Dave Watson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about the difference between being, say Trevor Steven in 86/87 and Neil Adams the same season. Both got the same medal. But their contributions were far different. So, yeah, I am sure. Just like winning the world cup was different for Hurst, Ball, Moore, Charlton, Wilson than it was for Greaves, Callaghan, Hunter, etc. Here's a reminder of "contribution" that day...Greaves looks delighted.

View attachment 176553

You've still not answered hardly any of my questions anyway. My last one, does winning the golden boot not represent success? I'm still laughing at the idea you think Paul Parker had a more successful football career than Alan Shearer to be honest.
Both good CBs ,
But Degsy shades it.

Obsession with Shearer is interesting.

Both good CBs ,
But Degsy shades it.

Obsession with Shearer is interesting.
No obsession, just a prime example of an excellent player who didn't win much, but had a "very successful" career... a bit like Harry Kane who, to you, isn't as successful a footballer as, say, Cameron Jerome, as you apparently hold so much stock in a 'Carabao Cup winners medal as Substitute for a few minutes' achievements judging by your posts, ahead of loads of England caps, loads of international goals, and numerous golden boots (national and international) etc.

Degsy doesn't shade it, because the facts say he lost his place to Watson, and never got it back and was never going to- as the new guy looked way better and clearly improved the defence. So that's all anyone needs to know about who was best. And, in reality, Degsy only got his chance through injuries to Mark Higgins- the man Rats called his 'ideal partner'... until Dave came along that is.

"Dave Watson IS Everton" (Neville Southall, 1996). ?

I went to his testimonial dinner in London after we had drawn 2-2 at Chelsea. I had a chat with him(and photo taken with him) and he also played with one of my relatives at Liverpool who he knew pretty well.
The game in the day he had a run-in with Vialli who got no change out of Dave all game. In Vialli’s frustration, he lashed out at Dave but he did not flinch and when I asked him did he get a belt,he described it as being “no worse than being attacked by a fly”.
Top bloke and great servant to Everton Football Club as well as being well respected at Norwich where he was Captain before we signed him.

No obsession, just a prime example of an excellent player who didn't win much, but had a "very successful" career... a bit like Harry Kane who, to you, isn't as successful a footballer as, say, Cameron Jerome, as you apparently hold so much stock in a 'Carabao Cup winners medal as Substitute for a few minutes' achievements judging by your posts, ahead of loads of England caps, loads of international goals, and numerous golden boots (national and international) etc.

Degsy doesn't shade it, because the facts say he lost his place to Watson, and never got it back and was never going to- as the new guy looked way better and clearly improved the defence. So that's all anyone needs to know about who was best. And, in reality, Degsy only got his chance through injuries to Mark Higgins- the man Rats called his 'ideal partner'... until Dave came along that is.

"Dave Watson IS Everton" (Neville Southall, 1996). ?
Harry Kane ...what you on about..
This nonsense is catching, obviously.
Degsy does shade it mate.
Football is all about opinions.
Oddly the arguments about Slippy v Frank,Frank wins hands down, because of medals,but that's just my opinion.

I remember he got picked for a League representative team to play against England in Hong Kong…I think it was before a big tournament(96 or 98).
The representative team went ahead and because all of those players were on a big bonus if they won the game against the England team big Dave marshalled the defence so that they would not concede…it was like the Alamo but Dave’s team won the game!

That's the thing, Bruce went on to become a Man Utd legend but when they were both at Norwich, Dave was rated far higher (and captain).
By sheer coincidence I started work in Norwich in the summer of 86 when the transfer was going through. I joined a footy team and got loads of stick from the lads because Everton were stealing their Captain and defensive rock. The Norwich manager,Ken Brown,described it as “like having my right arm chopped off”.
It was great living in Norwich seeing us play in the League Cup(4-2 win for us) with Tricky Trev and Sheedy playing in the middle of the park in that game and, of course,the league winning game.
I don’t miss the drive back and forth to Liverpool!

By sheer coincidence I started work in Norwich in the summer of 86 when the transfer was going through. I joined a footy team and got loads of stick from the lads because Everton were stealing their Captain and defensive rock. The Norwich manager,Ken Brown,described it as “like having my right arm chopped off”.
It was great living in Norwich seeing us play in the League Cup(4-2 win for us) with Tricky Trev and Sheedy playing in the middle of the park in that game and, of course,the league winning game.
I don’t miss the drive back and forth to Liverpool!
Nice story mate...although we did lose to Norwich 4-2 in the 84/85 season when our defence wasn't as good.

Nice story mate...although we did lose to Norwich 4-2 in the 84/85 season when our defence wasn't as good.
Remember it…Mick Channon rolled back the years and gave our defence the run round.I seem to think he spent a lot of time finding space down our right side and attacking between Stevens and Mountfield.
Norwich had Asa Hartford playing as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.