has a contract until 2025 - I don't see him going for much less than Onana. We shall see.
I guess again it would depend on the structure. I posted something yesterday that I thought Gana for a "cheap" option could end up very expensive: if PSG hold out for, say 8mil and he wants 5mil a year on a 2 year contract suddenly 18m is out the door never to be seen again, on the books at 9mil / year.

In theory paying 25m for Camara over a 5 year contract is 5m / year on the books plus whatever we give in wages- but at 4m a year or less he is the same annual cost as Gana or less. Yes, over a longer commitment but you can sell Camara, you never get a penny back that you spend on Gana. One is an investment, the other pure spend. If we can actually do it then Camara stacks up economically far better.

Thank you MG, but I want Energy Drink boy to tell me he's class so I can write him off

Dunno mate it's very very very rare a bloke whose been on professional books at good clubs like Brighton leaves at 23 having basically done nothing and suddenly becomes very good, it's like if Braithwaite suddenly netted 15 this season on loan - would we really think wow let's start him.
I don't think it's a case of thinking "wow", more a stop-gap cheap signing to give us options until deadline day. I still think we'll have a better chance of getting someone like Broja on loan at the end of the window due to Chelsea not wanting to release him until Auba is signed. It's a gamble worth taking IMO.

I guess again it would depend on the structure. I posted something yesterday that I thought Gana for a "cheap" option could end up very expensive: if PSG hold out for, say 8mil and he wants 5mil a year on a 2 year contract suddenly 18m is out the door never to be seen again, on the books at 9mil / year.

In theory paying 25m for Camara over a 5 year contract is 5m / year on the books plus whatever we give in wages- but at 4m a year or less he is the same annual cost as Gana or less. Yes, over a longer commitment but you can sell Camara, you never get a penny back that you spend on Gana. One is an investment, the other pure spend. If we can actually do it then Camara stacks up economically far better.
Yep very good point. Especially he is pushing for a three year deal or any bonuses up front. With resale value, it's no contest as long as the fee for Camara does not get out of hand.

For reference, Mwepu cost Brighton about £20m from Salzburg, but he had only two years on his deal at the time actually looks like he might have had three years as well, and I don't believe was quite as highly rated. So it's hard to see it being less than £25-30m. But if structured like Onana's deal, maybe we can do it. I'm kind of done making assumptions about our finances this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.